Did I make the wrong decision?

xXButchXx

Its not at all bad quality, mabye the 2014 models are, I wouldn't know, But my 2012 model feels very high quality, all the plastic used feels high quality and it is a heavy, strong feeling keyboard. I also think it looks better than the Ducky. Also the Ducky is plastic and feels just as high quality.

The only thing I prefer the ducky on is the lighting modes, which are miles better than the BW's 3 levels of brightness.

The one I tried felt like very bad quality. I tried it at a friend's house, and was also told that macro keys and other stuff stopped working randomly after a few months of usage. I'm not sure which version he had though.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

The one I tried felt like very bad quality. I tried it at a friend's house, and was also told that macro keys and other stuff stopped working randomly after a few months of usage. I'm not sure which version he had though.

well, the biggest problem I've ever had with mine is how easily it gets covered in fingerprints. Other than that, I wouldn't trade it for any ducky or corsair keyboard (they are the only I've tried)

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

well, the biggest problem I've ever had with mine is how easily it gets covered in fingerprints. Other than that, I wouldn't trade it for any ducky or corsair keyboard (they are the only I've tried)

You're right it covers in fingerprints extremely quickly and is very tough to clean. Also, for some reason the "2" key duplicates to "22" about once out of every three times I press the key which can be pretty annoying. Other than that, the typing experience is great for me personally :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

I think you are good, the 770 has some good features that AMD cards just don't have, shadow-play is still admittedly better than Raptor's game DVR. (DVR doesn't work on all games)

CPU wise you are good with your intell, for the moment, not having the "K" will probably bother you later on. 

The part where I think you made the largest mistake is buying an expensive KB right away. I would have gotten that later, to make sure my PC gets all the best HW for my budget, newer keyboards don't effect performance.

Also, I would have done everything possible to avoid getting a CD/DVD drive - It is best to borrow it from a friend.

But still, all and all, you still have a good build, and there are no outright obvious mistakes. (except maybe the "K"...but that's just me)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

@xXButchXx - Don't worry about your build. It suits your needs and runs games just fine, no? You can't keep looking back wondering what if. I like to remember a saying a friend of mine used to use all the time; "Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't." 

You've got a really good, solid build so don't sweat it. You're far better off with the i7 instead of the massively power-hungry FX-9000 heat-factory. Enjoy your rig knowing it's still, what I would consider, a high-end machine. There will always be things you want to change or upgrade and that's normal. That's partly what makes us PC enthusiasts. :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@xXButchXx - Don't worry about your build. It suits your needs and runs games just fine, no? You can't keep looking back wondering what if. I like to remember a saying a friend of mine used to use all the time; "Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't." 

You've got a really good, solid build so don't sweat it. You're far better off with the i7 instead of the massively power-hungry FX-9000 heat-factory. Enjoy your rig knowing it's still, what I would consider, a high-end machine. There will always be things you want to change or upgrade and that's normal. That's partly what makes us PC enthusiasts. :)

Thanks man :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Hi guys, at the time I built my computer I had around $2000 to build it and went for a build around $1840 because with taxes it adds up to a little over $2000. After finishing my build (two weeks ago) I couldn't help but looking back and reminiscing if I made the right decisions on the parts (I'm that kind of person). I looked over, and built another system online on pc partpicker and it looks like it crushes my current rig, for a lower price. Keep in mind, I live in Canada so make sure you're on the PCPartpicker canada. Here are the two builds;

My current rig: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/JhTPxr

The all AMD rig: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/zVTPxr

I already know that I should've bought the R9 290, but besides that, how badly does the all AMD rig beat mine by? Do you guys think I made the wrong decision?

If you did this build at the beginning of this year i would say you could have done better but seeing Z97 just came out and you bought a z97 motherboard i have to say you wasted some cash on some of these parts and you also chose poorly with some parts.

For the CPU i would have gotten the 4790k. For the GPU i would have gotten the sapphire r9 290, for the HDD this $83 for twice the capacity. For the SSD this or probably this as you have native support for it. For the case this. For the keyboard this

I think a 140$ black widow was the worst decision.

Oh yeah....how about $140 for a 1TB WD. He could have taken the money saved from the two purchases and put it towards a 780 or better yet a Sapphire r9 290. He could have gotten a nice ducky or Quickfire TK for the keyboard.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Bloody hell. I just realized I could've gotten this build for $50 more than my current rig: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/fTkgXL

Brb crying

Hi guys, at the time I built my computer I had around $2000 to build it and went for a build around $1840 because with taxes it adds up to a little over $2000. After finishing my build (two weeks ago) I couldn't help but looking back and reminiscing if I made the right decisions on the parts (I'm that kind of person). I looked over, and built another system online on pc partpicker and it looks like it crushes my current rig, for a lower price. Keep in mind, I live in Canada so make sure you're on the PCPartpicker canada. Here are the two builds;

My current rig: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/JhTPxr

The all AMD rig: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/zVTPxr

I already know that I should've bought the R9 290, but besides that, how badly does the all AMD rig beat mine by? Do you guys think I made the wrong decision?

Other than the gpu, build 1 is better than 2. Check out the benchmarks in http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz.html.

When you bought your system high-end AMD gpu were priced for bit-coin mining. It is only in the last few weeks that they have become more competitive.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Other than the gpu, build 1 is better than 2. Check out the benchmarks in http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz.html.

When you bought your system high-end AMD gpu were priced for bit-coin mining. It is only in the last few weeks that they have become more competitive.

I know, but now I'm ticked cuz I could've gotten this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/fTkgXL

Oh whale

I know, but now I'm ticked cuz I could've gotten this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXButchXx/saved/fTkgXL

Oh whale

:D We all go through it. But if you bought today, in six months you would have the same feeling because you "could have gotten the GTX 880 Ti and i5-5700K".

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

:D We all go through it. But if you bought today, in six months you would have the same feeling because you "could have gotten the GTX 880 Ti and i5-5700K".

post-97635-0-97878600-1406319532.jpg