Buy one GTX 780 or two GTX 780's?

Jonis

So finally the 780 is released, i've been waiting for this one for months now :P So to the question!

I am currently using a 470 and now its time to make the big leap! I have a 24" (1920x1080) 120hz screen and want to fully use those 120hz (atleast close to 120fps in games)

At the moment im not gaming any hard demanding games, but never know how it ends up in the future. so what do you guys think, go for a single GTX 780 or go for that SLI GTX 780?

1 780 then get a second later :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

For 120fps in most games you will definitely need 2x780s. Even then you won't get these FPS in games like Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

I would say for a 1920x1080 monitor , get a single 780 and later upgrade to SLI.

I've been thinking like you guys saying, "one now, and get one later" but dont know if its better or anything, maybe prices will drop, not much tho. And i do have the money for it (and lots to spare :P) but still dont want to just "throw" them away.

single 780 first and another one when the price start dropping.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'd be going with one first aswell, takeing the second one later on.

Current Rig:    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.3GHz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Edition | ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | ASUS AMD Radeon HD7950 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866MHz RAM

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 Watt PSU | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | ASUS DVD Writer | CM Storm Trooper Windowed Edition

Peripherals:    BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro | Func MS3 | Steelseries QcK | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown (on release)

Any ideas of the sort of games you are going to be playing in the near future? What sort of fps are you getting with your 470 at the moment? Like everyone says, get the single 780. Getting two 780's won't double you performance. Some games may get close to it, some may not do much better than a single 780. It depends on how well they are set up for SLI. By the sounds of it you aren't really too sure what you will be playing so you may never need a second 780. No point in forking out all that cash on a whim.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Get 1 GTX780 and if you're happy with the results, stay at one.

But if your games don't run smooth enough for your liking, buy an other one.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I will probably start gaming some Metro LL. But yeah, i will sttart with one card, and if im not satisfied i will get another one :) Thanks guys for the help, love this forum. Fast response like always :D

I'm ordering my EVGA GTX 780 now! :D

Thanks again!

// Jonis

With games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 3 you aren't going to be happy with just one 780 (if you really want nearly 120 FPS). You're going to want 2 780s...... at least. Of course I'm saying this only if your opinion is solely based on what you said in your original post about wanting 120FPS. 

metro_2033_1920_1200.gif

crysis3_1920_1200.gif

Wait for prices to go down(or not), get two then liquid cool 'em.

{B t t tk Pf t B t t tk Pf tk B Pf} <--- This is my language. BEATBOXING FOR LIFE!

Do not buy the gtx 780. If you do you are telling nvidia that $650 is an acceptable price.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Is the GTX 780 voltage locked?

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Do not buy the gtx 780. If you do you are telling nvidia that $650 is an acceptable price.

i paid a lot more in € a few months ago for the 680, i should go shopping in the us perhaps xD

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

do we have any 3way sli results yet? sort of want to see if its worth doing O.O

Character artist in the Games industry.

I have ordered one card already, planing on going watercooled system during this summer and then get another GTX 780 (If I dont like the preformance of one card) later this year.