Safe to plastidip motherboard heatsinks?

Gulrok

Hi everybody.

I saw linus new video and was wondering about plastidipping heatsinks.

I bought the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 board.

post-107988-0-08822300-1407087182.jpg

It is relatively ugly, but should function great. Wondering if it is possible to plastidip those heatsinks safely. Do I unscrew them? Or are they solidly on there? 

I had a computer.. and then I let FedEx ship it.

Well, it would decrease the efficiency of the heatsinks as you are insulating the thing that deals with the dissipation of heat from important places.

I wouldn't suggest doing it, but it's up to you.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Oh yeah it's "plasi" NOT good for heat decimation. 

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Test them out and if they get really hot then your answer is no, as they won't dissapate that heat that they're building up and fry the chips underneath. If they stay cool then you're usually alright. (most RAM heatsinks are for show unless you're doing major overclocking, so you're ok plastidipping them)

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Buy some heat resistant spray paint and do it that way. Typically the type they use on car engines and such, I've done it on a MSI Z87M and it works perfectly with no loss of heat dissipation.

i7 4770k  ¬ MSI Z87-M Gaming ¬ Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz ¬ R9 290x Crossfire ¬ Corsair 350D ¬ Corsair RM 1000

You do realize decimation is referring to killing right? It's heat dissipation.

dec·i·mate  (ds-mt)

tr.v. dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing, dec·i·mates

1. To destroy or kill a large part of (a group).

2. Usage Problem

a. To inflict great destruction or damage on: The fawns decimated my rose bushes.

b. To reduce markedly in amount: a profligate heir who decimated his trust fund.

3. To select by lot and kill one in every ten of.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

You might be able to remove the silver covers leaving just the black fins.

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

Paint them with proper paint instead. Black especially will actually increase the heat dissipation in comparison to the bare metal, although probably not to a degree that will be noticeable.

Awesome thanks guys!

I had a computer.. and then I let FedEx ship it.

One thing that I think has been missed here. If you're referring to the light metal shrouds which go over the black heatsinks, I think it'd be quite safe to plastidip those without affecting cooling much at all. Just be sure to remove/mask the actual heatsink before painting.

It'd probably be preferable to be able to remove the paint easily.

You do realize decimation is referring to killing right? It's heat dissipation.

actually, if you want to be technical, to decimate means to destroy 10% of something

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

actually, if you want to be technical, to decimate means to destroy 10% of something

Wow..so helpful (T_T)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Wow..so helpful (T_T)

I try my best  ;)

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Well, it would decrease the efficiency of the heatsinks as you are insulating the thing that deals with the dissipation of heat from important places.

I wouldn't suggest doing it, but it's up to you.

Well that's not actually correct. Technically it is, but the difference is too minuscule. All of the people that I've seen on the internet that painted/plasti-dipped their motherboard reported no difference in temperatures. To do the heatsinks, just leave them on the motherboard and mask off the areas around them, you will be perfectly fine just doing that. Go ahead and do it, there should be no risk to doing so.

"Well that's not actually correct." -  "Technically it is."

Do you even oxymoron?

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Paint them with proper paint instead. Black especially will actually increase the heat dissipation in comparison to the bare metal, although probably not to a degree that will be noticeable.

YEAH SCIENCE :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "