Gaming PC build. 7970 Toxic 6 GB vs GTX 780?

whatwid

Hello!

First post  :D

I'm building a gaming pc and thought I had all the components figured out, but I just saw the GTX 780. 

I've looked at the Sapphire HD 7970 GHz Edition Toxic 6 GB, but will this be a better solution than the EVGA GTX 780.

From the look of it, it looks like the drivers for the 780 are better, more professional, makes it easier to overclock, and much more.

But in the 7970 you get 6GB of GPU ram, instead of the GTX 780s 3 GB of ram. But will this add performance or is it just on a multi-display setup it will be useful. 

I will only be using a 1080p display. 

The rest of the specs goes as follows: 

Intel i5-3570k - watercooled 

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Corsair Vengance 8 GB 1866mhz Ram 

Corsair CX 750M 

And the CM Storm Scout 2 case with 7 fans

If I made some mistakes listing up specs, be gentle :D

I appreciate all feedback and answers!

If you are running just one monitor, you don't need more then 3Gb frame buffer. In fact 3Gb will be enough in almost all cases and games. So get the 780.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

The 780 just CRUSHES anything else on the market except for the Titan (speaking of single GPU cards). Because you say you'll use only a 1080p monitor, get the 780, no matter what.Even in surround configurations, 3gb will be enough for a lot of time, and the 7970 will never have the horsepower to utilize the 6gb, maybe in crossfire setups, which i don't reccomend right now.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

if you have the money, go for the 780. Or you can also go with two 7970 and use radeon pro for the micro stuttering issue

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

The 780 just CRUSHES anything else on the market except for the Titan (speaking of single GPU cards). Because you say you'll use only a 1080p monitor, get the 780, no matter what.Even in surround configurations, 3gb will be enough for a lot of time, and the 7970 will never have the horsepower to utilize the 6gb, maybe in crossfire setups, which i don't reccomend right now.

Unless you plan to play Max Payne 3 and your resolution is 2560x1600 across 3 displays.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Unless you plan to play Max Payne 3 and your resolution is 2560x1600 across 3 displays.

I doubt the Titan will even do over 50 fps on that setup...

Okei, so what you are saying is that there is more power in the 780 than the 7970 6 GB.

I think I will go for the 780. Thanks for the awesome response and tips!

Turning out to be a great forum :D 

Go with the 780 :) It'll outperform the 7970 6GB even in higher resolutions and in Linus's benchmarks the 780 outperforms the 7970 clearly at 1080p where VRAM doesn't really matter. Even across a multimonitor setup the 780 will still beat the 7970 6GB since the 7970 doesn't have as much horsepower as the 780 despite having more VRAM

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I doubt the Titan will even do over 50 fps on that setup...

7970 can push almost 40FPS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

7970 can push almost 40FPS.

Overclocked or stock?

Overclocked or stock?

Lemme check.

I can't find the video. It was done by Elric Phares. But it was probably the Toxic 6GB card that Elric used.

Lemme check.

I can't find the video. It was done by Elric Phares. But it was probably the Toxic 6GB card that Elric used.

Okay, I've heard of similar situations. The 7970 6GB Toxic is mostly used by people gaming on a multi-monitor setups, and most of them says that is a really good card for their use. 

But I think using the 7970 6GB Toxic on a 27" 1080p monitor will be like putting 64 GB ram in a 32-bit windows machine, it wont take advantage of all the ram no matter how hard you try. (maybe not that extreme, but you get the point) 

What is the difference between 

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler

and 

EVGA GeForce GTX 780???

One of them comes overclocked out of the box and with a better cooler, but can't I just overclock the normal card to the same speeds and manage without the fancy new cooler? 

Of the 2 id take the one with the non reference cooler it will be quieter and cooler, though id personally get a pair of 7970s and CF them it will cost a little more but you get all the fre games and some extra performance with an AMD driver fix on the way to sort out the runt frames etc its the better option tbh

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

Thanks for the tip! But I think I will go for the 780, just because a friend of mine has to 7970 and I would very much like to have different card thats not AMD. 

Bad reason, but small differences makes a huge difference in a close race.