Why the Xbox One could be Awesome (and you guys need to calm down)

Theodore-Cain

Give me like 30 seconds here:

Everyone is overlooking the fact that this machine runs on Windows 8 code. 

Why is that a good thing?

If the Xbox gaming framework sits on WinRT code, Microsoft could make the Xbox framework available for install on all Windows 8 PCs**.  So you could run Xbox games in your living room or desktop.

**this is my theory—it was not proven right or wrong by today’s press release.

Like their Windows and Office products, Microsoft doesn’t care what hardware you play Xbox games on as long as you’re paying for their software.  We all know they make more money on software than hardware anyway.  The Xbox brand could be more of a feature of Windows 8, and the Xbox One would be their uniform HTPC (similar to how the SurfaceRT is a benchmark WindowsRT device). 

Why do I think this will happen?

-The Verge reported that upcoming Xbox games will install to HDD and presumably authenticate like a PC game.

-“Xbox One” is a fitting title if this is their first hardware in a brand new console paradigm

-Their PR has been very careful to talk about the Xbox “platform”

-I can’t imagine a single feature of today’s presentation that Microsoft won’t want to add to Windows 8

-The used games policy would be understandable if the disc were playable on PC

-For many more reasons (below) I think they would crush the competition

-If they don’t do it, console gamers will hate them

-If they don’t do it, the hackers will find a way

Why this would be good for PC gamers:

Games would no longer have to be “ported” from Xbox to PC.  The code that works on the Xbox Console would just work on your Windows 8 PC.  No hacking, no emulating, no modding.  Developers would no longer have to decide when and if they port.  Games would simply be developed for Windows 8.  Although developers would want to ensure compatibility with Xbox hardware, extended graphics settings could be available to traditional desktop gamers.   There is a fear that future Xbox titles would not be designed to take advantage of anything more than the inherently limited Xbox One hardware, but I think the potential of bringing the entire Xbox community into the desktop gaming market can only mean good things.

Why this would be good for console gamers:

First off you might not have to buy new hardware.  You may be able to just use your current Windows 8 machine.  Similar to Project Sheild and Wii U, you could seamlessly move your game from your TV to your PC or Windows 8 tablet.  The Xbox One hardware will still offer the stability and compatibility that we expect from consoles, and will be a great living room device if you’re in the market for one of those.

My favorite thing:

Can you imagine release day?  “Oh you didn’t preorder a new Xbox?  That’s okay, because your PC is now an Xbox.”   <-That’s how you convince people to upgrade to Windows 8.

Who would buy an Xbox if you can just get all the games on your Windows 8 PC?

1-People who want the guaranteed compatibility of a console experience.  2-People who don’t want to rig their laptop to their TV when they play in the living room, and 3-people who are already in the market for a streaming box or Home Theatre PC (HTPC). 

Why this is bad for M$ haters:

With consoles, success always comes down to who has the best games.  Playstations are wonderful.   Any console gamer with any sense at all would skip the Xbox One, buy a Playstation 4 and update their PC to Windows 8 (that way you can play ALL the games!)(except Luigi MansionL).  For many of us, the cost of converting our PC to Xboxes would be as low as the $119.99 for the Windows 8 update plus a $40 controller.  But regardless of who sells more consoles at launch, Windows 8 (and by extension the Xbox platform) would have a larger user base.  Down the road, Sony would have a significantly more difficult time attracting developers now that Microsoft has consolidated their gaming base. .

For years we’ve heard that Microsoft wants the Xbox to be the center of your living room, and Windows 8 should make Xbox One a formidable HTPC.  Whether you like it or not, the Windows 8/Surface campaign has had major penetration, and Apple has yet to hit back.  Although Apple is an undeniable titan in the world of media consumption, it seems as though Microsoft has rolled out an entirely new consumer ecosystem (W8, Xbox, WinRT/ARM tablets, WP8) in the time that Apple came out with… what?  A smaller iPad?  (To be fair, I am certain that Apple’s next iOS, OSX, and maybe Steve’s-TV-thing products will actually SHIP before we can even preorder an Xbox One). 

No one cares that the old Xbox was a “media center extender”—that’s too complicated for bro’s.  But now that everything is Windows 8 with the pretty tiles, the experience is finally cohesive.  (The media consumption is cohesive; doing work with no start button is apparently terrifying).  I don’t expect a mass exodus from Macworld to Microsoftland, but the cohesion of Windows 8 media experiences is finally on par with Apple branding.  Extending the homogeneous shiny-tiles to living room devices poses the first substantial competition to the contemporary Apple consumiverse.  Each of Apple’s devices and services has had individual challengers, but I think Windows 8 is now the first real alternative to the Apple suite.  You may think Microsoftland is inferior to Macworld, but the Desktop-Tablet-Mobile-Living Room cohesion is now absolutely comparable.

My prediction is that this will be the first season that consumers begin to truly understand the utility of an HTPC.  Many people still think they need a dedicated streaming box to watch internet TV in their living room.  If shoppers take a cursory look at the new Xbox One features, they will inevitably make the Windows 8 connection. The idea that they can turn their existing Windows 7 machines into Xboxs is a simple, exciting feature that the competition can’t quite match.  Even without immediate Xbox sales, I expect increased interest in HTPCs and subsequently, Windows 8.

Third party Xboxes:

Microsoft’s partners that sell HTPCs would now compete directly with Xbox hardware.  Microsoft would profit from the OS sale regardless of who makes the hardware, so the market should be similar to the Surface competing with the plurality of other devices.  I think Microsoft would gladly give up Xbox hardware sales if this drives Windows 8 and Xbox games numbers.

Why Xbox Live could ruin everything:

If it’s a Windows 8 machine, it should be free to get on the internet.  Why would anyone pay for that limitation?  Xbox Live servers and achievement systems may be worth paying for, but if I can access them from a third party HTPC, I’d skip the Xbox hardware.

How I think it could fail:

Games and apps.  There is huge potential here with Windows 8, but the WinRT apps and Xbox titles have to be good.  Being an HTPC user, I can also say that I want the Xbox hardware to be recognized by sites like Hulu as a “desktop” machine, not a mobile/gaming device.   I won’t buy or recommend the hardware if it’s not categorically better than my HTPC from 2010.

Final Thoughts:

Don’t be mad at Microsoft for the Xbox One.  But burn down their buildings** if they don’t let you play Xbox games on your Windows 8 desktop.  The technology should be there, the profit potential is huge, and I think it’s what we really expect from a next-gen gaming experience.

**don’t actually do that.

Good point and I hope you are right.

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

If the Xbox gaming framework sits on WinRT code, Microsoft could make the Xbox framework available for install on all Windows 8 PCs**.  So you could run Xbox games in your living room or desktop.

They said the Xbox One uses "3 operating systems", so I doubt that would work.

Most of the things the Xbox has is already Windows 7/8 snap on and multitasking. Alot of people exspected more from the xbox one because of the 8 year wait

What about people with W7? W8 and W7 are totally different beasts.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They said the Xbox One uses "3 operating systems", so I doubt that would work.

Hmm can't find a link to the archived video...

I remember hearing something like "3 parts"  or "3 systems"  But is running 3 Operating Systems effective?  

I figured that any other systems/engines/services sat on top of Windows

Give me like 30 seconds here:

Everyone is overlooking the fact that this machine runs on Windows 8 code. 

Sorry but I can't take anything you say after that seriously, W8 only make sense on a touchscreen PC for me, so I'm reading "Microsoft wants touchscreen TV!!!" which is one of the most stupid idea you can physically think of for a TV.

Not your fault unless you work at Microsoft.

Sorry but I can't take anything you say after that seriously, W8 only make sense on a touchscreen PC for me, so I'm reading "Microsoft wants touchscreen TV!!!" which is one of the most stupid idea you can physically think of for a TV.

Dude, I don't think you gave my post a chance. I'm not saying Windows 8 is great, and I'm definitely not saying touchscreen TV's are great.  I'm saying the potential of Xbox games running natively on your PC is great.

I'd love for you to read just a little more of my post and give me your feedback on what I'm actually putting forth.

FWIW, I don't intend on getting Windows 8 or an Xbox for the forseeable future.  I just think the move could have a substantial impact.

MS hasn't published a game for windows in ages, and I don't see why they would now. Out of the kindness of their collective heart?

MS hasn't published a game for windows in ages, and I don't see why they would now. Out of the kindness of their collective heart?

I don't know what you mean by published exactly, but they sure have a marketplace for them.  The packaging is branded Games for Windows Live, but if you buy a game for Windows 8, it's already sold under the Xbox brand.

And you're totally right, they wouldn't do it to be nice.  But they love taking people's money. :)

Hmm can't find a link to the archived video...

I remember hearing something like "3 parts"  or "3 systems"  But is running 3 Operating Systems effective?  

I figured that any other systems/engines/services sat on top of Windows

Well, I think it's more like Windows OS/kernel + Xbox OS + transitional OS in between the 2 to ensure a seamless switch. Ought to be fine.

Windows code != Windows UI/UX. Besides, the Metro UI on the Xbox One is similar to the Metro UI that's already on the 360.

Well, I think it's more like Windows OS/kernel + Xbox OS + transitional OS in between the 2 to ensure a seamless switch. Ought to be fine.

You're right on.

Found an upload on

At 20:35, he talks about the "Xbox One Architechture - 3 operating systems in one" just like you said.

Guess it's time for me to burn down Microsoft.

Huge missed opportunity.  But it looked great in my head:)

The only good thing about the new console will be how pretty forza 5 will look ;)

Man, I already thought Forza 4 was pretty! :P

I don't know what you mean by published exactly, but they sure have a marketplace for them.  The packaging is branded Games for Windows Live, but if you buy a game for Windows 8, it's already sold under the Xbox brand.

And you're totally right, they wouldn't do it to be nice.  But they love taking people's money. :)

MS own and publish games like Halo and Forza but you still don't see them on PC, why? Because if they did release them for PC then you wouldn't have to buy their hardware in order to play them. So yeah MS loves taking your money, and preferably multiple times at that.

Dude, I don't think you gave my post a chance. I'm not saying Windows 8 is great, and I'm definitely not saying touchscreen TV's are great.  I'm saying the potential of Xbox games running natively on your PC is great.

I'd love for you to read just a little more of my post and give me your feedback on what I'm actually putting forth.

FWIW, I don't intend on getting Windows 8 or an Xbox for the forseeable future.  I just think the move could have a substantial impact.

I'll do but the shock was too great.

One other thing that wouldn't make any sense, from listening Angry Joe, the only real improvement is voice command so that would make a touchscreen TV even more stupid.

BTW this is why a touchscreen TV is so stupid of an idea:

220px-Toshiba_Remote_Control_CT-9863.jpg

Why was the remote invented? Now you should get it.

I've read it and it seems, to me anyway, that someone believed the Steambox was a good idea but then someone down/up the chain f*ck it up.