Nexus 5 vs. HTC One M8

MysteryManMax

What should I get? I would have to pay an installment plan over the course of 2 years with $27 a month plus $45 for the service. Or I can just pay $350 and get a Nexus. Just not a samsung device because it's just all crap.

PCPartPicker Link To My Build

My YouTube channel, also check out my Twitch Stream!

Check out my Lastest CS:GO Video!

One M8 replaced my girlfriend, so go for it. 

Nexus 5 is great, but it lacks to premium feel of the M8.

Tip: Don't install the software update.

The One has better build quality and better specs, but the N5 has stock Android (if that matters to you) and is cheaper.

i'm a potato

I own the M8, first smartphone, and I think it IS AMAZING. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I would reccomend it, even if I dont know about the Nexus 5 at all. I really like HTC blinkfeed. SPEAKERS are amazing for their size and stuff.

Diamond 5 in League :)

I have the M8, unless you need it I don't understand why you need to use all that power tbh..

I have the M8, unless you need it I don't understand why you need to use all that power tbh..

I only had to pay $100 for mine, with a plan of course, but I don't really use the full capebilities of it, but I'm at no loss considering I had $100 laying around, and getting a free smartphone like an IPHONE 4 or Moto X didnt feel very good.

Diamond 5 in League :)

What should I get? I would have to pay an installment plan over the course of 2 years with $27 a month plus $45 for the service. Or I can just pay $350 and get a Nexus. Just not a samsung device because it's just all crap.

The One M8 is a great phone, but if we're talking about full price, it isn't worth paying twice as much as a Nexus 5. My brother's phone broke so I gave him a Nexus 5, was really considering another one but since I'm a person who listens to a lot of music on their phone, I went for the M8 since I got a good deal on it. The speakers continue to amaze me (I've left it at work propped up and playing music and had multiple people give it a double take and say "that music's coming from a PHONE?!") and it works really well with high-impedance headphones, however I've used 20+ Android phones in my life so far and the Nexus 5 still has to be my favorite. The M8 is a good phone, but having the same specs as the M8 and just being better in terms of audio and exterior build just doesn't justify the much higher cost. Stock Android is plain boring out of the box, but spend an hour or so out of your life to install something like CyanogenMod which adds loads in terms of customization. 

"Rawr XD"

I can vouch for the M8, great phone, really fast, super build quality. The only thing is the finish is slick and the sides are rounded to holding it can be tricky so I got a carbon fiber wrap from slickwraps.com and just put on the middle part. I have the darker silver M8 and with the gunmetal skin, they almost match so I think it has a really nice look.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Idk man both are really sweet phones but I would also check them out in person and see which one fits well in the your hand...I'd personally go for the Nexus just because it has pure stock android but it lacks those SWEET front facing speakers of the HTC M8.

Nexus 5, stock rom is pretty awesome, plus, I personally hate the M8's build material feels way to heavy

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I only had to pay $100 for mine, with a plan of course, but I don't really use the full capebilities of it, but I'm at no loss considering I had $100 laying around, and getting a free smartphone like an IPHONE 4 or Moto X didnt feel very good.

I had to pay the full $800

I have an M8 for $650 and i got my dad a Nexus 5 for $350...

M8 feels way more premium then nexus and snappier. 

One M8 replaced my girlfriend, so go for it. 

Nexus 5 is great, but it lacks to premium feel of the M8.

Tip: Don't install the software update.

What update? On what device?

What update? On what device?

If you plan of using a custom ROM, the latest software update for the HTC One M8 kills-off pretty much all of the ways to do so.

If you don't mind paying a little extra, you get a much better built device that really feels great in the M8.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

IF you can hold off on that decision for a short period of time, we should see a new Nexus in 2 or 3 months and I personally would wait for the cutting edge (especially if the Nexus 6 is HTC One M8 or Sony Z2 based).

If the decision needs to be made now, both devices are great and the selection comes down to a few factors:

1) Do you prefer stock AOSP or Sense6 (which is actually the best of all the Android skins, IMO, but I still prefer AOSP). This is the biggest of your decisions.

2) Do you want to get into the root/custom ROM scene? The Nexus is far, far better for that (as others have mentioned)

3) Do you need to play music/video w/o headphones and/or speakers frequently? M8's BoomSound is top notch in terms of smartphone speakers and N5 doesn't come anywhere near close enough.

IMO, everything else is a near wash, in terms of real world experience. Both phones run apps well and can do anything you need.

• 1 month later...

I have an M8 for $650 and i got my dad a Nexus 5 for $350...

M8 feels way more premium then nexus and snappier. 

Well you paid almost two time more for it.

Anyway I vote for Nexus 5