Ghetto Spare Rig

tuberolector

A few weeks ago, I disassembled my backup rig because I needed a few of the parts for my new system, and since then, the other parts have just been sitting out, doing nothing. This really bothered my because I don't like to waste components, even if they are massively outdated. So, what I did, was take an old case, power supply, graphics card, and CPU cooler, and put them with the rest of the components from my previous backup rig.

What this resulted in is a system that probably won't even be able to play modern games at 1080p, but would be fine for just surfing the web or whatever.

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Overclocked to 3.0 Ghz)

CPU Cooler: Stock LGA 775 

Motherboard: XFX MB-N780-ISH9

RAM: Random 4 GB DDR2

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 550 ti 2GB

SSD: OWC Mercury Electra 3G 128 GB*

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320 GB

Power Supply: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600 Watt

Case: Apevia X-CRUISER Blue

*I may take out the SSD if I ever need if for a different system, but for now, since it already had Windows on it, it's running OS.

All of these parts are salvaged from other systems, and many of them are starting to have problems, but I built this system in case I ever need to have another system, or my main rig dies.

Here are some pictures of the completed system (sorry for the quality, my camera isn't very good). I don't have any pictures of the system as it was being built because I didn't have any time to take any. 

post-47936-0-57072300-1405559559_thumb.j

post-47936-0-71229400-1405559561_thumb.j

post-47936-0-85627600-1405559563_thumb.j

post-47936-0-41481000-1405559566_thumb.j

post-47936-0-57072300-1405559559_thumb.j

post-47936-0-71229400-1405559561_thumb.j

post-47936-0-85627600-1405559563_thumb.j

post-47936-0-41481000-1405559566_thumb.j

Hah i have the same motherboard just sitting around :D I should do the same thing you have done with this one with it!

I am a happy wuffy

freaking-out_14.gif THE CABLES !!!

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

CABLES!

4D633m3.gif

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

How is that thing Ghetto? It looks nice aside from the cooler.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

freaking-out_14.gif THE CABLES !!!

CABLES!

4D633m3.gif

The reason that the cables are such a mess is that this case has ZERO cable management room, especially behind the motherboard tray. I am also terrible at cable managment, so this was the best I could do with my attention span.

If I were to put more time into it, I could probably make it a bit nicer, but I'm way to lazy, and it's not going to be used that much anyway, so it's not that big a deal. 

(By the way, love the Top Gear gif)

(By the way, love the Top Gear gif)

Ha, @Katsu-K1L, I'm better than you.

@tuberolector, don't worry about the cable management, I still love you

tumblr_msshjl5nGq1shvu8so1_400.gif

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Ha, @Katsu-K1L, I'm better than you.

@tuberolector, don't worry about the cable management, I still love you

omnomnmnom.gif M8 pls

My PC

-pictr of rabit ettin letoose- M8 pls

Bitch, you can't touch me!

iOYf6uBjfPBf3.gif

Bitch, you can't touch me!

oh wow i remember that ep lol

My PC

That system is actually pretty nice. you could toss in a GTX 660 or something and make it a nice gaming system. its not like 99.99% of games even use more then 2 cores on a CPU or take full advantage of DDR3.

I actually had a Radeon 7950 with that CPU for about a month (was one of the parts I moved to my new system), but the CPU bottlenecked it so much (even at 3.4 Ghz) that it really bothered me. While the CPU was at 100% load, the GPU was around 30%. 

M8 pls

Don't worry, you're both great. As you can tell from my pic, I am very much a Top Gear fan. That's why I had to acknowledge the Top Gear gif. I don't pick favorites!!!

Slight Update 7/18/14

So I decided that I wanted to use the SSD in another system because I felt that it was kind of being wasted in this system, so I took it out. 

Because I did this, I needed to install an OS onto the Hard Drive, but because I didn't want to deal with Windows installation (and I didn't want to keep using the licenses uselessly), I installed Ubuntu. 

The system can't really handle many games, so the lack of Windows isn't that big of a deal. If I ever do want to game on it, I can stream to it or run Linux enabled games.