Buying a New Laptop, Doesn't Come With Recovery Disc, How Do I Make My Own?

EChondo

I have decided to go with a MSI GS60 laptop, mainly because of its thinness and versatility(to a certain extent). However, the laptop doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive so the laptop doesn't come with a recovery disc.

So I would like to create my own recovery disc/image in the case of a failure. I recently bought a LG Ultra Slim external DVD drive as an accessory for this laptop and also because the family kind of needs one we can all share for the rare event we need one!

With that being said...I don't know where to begin or how to go about this. I want to be able to completely wipe the laptop if need be and be able to reinstall the OEM install. Are there specific tools or ways to go about this? I mainly want it as a disc so I can put it in a case and keep it with all my other software installations, but if it's more appropriate to create an image and use a flash drive, then I can work with that as well.

Thanks for any and all help! 

I have decided to go with a MSI GS60 laptop, mainly because of its thinness and versatility(to a certain extent). However, the laptop doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive so the laptop doesn't come with a recovery disc.

So I would like to create my own recovery disc/image in the case of a failure. I recently bought a LG Ultra Slim external DVD drive as an accessory for this laptop and also because the family kind of needs one we can all share for the rare event we need one!

With that being said...I don't know where to begin or how to go about this. I want to be able to completely wipe the laptop if need be and be able to reinstall the OEM install. Are there specific tools or ways to go about this? I mainly want it as a disc so I can put it in a case and keep it with all my other software installations, but if it's more appropriate to create an image and use a flash drive, then I can work with that as well.

Thanks for any and all help! 

Search google for the version of windows you have... For example: "Windows 8.1 iso".

One of the first links will be from microsoft, where you'll be able to download the iso file. You can then put that iso file onto a bootable flash drive. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

you could use the built in windows backup tool.

it will take you through a wizard.. pretty straight forward.

most laptops come with a recovery parition. sometimes hidden.

there may be a special command you press during startup to trigger the factory restore process. consult your user manual

Search google for the version of windows you have... For example: "Windows 8.1 iso".

One of the first links will be from microsoft, where you'll be able to download the iso file. You can then put that iso file onto a bootable flash drive. 

i found this impossible, as devices with windows 8.1 preinstalled do not have the installation key stuck to the device to enter into the installation wizard

perhaps using something like magicaljellybean to extract the current key will work, but i read somewhere that oem installs ask for a installation key and a product key... hmmm

But you can't download a Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft. He won't have a Windows Product Key, since they are now tied to the motherboard for most laptops now.

He would have to *shudder* torrent it. I do not advocate nor reccomend torrenting paid content.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

i found this impossible, as devices with windows 8.1 preinstalled do not have the installation key stuck to the device to enter into the installation wizard

Thats very strange....Every pre-built computer I've ever seen (including several friends' computers w/ 8) all have the windows key on a sticker on the bottom. 

But you can't download a Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft. He won't have a Windows Product Key, since they are now tied to the motherboard for most laptops now.

He would have to *shudder* torrent it. I do not advocate nor reccomend torrenting paid content.

You can deuatorhize computers to transfer a copy of windows. But, if he's installing it on the same motherboard, it wouldn't be an issue anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

perhaps using something like magicaljellybean to extract the current key will work, but i read somewhere that oem installs ask for a installation key and a product key... hmmm

They only ask for an activation key. I work in a repair store that offers upgrades to 8.1, all it asks for is a product key. 

Also getting the ISO from a torrent is fine. When you buy 8.1 you don't pay for the data on the disk or the disk itself. Microsoft doesn't give a shit about that. You pay for a license to use that product . It's why they've offered all their ISO's on their website for a long time. Why they stopped, I have no clue.

Thats very strange....Every pre-built computer I've ever seen (including several friends' computers w/ 8) all have the windows key on a sticker on the bottom. 

You can deuatorhize computers to transfer a copy of windows. But, if he's installing it on the same motherboard, it wouldn't be an issue anyway. 

I am not saying activation is an issue. Obtaining an ISO is the issue.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

yeah its all weird now.

oem devices have their windows product key embedded inside the bios/cmos

i have a number of windows 8 laptops here. they have the windows 8 badge/sticker but not the product key as it was with windows 7 and before

ive also purchased some OEM installations of windows 8..  no sticker included, just the key on the packaging

to download windows 8.1 legitimately, you either have to be a technet subscriber, or buy the product - oem or retail

my research also said that using a retail disc on a device with windows8.1 preinstalled, the wizard will bypass the product key step.

You could create a recovery disk in which you are able to refresh your PC (reinstall windows 8) or reset (format and install windows 8):http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

or

Download an ISO from Microsoft and burn it to a disk (not sure if laptop product codes would work on this): http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

If you want an OEM refresh (includes all the oem programs and applications), you could clone the drive using a cloning software like Macruim Reflect when you get your laptop and if you mess up your computer for some reason you are able to return to stock by restoring the image: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You could create a recovery disk in which you are able to refresh your PC (reinstall windows 8) or reset (format and install windows 8):http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

or

Download an ISO from Microsoft and burn it to a disk (not sure if laptop product codes would work on this): http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

thats where the problem is though.

the windows 8 installation tool described on that site requires u to punch in your windows product key - which is non-existent on OEM devices

i bought a used Dell Laptop that has a windows 8 badge on it,but it was loaded with windows 7.

even til now i cant get windows 8 installed onto it without it asking for a product key.  the installation asks for a product key despite articles saying that this step should be bypassed if a valid windows 8 key is embedded and deteched in the bios

If you want an OEM refresh (includes all the oem programs and applications), you could clone the drive using a cloning software like Macruim Reflect when you get your laptop and if you mess up your computer for some reason you are able to return to stock by restoring the image: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx 

This is what I want. Thanks, I will check it out and see what the free trial offers or find a different piece of software that has similar cloning capabilities.

To everyone else, I already have a Windows 8 disc and product key, but my main focus is creating an image from the OEM install of the laptop. I want to be able to "reset" the laptop to how it is when I first boot up it(well, after the setup process I mean).

seriously, may be worth checking what the restore process is with your laptop.

ive sold quite a few laptops (albeit business oriented ones) all of which have a recovery partition if not discs, for the exact same purposes you're wanting

maybe hold F8 during bootup. there may be an option that says "repair computer"

seriously, may be worth checking what the restore process is with your laptop.

ive sold quite a few laptops (albeit business oriented ones) all of which have a recovery partition if not discs, for the exact same purposes you're wanting

maybe hold F8 during bootup. there may be an option that says "repair computer"

Will do! I used to work in tech support for a school district and we used tools to extract the Windows 8 OEM key off of the computer and we backed up the install of the computers, but I can't remember the program we used...I know it was at the BIOS level before the OS even loaded up, might give them a call later on...

Oh and I haven't received the laptop yet, it's to be delivered Friday, but I wanted to start researching this now and getting it setup so I'll be ready for when I do have it.

Make a windows 8 recovery disk, which will allow you to boot into safe mode as well as restore from a system image if for some reason you can't boot into windows. Also, create regular system images