Torn between an AMD or Intel build.

The last computer I built was back in '06 so I'm looking to build something that can play most, if not all, games on their higher settings (not overly interested in Watch Dogs) and also have future upgrade capabilities. Small form factor was an initial goal of mine but now I'm just trying for a budget build around $600. I've come up with two builds.

AMD: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wrobes21/saved/XzmFf7

Intel: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wrobes21/saved/3j848d

Things like RAM and HDDs will change based on what I can currently find the cheapest at the time of purchase. I would prefer a small form factor but didn't see much in terms of AMD offerings unless I go the APU route which I don't know much about. I like the idea of the Pentium build being a 1150 socket so down the line I can hopefully drop a cheap i5 or i7 Haswell/Broadwell in a year or so from now.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm leaning more toward the Intel build but I just needed some second opinions.

definitely AMD if you cant change anything else

two threads on an intel CPU will crap out

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

two threads on intel might crap out eventually... But the thing overclocks like a monster. Even on a stock cooler you can hit 4.5Ghz leveling the playing field. I was pretty mad to see a 70 dollar 2 core cpu can keep up with my 4670k in crysis 3. It will basically be just as good in every game as a $1000 extreme edition processor. All except bf4. I would go with the pentium. Get a smaller psu and save a few bucks.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

The AMD build will steam roll the Intel build, simple as. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I understand that the AMD build is better right now but what about future upgrades? From what I've seen, people are saying AMD has all but given up on the AM3+ chips. So where will that leave me in a couple years when I want to update? Buying a new mobo and cpu?

Also, I have very little interest in any productivity applications. I won't be doing any video and/or photo editing/processing. I may install Photoshop but will probably rarely use any of the Adobe suite. 

Everyone is saying amd build but go ahead and look at benchmarks for the intel chip. It beats the fx processors in every single case except battlefield. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I've seen videos of BF4 (both single and multiplayer) running on the Pentium at it's highest settings and it seems to hold up just fine. Is there something I'm missing?

That amd build is much better than the intel one, however the areas where it shines are not related to gaming. As @ThyFeared said, get the athlon instead, it's much cheaper and in games performs about the same.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've seen videos of BF4 (both single and multiplayer) running on the Pentium at it's highest settings and it seems to hold up just fine. Is there something I'm missing?

No, it's just the only game where it has a SLIGHTLY lower average frame rate over higher core count cpus lol.

That amd build is much better than the intel one, however the areas where it shines are not related to gaming. As @ThyFeared said, get the athlon instead, it's much cheaper and in games performs about the same.

But think with an Athlon there is no upgrade path unlike AM3+ with 8 cores!

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

I'd go with the intel one because it leaves you an upgreadable path whereas with the amd build,you are on a dead end.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Intel then start saving for a i5. Until AMD can get there shit together, intel is the way to go.

I think I'm going to go with the Intel build only because my only upgrade path with the AMD build seems to be one of their APUs. I could buy an FM2+ board which should be backwards compatible with the Athlon then upgrade to a Steamroller APU. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like more of a lateral movement than a true upgrade.

But think with an Athlon there is no upgrade path unlike AM3+ with 8 cores!

The FM2+ platform is going to be supported for a very long time, unlike the AM3+ one (think about it: why haven't we seen any new cpus since the x3xx series? Because AMD is planning to discontinue the FX line due to insufficient sales). Even if there is no upgrade that would make sense now, in the future we'll probably see more athlons and more apus coming out for the FM2+ platform, which means you'll be able to upgrade to those.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I understand that the AMD build is better right now but what about future upgrades? From what I've seen, people are saying AMD has all but given up on the AM3+ chips. So where will that leave me in a couple years when I want to update? Buying a new mobo and cpu?

Also, I have very little interest in any productivity applications. I won't be doing any video and/or photo editing/processing. I may install Photoshop but will probably rarely use any of the Adobe suite. 

If you need future upgrades try the fm2+ socket. You can get the amd athlon 860k which will be releasing relatively soon with a gigabyte a88x g1.sniper for less money. I've heard rumors that fm2+ will be used until 2016.