Would it be possible to make a modular SSD?

LePawel

Hey guys,

I just read a little about the new Xbox and its half TB HDD and I thought:

Would it be technically and technologically possible to integrate the controller and all the essentials and expensive stuff found in a standard SSD onto a single 5.25" size module, and then just create a bunch of custom slots for memory modules? This way you could buy games on small memory chips on a PCBs, click them in and go (talking mainly about consoles here)... maybe restart the device or 'refresh' the drive(s).

What do you think?

It definitely sounds possible, but doesn't sound like a good idea. The manufacturing costs would be through the roof and it doesn't really make any sense when you have the cloud right there at your disposal.

yeah that sounds very doable {reminds me of a gameboy :-)} and with the prices of flash memory its pretty cheap maybe if you made them rewritable and then all you would need is one or two slots and a pc [probable] as a mass storage device for all your games.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

2 different opinions so far, I think the module could be expensive... but the flash itself not as much. All old consoles used cartridges, and as far as my young brain can go, I did not pay a lot for a single one of those at that time. And let's face it, cloud does not give you 500MBps to

quickly

Yea, check this out!

Photofast_8SD_SSD.JPG

Another view:

CR-9200x668.jpg

The PhotoFast CR-9200 and CR-9000

Here's what it looks like in SSD drive form:

CR-9000_Review_02.jpg

Some spec's here: http://www.photofast.tw/forum/page01.asp?id=101

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

So.. a return to game cartridges is what you are saying.. like the 3DS, where it has 2 game cartridge slot, and you can switch between the two.

A good idea in principal, also it can allow custom processors or features to be installed. Like the SNES, you had Super FX chip, or games with more memory, Cx4, DSP chips, S-RTC chip and many other. That is what made the NES and SNES very special.

It made the cartridge kinda like a mini console... or well part of one where the expensive components are on the main system.

Sadly, it cost a lot of money. When disk came to be, everyone switch to them, as it allowed much increased profit, and drop in price.

For example, the game Chrono Trigger on the SNES, was like 80-90$ (although, it was the Crysis back then, but with a super good story).. and that was BACK THEN... add inflation. No one will be willing to cash out for a 100$ game today. Already, talks for 70$ games, makes people not comfortable at all.

What if flash prices come down near the cd/dvd range?. Im not talking full complex cardridges. Just memory with all the expensive stuff on the main system to save on costs. Plus consolers themselves cause such ridiculous game prices and dlcs... Or should I say patches? You used to get bug fixes and new maps for free.

Companies invent new ways to earn money, they implement them and cod fanboys buy them