Thermal Paste dried up, Safe to reuse it ?

Go to solution Solved by antoainb,

You shouldn't reuse thermal paste that has been applied, you need to clean it.

Hey guys !

So had problems with mounting my H105 so I'm waiting on spare parts that should arrive soon.

The thermal paste was applied but i took the cooling block back off leaving the thermal paste to dry on it.

Will thermal paste melt again when the cooling block is on + CPU is working ?

Or do i really need to get myself a new tube+ clean it (isoproply alcohol + microvezel cloth) ?

PS:I haven't been able to boot system for first time since i had this h105 mounting problem.

Thanks in advance !

4690k==H105==Z97 Sniper G1== Ballistix Tracer 8GB==MSI GTX 1660 Ti== 1TB SB==MX100 128GB ==450D

You shouldn't reuse thermal paste that has been applied, you need to clean it.

i'm a potato

its super cheap for more just go get some and save yourself some trouble

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

@antoainb

@Askew

@hammerslap1

Thanks for the quick replys ! going clean + apply new one then.

Going to have to wait even longer to finish my build :(

4690k==H105==Z97 Sniper G1== Ballistix Tracer 8GB==MSI GTX 1660 Ti== 1TB SB==MX100 128GB ==450D

@antoainb

@Askew

@hammerslap1

Thanks for the quick replys ! going clean + apply new one then.

Going to have to wait even longer to finish my build :(

Better to wait and have it done properly, it's an important part of the process and it's good that you are going to wait.

TOOTHPASTE

The results of that would be... interesting...

i'm a potato

@Askew

Hey, well would it be a good idea to clean off the thermal paste and just temporary instal the intel stock cooler ?

Untill i get my new paste + replacement h105 parts ?

@Askew

Hey, well would it be a good idea to clean off the thermal paste and just temporary instal the intel stock cooler ?

Untill i get my new paste + replacement h105 parts ?

If the stock cooler still has its pre-applied compound on it then yes that is a good idea.

Obviously remove any overclocks and set the CPU speed/voltage to stock when using the stock cooler or it wil bake.

If the stock cooler still has its pre-applied compound on it then yes that is a good idea.

Obviously remove any overclocks and set the CPU speed/voltage to stock when using the stock cooler or it wil bake.

Sounds good, the stock cooler is completely new and unused.

The PC never booted up for the first time so their wont be any overclocks, good reminder though :)

you have to watch that video  :lol:  It's german, but i think you can get most of it from just watching^^

i mean - Ketchup FTW

Oh dear lord...  :blink:

I feel like the long term abilities and effects of those substitute TIMs would be awful.  

Interesting that the ketchup was the best.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was the water content of the ketchup that resulted in the good performance.  Over time that would certainly corrode one's components and the water would escape.  I imagine tomato paste is slightly lest good at being a TIM  :D

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

• 7 years later...

My Experience:

I reused the pre-added thermal paste to make a quick test to my old E8400 and it runs at 1.05 Ghz with reused thermal paste, and the OC makes it crashes if I open a program, I can only open minimum programs (except Task Manager) the start menu works so I pressed shutdown.

Next I removed the old thermal paste and try out the new color white clay-like thermal paste that cost 4 times as..... the old thermal paste I use :(, but it runs at 3.01 Ghz not OC and it can run roblox with it, then I cranked up the BIOS and made this a beast.

(Thinking I might have damaged the cpu because of overheating)

Don't reuse thermal paste that is dry and killed my "E7500 Core 2 Duo "& "Q8300 Core 2 Quad"

I'm struggling to use with my old E8400