would this kill my new mobo?

Go to solution Solved by ButCanItBacon,

I'm actually wondering the same thing. Flying back home from my internship and I bought a couple parts from a local Microcenter here.

I'm wondering whether it's better to throw it in checked-in (packed in a ton of clothing and original packaging) or to take it with me.

I know everyone worries about the baggage handling, but in reality your items probably faced worse handling while being shipped from the facility with UPS to the store/your house and that was WITHOUT a case protecting them.

I want to take it as a carry on but I don't want to deal with TSA agents getting another reason (I'm a brown guy with a beard, already bad enough) to give me grief at security. 

don't worry, it clearly says on this page (http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=computer%20parts) that u can bring computer parts on a plane. Don't worry, if they give u any rubbish, just show them that link to shut them up and let u thru.

Hi, i'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks. I am buying an Asus Z97-A (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2MAU5Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) + Core i5 4690K (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWB9G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER).

When my mobo + cpu arrives, is it safe to put my cpu inside the mobo and put the mobo inside the box and then I can throw the Intel packaging away? Because this saves hassle. But the way baggage handlers throw your luggage around is unacceptable. Would my mobo be dead if I took it out of any protective packaging to put the cpu in and what is the risk of my mobo getting killed due to poor handling by baggage handlers at the airport? Should I surround the mobo box in clothes so that there is less chance of damage?

Thanks.

CPU+Cooler: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz + Corsair H105 (Getting custom loop soon)  GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC  RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB  Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero  PSU: Corsair AX860i  Case: Corsair Graphite 760T Black

Keep them separate for sure. Poor baggage handling with the CPU in the socket can bend some pins making the motherboard useless.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Why not just put it in a carry on bag?

Hi, i'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks. I am buying an Asus Z97-A (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2MAU5Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) + Core i5 4690K (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWB9G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER).

When my mobo + cpu arrives, is it safe to put my cpu inside the mobo and put the mobo inside the box and then I can throw the Intel packaging away? Because this saves hassle. But the way baggage handlers throw your luggage around is unacceptable. Would my mobo be dead if I took it out of any protective packaging to put the cpu in and what is the risk of my mobo getting killed due to poor handling by baggage handlers at the airport? Should I surround the mobo box in clothes so that there is less chance of damage?

Thanks.

well once your CPU is in the mobo it is pretty secure, but I wouldn't chance it. As @Davesmith4 said, take it with you on the plane.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Keep them separate for sure. Poor baggage handling with the CPU in the socket can bend some pins making the motherboard useless.

okay, i'll just keep the items in the boxes, thanks!

why are u taking it on holiday with u?

I am buying it on holiday, i'm not taking my mobo with me on holiday :D, im buying it.

CPU+Cooler: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz + Corsair H105 (Getting custom loop soon)  GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC  RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB  Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero  PSU: Corsair AX860i  Case: Corsair Graphite 760T Black

why are u taking it on holiday with u?

What you don't take your new mobo and CPU on a honeymoon?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Thanks.

It'd be more prone to physical damage to electrical however if you're traveling abroad with a 7+ hour flight you're probably prone to giving your motherboard an electro-static shock, be warned. Try to soften the box with clothing but cut a bit of thick corrugated cardboard to be the catalyst for the damage/impact.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

the idiots working for TSA may think it's a bomb  :P

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

okay, i'll just keep the items in the boxes, thanks!

I am buying it on holiday, i'm not taking my mobo with me on holiday :D, im buying it.

oh ok

That's not a bad idea.

well once your CPU is in the mobo it is pretty secure, but I wouldn't chance it. As @Davesmith4 said, take it with you on the plane.

I might do that instead.

Thanks.

put the headsink on and carry them

CPU: i7 4770 GPU: GTX Asus 760 CASE: Zalman Z11 Blue COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 STORAGE: 2TB Toshiba Hard Drive 120 GB SSD

I'd keep both in their own packaging, but put them in your luggage surrounded by clothes on all sides

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Seriously put it in a carry on bag. It would be much safer.

It'd be more prone to physical damage to electrical however if you're traveling abroad with a 7+ hour flight you're probably prone to giving your motherboard an electro-static shock, be warned. Try to soften the box with clothing but cut a bit of thick corrugated cardboard to be the catalyst for the damage/impact.

well i'm going on a nine hour flight. That is a good idea, but can't the motherboard box keep out all electricity? because motherboard boxes are cardboard and non conductive.

Seriously put it in a carry on bag. It would be much safer.

lol, I am bringing a ton of clothes, so i'll just put it in my suitcase. and what if i drop my carrier bag or something bumps it?

the idiots working for TSA may think it's a bomb :P

I had a foot long pair of scissors in my bad and got through. I didn't know they were there. Found them on the flight. They don't seem to care too much.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

well i'm going on a nine hour flight. That is a good idea, but can't the motherboard box keep out all electricity? because motherboard boxes are cardboard and non conductive.

No it can however when you're sleeping during your flight static-electricity will be produce due to the fabric on your clothing constantly creating friction.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

lol, I am bringing a ton of clothes, so i'll just put it in my suitcase. and what if i drop my carrier bag or something bumps it?

1. A small drop or bump probably won't do anything. 

2. Who do you trust more? Yourself or some underpaid overworked baggage handler chucking bags left and right?

1. A small drop or bump probably won't do anything. 

2. Who do you trust more? Yourself or some underpaid overworked baggage handler chucking bags left and right?

meh, carry on bag it is :D

Tie them both to your chest, under your shirt lol.

No but seriously, If I was doing something like that I would have to overnight it ahead of time. Airport baggage and security is so incompetent and malevolent I would be legit surprised if someone managed to get a mobo and cpu through without being damaged. Even if you carry it on in a bag, they will want to inspect it, which will undoubtedly give them the opportunity they need to break it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Tie them both to your chest, under your shirt lol.

No but seriously, If I was doing something like that I would have to overnight it ahead of time. Airport baggage and security is so incompetent and malevolent I would be legit surprised if someone managed to get a mobo and cpu through without being damaged. Even if you carry it on in a bag, they will want to inspect it, which will undoubtedly give them the opportunity they need to break it.

ah, true. Because there is metal in the box (obvs) so they will want me to open it.

ah, true. Because there is metal in the box (obvs) so they will want me to open it.

Not to mention, I think to carry electronics onboard you have to demonstrate they actually work now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

meh, carry on bag it is :D

Just so you can feed my ego would you mind making mine the best answer?

I have a tremendous ego so don't judge me

Not to mention, I think to carry electronics onboard you have to demonstrate they actually work now.

yep that is true. haha I would need a psu, ram and heatsink to demonstrate to them that it works -.-