NASA researchers find compelling evidence of a "fuelless" propulsion system

LukaP

Maybe energy has mass?

that would explain a lot.

jackie-chan-meme.jpg

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Wait its not a reality already?

Not quite yet. The president's of the countries of the world aren't wearing their sponsor logo's just yet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I just found this on Blinkfeed

News spread quickly this week that a propulsion system said to violate the laws of physics had been validated by no less an authority than NASA itself. Could a fuel-less space drive propelled by microwave thrust –something once deemed impossible – actually be possible? We spoke with some experts. Let's just say they're skeptical.

Above: Spaceship concept art by L.A.-based artist Cuba Lee

Earlier this week, Wired reported on an unusual engine designed and tested by researchers at NASA's Johnson Space Center. Dubbed the "Cannae drive," the propulsion system is similar to the so-called EmDrive, a "reactionless" engine proposed years ago by British engineer Roger Shawyer and popularized in a 2006 writeup in New Scientist. Both space drives are designed to convert electric power into thrust by bouncing microwaves around in a closed container, thereby eliminating the need for onboard propellant. The concept has been roundly criticized for appearing to violate the law of conservation of momentum.

And yet, Chinese scientists claimed last year to have built an EmDrive capable of producing thrust. Now, in a paper presented at last week's 50th Joint Propulsion Conference in Cleveland, Ohio, a team of NASA researchers claims its Cannae drive has also achieved thrust. Hence Wired's headline: "Nasa validates 'impossible' space drive."

But according to Drexel University physicist Dave Goldberg (io9's friendly neighborhood "Ask a Physicist" columnist), it's important to keep three things in mind, when claiming that NASA has validated the Cannae drive's "quantum vacuum virtual plasma," the hand-wavy concept by which the engine is purported to exert thrust:

A team of NASA researchers ≠ NASA, the organization. NASA is not a monolithic entity. It has hundreds of research groups that do their own work.
Extraordinary claims (for instance, that the Cannae drive violating conservation of momentum) require extraordinary evidence.
We simply don't have the data to make a judgment here yet.
CalTech physicist Sean Carroll, who, earlier this week, equated the notion of "propulsive momentum transfer via the quantum vacuum virtual plasma" to "nonsensical sub-Star-Trek level technobabble," had more to add, telling io9:

The business about "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" (the physics of which they "won't address" in this paper) is complete bullshit. There is a quantum vacuum, but it's nothing like a plasma. [The researchers] hook up a gizmo with all sorts of electromagnetic fields fluctuating around, then claim to measure an extremely tiny thrust (about the weight of a single grain of sand), which occurs even for the test article that wasn't supposed to produce any thrust at all.

Carroll's final point – that the researchers measured thrust not only when the drive was configured to produce it, but also when set up to do nothing at all – may be the most important takeaway of all. It's a point Mika McKinnon expands upon in her explanation below.

Sorry, guys to pop your bubble.

I think this is most likely to be a lab fluke.

@LukaP

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

iYOXpB3.gif

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

-snip-

I've been thinking about this a bit lately.

Maybe matter is made of energy, and vice versa.

made of the same thing, quantum strings or something.

It's hard to coherently explain.

Maybe radiative lensing could prove this?

Could this be a form of radiative lensing?

Woo!

I've been thinking about this a bit lately.

Maybe matter is made of energy, and vice versa.

made of the same thing, quantum strings or something.

It's hard to coherently explain.

Maybe radiative lensing could prove this?

Could this be a form of radiative lensing?

Energy can CONTRIBUTE to the mass of an object but it does not represent mass.

Let's not dig into string theory as it'll get us nowhere.

NASA said themselves that this might be the result of interactions with the quantum vacuum virtual plasma which is exciting, as we had no real practical use of such interactions prior to this.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan