PC vs Console, Pros and Cons of both

JujuShinobi

This debate about PC vs console has been going on for a very long while now and some people have addressed the issues really well while some people have not. I am here today to enlighten the general public about PC and console gaming and what are the pros and cons of both.

Let's start out with consoles. I myself plan to convert from a console guy to a PC gamer in about a years time after I'm done with my "finals" or entrance exams. So consoles... they are cheap to the average person and more people tend to play on it compared to a PC for games. Why you might ask? Most of the time it's due to already having a lot of friends who have the same console and play the same game as you. Either that or they didn't have the thought about building a gaming PC at the time. There may also be the possible reason that there is an exclusive title that the PC does not have and they really want to play it, like Halo 4 or Tales of Xillia. And to be perfectly honest... I cannot come up with many pro to owning a console. I mean, there is not really much to it. It's basically a small form factor PC that you cannot upgrade, is really noisy especially if you want to game without waking your parents, and 95% of its functions are meant for gaming. Not to mention those annoying 10-12 year olds who scream at their microphone when you ruin their killstreak or annoy the heck out of them. So yeah... consoles are not as great as I thought to be when I was young.

Now we talk about what we use practically everyday, the computer/PC. Before I start off, if you plan to getting a PC for gaming, do not get a laptop and build your own desktop. It's really not that difficult and if you do not have enough confidence in yourself to build it... you could always ask a friend or people like NCIX to build one for you. Okay, back to the main topic. The PC have multiple functions that it would probably take me a day to list it down. With the PC, you can watch YouTube videos, render or edit videos, livestream, talk on Skype and probably most important of all... gaming. And to those console lover out there who say that the PC is too expensive for them, I say go watch Tek Syndicate's builds. I can suggest a gaming computer build pretty easily if the budget is $400 or above. And if you are saying "I cannot use my controller which I am so used to using,", you can get a USB dongle thingy to plug into your computer and play your games from there. Or you could alternatively get some sort of gaming pad/controller from the people over at Logitech. One other major pro to having a PC over a console is Steam. With those Steam sales, you really cannot go wrong with getting a PC. Plus, it would probably save you more money in the long run. Another thing, you can also play some old games like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on your PC without any problems whatsoever, unlike when you try it on the Xbox360. If you want to upgrade? Well something like that wouldn't cost much as the parts you are probably changes are you CPU, GPU, RAM or motherboard. Honestly the main con I have about owning a PC over a console is that you have no excess to exclusive titles.

In conclusion, the PC basically overpowers the consoles in more than one way. And if you are planning to build a gaming computer but do not know what parts to get, you could always ask on the forums or reply to this thread. In my opinion, today is as good as any day to kill your console and get one heck of a gaming machine. If you might want to encourage your console friends to join you over at the PC side too so our community can grow. =)

I don't agree with consoles being cheaper.

If you look at it like PS3 - 300$ game PC - 1000$, yes.

But think of the stuff you need to buy extra when you have a console:a PC for browsing/work, and if you're like me, a TV (as I never watch TV, so I wouldn't own one yet) which can be considerably more expensive than a PC monitor. Not to mention that new games are typically up to 25$ more expensive for PS3 and 15$ for XBOX where I live, and as you said, I can get games for 50% off on steam.

If you make the calculations I don't think consoles are always that cheaper.

There's also exclusive titles for PC, think of a lot of MMORPG's, pretty much every Blizzard game, a HUGE amount of indies, ect. Yes, we have no Halo or whatever, but we do have a couple of games worth playing that are PC-exclusive

Last thing you forgot to mention was graphics (oh, and this is one console gamers hate) whether you want it or not, PC graphics just look better. They're rendered in 1080p (or higher) vs 720p upscaled to 1080p, they have Hi-res textures, AA, ... And let me tell you, no AA hurts my eyes...

Playing devil's advocate here slightly.

Not as many people have a use for a desktop anymore. So the argument "everyone has a computer, might as well turn it into a gaming computer" isn't relevant anymore. Their phones can do almost everything they need them to, and consoles also have their fair share of applications now too.

You cannot build a computer for the price of a console. Especially if you include OS. keyboard, mouse and monitor. You can get an Xbox 360, with everything you need except a TV for 140 dollars used at Gamestop. If you can build me a computer for 150 dollars with everything I need except a monitor I would love to see it.

Consoles and PCs both have amazing exclusives. Which are worth playing. I feel bad for people who don't get to play Twilight Princess/Uncharted/Red Dead Redemption/ZombiU, just because they are master race PC fanboys.

PCs have great indie games, but also have it's fair share of crappy ports. I would MUCH rather play Assassin's Creed III on my WiiU than my PC, and yes I have it for both. Got it for PC and it is damn near unplayable.

Steam has the piston console, so the Steam argument is kind of mute. Also many people prefer to actually own their games and have something physical, rather than have something you can't actually hold. I personally buy PC games on disc still if I can.

There are annoying 12 year olds screaming into the mic across all platforms, and that is what the mute button is for.

Sure you can't upgrade your Xbox, or your WiiU, or your PS3, but you also don't have to. When you buy that you KNOW what you will get out of it, unlike a PC which requires tweaking and debugging to get right.

Anyway, I'm a very big advocate that if you're a true gamer, you game across all systems and you don't call one superior to another, because they really aren't. Exclusive being one of the biggest reasons (Nintendo being an extremely big factor here, Mario, Kirby, Metroid, ZombiU, Zelda, Donkey Kong... these are game series that shouldn't be passed up). Price of course being another. Community being another. Really all you get out of gaming on a PC is better graphics and controls.

Also I'd like to say I'm not console fanboy I play all games I can on PC if they happen to span across all platforms (unless they are glitchy as hell like Assassin's Creed III as I said above). I'm just playing devil's advocate on most points, and giving my opinion on others.

But think of the stuff you need to buy extra when you have a console:a PC for browsing/work, and if you're like me, a TV (as I never watch TV, so I wouldn't own one yet) which can be considerably more expensive than a PC monitor. Not to mention that new games are typically up to 25$ more expensive for PS3 and 15$ for XBOX where I live, and as you said, I can get games for 50% off on steam.

There's also exclusive titles for PC, think of a lot of MMORPG's, pretty much every Blizzard game, a HUGE amount of indies, ect. Yes, we have no Halo or whatever, but we do have a couple of games worth playing that are PC-exclusive

Last thing you forgot to mention was graphics (oh, and this is one console gamers hate) whether you want it or not, PC graphics just look better. They're rendered in 1080p (or higher) vs 720p upscaled to 1080p, they have Hi-res textures, AA, ... And let me tell you, no AA hurts my eyes...

I would say I have to disagree. You can build a gaming PC of similar caliber to something like a 360. Getting something like an APU such as the A10-5800k would do you justice. Or maybe you could go for an i3 with a GTX650Ti? Those $1000 PCs are probably those with i5s and something like a 7870 or 660.

And I never really used AA so I don't really have a say in that matter

Not as many people have a use for a desktop anymore. So the argument "everyone has a computer, might as well turn it into a gaming computer" isn't relevant anymore. Their phones can do almost everything they need them to, and consoles also have their fair share of applications now too.

You cannot build a computer for the price of a console. Especially if you include OS. keyboard, mouse and monitor. You can get an Xbox 360, with everything you need except a TV for 140 dollars used at Gamestop. If you can build me a computer for 150 dollars with everything I need except a monitor I would love to see it.

Consoles and PCs both have amazing exclusives. Which are worth playing. I feel bad for people who don't get to play Twilight Princess/Uncharted/Red Dead Redemption/ZombiU, just because they are master race PC fanboys.

PCs have great indie games, but also have it's fair share of crappy ports. I would MUCH rather play Assassin's Creed III on my WiiU than my PC, and yes I have it for both. Got it for PC and it is damn near unplayable.

Steam has the piston console, so the Steam argument is kind of mute. Also many people prefer to actually own their games and have something physical, rather than have something you can't actually hold. I personally buy PC games on disc still if I can.

There are annoying 12 year olds screaming into the mic across all platforms, and that is what the mute button is for.

Sure you can't upgrade your Xbox, or your WiiU, or your PS3, but you also don't have to. When you buy that you KNOW what you will get out of it, unlike a PC which requires tweaking and debugging to get right.

Anyway, I'm a very big advocate that if you're a true gamer, you game across all systems and you don't call one superior to another, because they really aren't. Exclusive being one of the biggest reasons (Nintendo being an extremely big factor here, Mario, Kirby, Metroid, ZombiU, Zelda, Donkey Kong... these are game series that shouldn't be passed up). Price of course being another. Community being another. Really all you get out of gaming on a PC is better graphics and controls.

Also I'd like to say I'm not console fanboy I play all games I can on PC if they happen to span across all platforms (unless they are glitchy as hell like Assassin's Creed III as I said above). I'm just playing devil's advocate on most points, and giving my opinion on others.

I have to say that what you said is very well worded and I have to apologies for thinking very much in depth. Yeah with the SteamBox coming out sometime soon... the PC vs Console debate has been put on hold one could say. And if you look at benchmarks of PC components, you can roughly gauge the performance you get.

So right now right I am thinking is... its mainly about personal preference and about how much you are willing to spend to game.

And I come across 12 year olds screaming over the microphone more often on the Xbox/PS3 than on the PC. But that's just me

PC Pros: Superior consoles, can upgrade whenever without having to spend $1000 on a completely new system which is outdated even before it's released, better multitasking, better optimization.

PC Cons: Next to no support from game devs (bar valve).

-

Console Pros: Full support from game devs.

Console Cons: Terrible controls, not to no optimization, paying out the ass for an outdated system, Bad multitasking, terrible community, having to pay to play online (Xbox) on top of paying for your internet. Most games if not all games can't run 1080p as well as not even being able to run all the textures or AA.

PC Pros: Superior consoles, can upgrade whenever without having to spend $1000 on a completely new system which is outdated even before it's released, better multitasking, better optimization.

-

Console Cons: Terrible controls, not to no optimization, paying out the ass for an outdated system, Bad multitasking, terrible community, having to pay to play online (Xbox) on top of paying for your internet. Most games if not all games can't run 1080p as well as not even being able to run all the textures or AA.

Yeah that was sort of the thing I was trying to say. And my PS3 keeps crashing when I try to browse the net... it's ridiculous

but you cant play split screen on a PC on very many games. in order to play multiplayer on a PC with your friends you have to build your own LAN. if any one wants to disagree with this i have my own thread on split screen on a pc but the lego games are about the only games that will play multi player. So think if i play with my four freinds and they dont want to haul thier system over i need 4 of your gaming PCs at 400 dollars apiece which is far less that a PS3 or an XBOX 360. if you have a solution to this problem please tell me but i cant find a way to play multiplayer on my single PC.

I've saved like 100€ on games compared to what I would've had to spend on console, within about 6 months.

Why I prefer PC:

More games, better games and an overall better experience.

For that, I'm very willing to spend more money.

I prefer pc due largely to the genre of games I like being substantially better on pc (rts and fps). But I also liked having consoles for playing with friends, though most have since moved onto pc gaming.

In terms of cost, I use my pc for more than just gaming so the cost was not a hard thing for me to swallow (plus it's really not that much money with a decent job).

I have no issue with people preferring to play on console, people should play games in whatever format they enjoy the most, it does not in any way detract from my own enjoyment.

PC Pros for me:

fluid multitasking

plenty of third party programs to add soooo much functionality

indie market

almost always has smoother running multiplat game

Console pros:

exclusive games :3

La`~

And i feel bad for people that don't get to play modded games like GTA, Skyrim, minecraft, fsx... btw since a got a decent gaming pc i can't go back to ps3, play games at upscaled hd games at 30 fps or even less. and in my opinion there are more exclusives for pc than for ps3 or xbox360, including free games.

And i feel bad for people that don't get to play modded games like GTA' date=' Skyrim, minecraft, fsx... btw since a got a decent gaming pc i can't go back to ps3, play games at upscaled hd games at 30 fps or even less. and in my opinion there are more exclusives for pc than for ps3 or xbox360, including free games.[/quote']

I feel bad for those people too. That is why I have Uncharted on PS3, Halo on Xbox, and Skyrim for PC. I never said there weren't good exclusives for PC, I actually stated there were, I'm saying there are good exclusives across all platforms, and people are missing out by being fanboys.

You can't compare a used console to building something brand new...plus there probably is a pc used that is about the same price. Now if you do the price of xbox 250 or ps3 which I think is still 300 you can build a pc that beats both. Also for an operating system go with linux mint or ubuntu you can still play a lot of windows games fine, plus valve has commited a lot to linux so no telling what could happen.

As for my answer to this question I used to play consoles thinking I don't have to do any thinking when I buy games. Well I grew up and realized how much better PCs are to consoles. With that said I own a 360 and wii for exclusives. If I didn't have school and planning to move soon I would probably own all the systems.

So like you I play all of my games on PC if they work well and then my xbox if needed, because it does seem like the devs like consoles more (guess cause they are locked down, well unless you hack them lol).

-

Yeah JujuShinobi, whenever i browse the net with my ps3 i always have to load one page at a time or do things slowly otherwise it will crash

MY BUILD CONSISTS OF

• Case: Corsair 600T White Edition
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.50GHz
  • HSF: Corsair H100
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3 Revision
  • SSD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
  • HDD1: Western Digital Black 500GB (Storage)
  • HDD2: Western Digital 320GB (Music)
  • HDD3: Toshiba 120GB (SSD Backup)
  • PSU: SilverStone Strider Plus 850w

Well the split screen experience is not really fun unless you somehow hooked up dual or triple TVs. So I would not really call that a con

You can't compare a used console to building something brand new...plus there probably is a pc used that is about the same price. Now if you do the price of xbox 250 or ps3 which I think is still 300 you can build a pc that beats both. Also for an operating system go with linux mint or ubuntu you can still play a lot of windows games fine' date=' plus valve has commited a lot to linux so no telling what could happen. As for my answer to this question I used to play consoles thinking I don't have to do any thinking when I buy games. Well I grew up and realized how much better PCs are to consoles. With that said I own a 360 and wii for exclusives. If I didn't have school and planning to move soon I would probably own all the systems. So like you I play all of my games on PC if they work well and then my xbox if needed, because it does seem like the devs like consoles more (guess cause they are locked down, well unless you hack them lol).[/quote']

You can get a new Xbox for 200.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consoles/xbox-360-4gb-console/78479

I'd still love to see someone build a gaming computer (don't forget operating system) for 200 dollars.

Pc pros: if you build your own you can charge people to build theirs or get a job doing it :D

modular so you can upgrade as and when needed

better in gameplay controls and graphics, also community (love u guys)

pc cons: can be a bit expensive but when you look at what your getting its worth it

console pros: exclusives

console cons: (theres too many to list)

That is still unfair to the PC because if you owned a console you would still need a $600.00 laptop for facebook, email, web browsing,ect.

"No signature"

i believe that a split screen experience is not what many people do anymore, it takes to much away from the game and the best way to do it would be to use multiple monitors on a computer, of course this would be difficult but at least it wouldn't detract from the experience

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

You made an interesting point about missing some titles, well i for one have a wii in my house which collects dust, i would rather play it using an emulator on my computer, for a few reasons.

I can use which ever controller i use, i can change resolutions, add effects like AA, make better save games, cheats; all sorts of things that add to the experience.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

That is still unfair to the PC because if you owned a console you would still need a $600.00 laptop for facebook' date=' email, web browsing,ect.[/quote']

Last time I checked I could web browse on my Wii, which includes email and facebook if I really wanted. Not to mention smart phones. Not to mention I believe you are misusing the word "need", no one NEEDS any of that. Also the last time I checked I have an old computer that I couldn't even sell for 75 dollars that is good enough for "facebook email and web browsing."

I just felt the need to point out that the whole "Consoles have horrible controls" is true; however, there is a way around this. There are adapters that you can buy to use a Keyboard/Mouse directly with a PS3/Xbox 360 as if it were a controller. The XIM Edge has a 1:1 ratio of control meaning that it doesn't feel gimmicky. Yes, it makes consoles even MORE expensive, but it's something to consider.

http://store.xim3.com/XIM3_p_12.html <--- the product I speak of. I just found these. Didn't know they existed until now.

Also, PC gaming is not expensive. Console gaming is.

I can build a computer right now for less than $300 that will play Skyrim at 1080p @ 30 FPS at Medium settings. That's either equal to or better than Console quality, plus it can do more than a console or at least do it better (console browsers are ok at best).

Steam sales make PC gaming cheaper by far. I bought the THQ collection which cost me $25 for a total of $200 worth of games. That may be a special case considering the state THQ has been in, but still, that's amazing savings that I'd NEVER find for consoles. And I got Darksiders 2 in that bundle, which is a fairly new game.

The only people who believe PC gaming is more expensive are the ones who don't know enough about it. You don't need Windows and there are legal ways to get it for free. You have to re-install it once every 3-4 months, but eh, that's not that hard. 90% of the people who would buy a PC have a TV with an HDMI input, so you already have a monitor.

You get the idea, PC gaming is less expensive than Console gaming for better quality. Simple as that.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Happy Birthday! Your 25$ computer http://www.raspberrypi.org/

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

• 3 weeks later...

I can't stand the whole "Consoles are cheaper" bullshit argument. 99% of people that have a console will also have a laptop or desktop of some-sort. Instead of having a 300-400 dollar laptop and a 200 dollar console why not just get 500-600 gaming computer? My rig is only about 650 bucks and it's liquid cooled, runs smooth, plays ANY game at high-max settings, and I have the convenience of being able to play games while communicating with my friends on facebook or steam. Also with all of the sales and shit on steam you really save alot of money on games, plus their are some awesome pc exclusives.