Ipmi Isuue (Fixed)

Madmanchris1

So i reset my Freenas, and i always have to go into the bios and then the boot menu to start up freenas. (Plugins Pains that's why i reset) 

I have been using the Ipmi interface because i didn't bring a VGA screen when i moved out of parents house.

I can sign into the bms and do all the controls but when i go into console viewer ( on screen bios interface) it says "Maximum number of allowable sessions reached, please close other sessions and try again"  But i don't have any other sessions open? restarting the board does not work (turning off and on) 

To view the bios screen i am using Jviewer 

Java is fine. 

I can get a screen capture of the bios in the dashboard though. 

Motherboard is ASrock C2750d4i

8gb of ECC ram is installed.

Has anyone got any ideas? 

i would go my old screen but that's 50 miles away and I've been there once today annoyingly. 

Thanks for looking and helping. 

EDIT: after turning it off, i unplugged it at the wall. turned it back on and now i cant even access the bcm through the ip address. when i go into my bt home hub to see what's connected and their addresses it says that no Ethernet is attached. the internet access was also playing up so i might try resetting my bt home hub. otherwise i think I'm going to have to go get a screen :(

Edited by Madmanchris1

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

I'm a bit more radical... Woz

Looks like your going to need to get a screen on the machine.

Your maximum amount of allowed connections may have changed.  In terms of whats just happened with the IP.  Its a possibility you have just managed to reset the card some how....  who knows.  Try what ever the default address is of the card when its reset to factory defaults.  See what happens.   

Check you have a link up on the port its connected to.

Other option is maybe ask if you can borrow a friends screen for a few hours or something  just so you can do some trouble shooting with out too much effort.

Sometimes it takes a while for the IPMI interface to come back up. Can you ping the IP address of the IPMI interface?

If not, then it might not be up. If it is, then there's a larger problem.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Fixed

I reset my router (BT home hub) and still nothing happened, I was giving up hope when I saw they have smart set up feature enabled on the hub so it would have been configuring all my devices that were attached. I thought that it could have just been something to do with that.

so I reset my router again disconnected every thing and then once the hub had done its thing I connected the Nas and then enabled the smart feature. it assigned it a new IP-address but it recognised the Ethernet was there.

I can now access the BMC (through a different address) and when I did console viewer it worked!

so I can now got fix my freenas. Its pulled out a wildcard (literally says wild card activated haha) and changed the freenas IP-address as well.

Thanks for the help guys!  

Looks like your going to need to get a screen on the machine.

Your maximum amount of allowed connections may have changed.  In terms of whats just happened with the IP.  Its a possibility you have just managed to reset the card some how....  who knows.  Try what ever the default address is of the card when its reset to factory defaults.  See what happens.   

Check you have a link up on the port its connected to.

Other option is maybe ask if you can borrow a friends screen for a few hours or something  just so you can do some trouble shooting with out too much effort.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I had asked the few people i know here and none of them had a vga cable. 

Sometimes it takes a while for the IPMI interface to come back up. Can you ping the IP address of the IPMI interface?

If not, then it might not be up. If it is, then there's a larger problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't ping it nothing was showing up for it I was quite worried aha. I'm going to log out of the console viewer now every time I open it in case that's what started it. 

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

@Madmanchris1 you might want to consider making your FreeNAS box and IPMI interface static IPs. I recommend the first IP address in your subnet (192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.3 if you have a dedicated DHCP server) for the FreeNAS box, and the last one (192.168.1.253) for the IPMI interface. Makes it simpler.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

@Madmanchris1 you might want to consider making your FreeNAS box and IPMI interface static IPs. I recommend the first IP address in your subnet (192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.3 if you have a dedicated DHCP server) for the FreeNAS box, and the last one (192.168.1.253) for the IPMI interface. Makes it simpler.

Thanks I will look into that. Would that be in my router setting (manually set up the IP-address's for my devices). or would  I do that on the Freenas& bmc ?

I need to learn more about networking. 

@Madmanchris1 You can just tell FreeNAS to use an IP (do it from the CLI menu), and your router should detect that. If some other device is using it, shut that device down first, then the router will detect that FreeNAS is using a static IP. You can do something similar with your IPMI interface.