So I recently got a rush of moneh and i'm going to spend it all on a new PC. I got most of it figured out, but I know almost nothing about cooling, so I need some help to decide on how i'm supposed to cool the CPU. I'm thinking an AIO water cooler atm, because I don't feel im in need of a full loop, but I want a silent build. I'm going to build in a nzxt h630, with an i7 4790k on a MSI gaming 5 motherboard. Since the H630 has no window I don't care about the looks too much, but it would help if it wasn't a noctua looking monstrosity. And keep in mind the H630 is a HUGE chassi weighing in at 14 kg, so I don't think I will have an issue with fitting anything in there.

Thanks in advance!

.o/¨¨

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

but I want a silent build

Water cooling requires just as many fans as air cooling

For example the average CPU air cooled block has 2 fans,  my 120mm rad has 2 fans but it also has a pump making noise

Water cooling is no less quiet than aircooling and possibly louder, although some coolers DO allow you to run your fans slower

If the case is windowless I would definitely look into a really quiet air cooler, or getting a something like the X61 and getting 2 quiet fans (black noctuas or something) to keep it as quiet as possible

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So I recently got a rush of moneh and i'm going to spend it all on a new PC. I got most of it figured out, but I know almost nothing about cooling, so I need some help to decide on how i'm supposed to cool the CPU. I'm thinking an AIO water cooler atm, because I don't feel im in need of a full loop, but I want a silent build. I'm going to build in a nzxt h630, with an i7 4790k on a MSI gaming 5 motherboard. Since the H630 has no window I don't care about the looks too much, but it would help if it wasn't a noctua looking monstrosity. And keep in mind the H630 is a HUGE chassi weighing in at 14 kg, so I don't think I will have an issue with fitting anything in there.

Thanks in advance!

.o/¨¨

Get the Nepton 280L and call it a day. Best 280mm at the moment. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Yeah, if you want a silent build getting an AIO cooler will in most cases be counterproductive as they tend to be louder than air coolers. If you don't want a Noctua cooler I recommend checking out the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, though it doesn't cool as well as the Noctua ones.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Water cooling requires just as many fans as air cooling

For example the average CPU air cooled block has 2 fans,  my 120mm rad has 2 fans but it also has a pump making noise

Water cooling is no less quiet than aircooling and possibly louder, although some coolers DO allow you to run your fans slower

If the case is windowless I would definitely look into a really quiet air cooler, or getting a something like the X61 and getting 2 quiet fans (black noctuas or something) to keep it as quiet as possible

Yeah, if you want a silent build getting an AIO cooler will in most cases be counterproductive as they tend to be louder than air coolers. If you don't want a Noctua cooler I recommend checking out the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, though it doesn't cool as well as the Noctua ones.

Get the Nepton 280L and call it a day. Best 280mm at the moment. 

That x61 look great, but won't arrive here in sweden until september :( From what I have heard, water cooling allows lower fan speeds at higher temps, allowing lower noise levels. That was my logic behind WCing my CPU. What air coolers are really quiet? The D15? because I don't want to be limited by a giant aluminum tower in the middle of the PC. But I guess it's worth it if it's more quiet. The H630 allows great airflow so it's kindof logical to cool everything with air.

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

That x61 look great, but won't arrive here in sweden until september :( From what I have heard, water cooling allows lower fan speeds at higher temps, allowing lower noise levels. That was my logic behind WCing my CPU. What air coolers are really quiet? The D15? because I don't want to be limited by a giant aluminum tower in the middle of the PC. But I guess it's worth it if it's more quiet. The H630 allows great airflow so it's kindof logical to cool everything with air.

Yeah, and you cant forget that the pump will make noise, if you run the fans at lower speeds the pump will speed up, I guess you could run the pump slow and run the fans slow, but then you would get rubbish temps

It really depends how "silent" you want to go,

Yeah the D15 is one of the quietest around, there is also the be quiet dark rock 3, which is about the same but a bit sexier imo

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The Kraken X60/X61 is also amongst the top tier AIO. The low noise people talk about in respect to watercooling is reserved for custom loops, a full loop in the H630 will cost upwards of $800. If you want a quiet aircooler that's good but not too big, I'd get the single heatsink version of the NH-D15, the U14S. It's deltaT with a 85W CPU like the 4790K is only 2 degrees higher.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Swifttech launches their H220-X this Friday. I haven't seen reviews on it yet, but given how great the H220 was, I am optimistic this one will yet again stomp on the asetek/Cool-IT designs. The h220 is a 240mm radiator design, but you can replace that radiator with a larger one if you want. Or, you can wait a month or two and they'll release a 280mm version.