Comcast customer service rep harassing customer about cancelling subscription

ExcaliburVII

Eh, honestly. Having a simple reason for disconnection (doesn't have to be the truth) before making the call is essential. How hard is it to say: "I no longer need Comcast services"? Doesn't actually mean you're no longer going to be using the Internet. Refusing to answer can have other implications as well. 

Obviously the CS Rep should have let it go after 20 whole minutes, but the customer is also partially at blame for refusing to give a very simple answer. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Eh, honestly. Having a simple reason for disconnection (doesn't have to be the truth) before making the call is essential. How hard is it to say: "I no longer need Comcast services"? Doesn't actually mean you're no longer going to be using the Internet. Refusing to answer can have other implications as well. 

Even once that was said, the rep still pushed for another reason, they just didn't care.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Comcast is shit, why would anyone expect anything more of their customer service reps?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh no! Comcast Customer Service reps who sit in little cubicles, with no downtime are out to get you guys! Run! You can't base an opinion of a company off a few disgruntled employees. That's like rating the quality of the forum off some of you knuckleheads.. Customer service in a call center teaches you..

1) How to use their systems

2) Generic greetings

3) Scripted responses

4) How to upsell items

Not how to speak to another human. The rest is the person you're talking to, not the damn company.

This is a classic case of you guys have no idea what you're talking about but want to spew hate to a company with no valid reasons.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Oh no! Comcast Customer Service reps who sit in little cubicles, with no downtime are out to get you guys! Run! You can't base an opinion of a company off a few disgruntled employees. That's like rating the quality of the forum off some of you knuckleheads.. Customer service in a call center teaches you..

2) Generic greetings

3) Scripted responses

4) How to upsell items

Not how to speak to another human. The rest is the person you're talking to, not the damn company.

This is a classic case of you guys have no idea what you're talking about but want to spew hate to a company with no valid reasons.

Except, Comcast has the worst customer satisfaction rating of like every other ISP in the US, except Time Warner. There is some truth to this. Regardless of how things are supposed to be done, it's not how that rep went about things. He could've just taken the answer that they no longer wanted Comcast as that, continued with the disconnection, and left it. Even if you are supposed to up sell, which I know reps are, that was a terrible way to go about it, and hurt that reps reputation, and since this has gone viral, Comcasts reputaiton more than he could have helped in this instance.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

2) Generic greetings

3) Scripted responses

4) How to upsell items

You win a cookie for not only an excellent post but calling us all knuckleheads:

Cookie.gif

-------

Current Rig

-------

Except, Comcast has the worst customer satisfaction rating of like every other ISP in the US, except Time Warner. There is some truth to this. Regardless of how things are supposed to be done, it's not how that rep went about things. He could've just taken the answer that they no longer wanted Comcast as that, continued with the disconnection, and left it. Even if you are supposed to up sell, which I know reps are, that was a terrible way to go about it, and hurt that reps reputation, and since this has gone viral, Comcasts reputaiton more than he could have helped in this instance.

I've worked call centers and most of the negative reviews are just pissed off people. The best way to describe these people is.. Extremely Ass Hurt.

I've called Comcast numerous times when they were my ISP (over the past what 10+ years), and never once had a problem. Maybe 5 extra minutes of waiting, but what I needed was always resolved.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I've worked call centers and most of the negative reviews are just pissed off people. The best way to describe these people is.. Extremely Ass Hurt.

I've called Comcast numerous times when they were my ISP (over the past what 10+ years), and never once had a problem. Maybe 5 extra minutes of waiting, but what I needed was always resolved.

Yep, I actually have the data to prove it: I was in charge of doing data analysis for xbox360 and I shown that our reps were actually pretty good with customers and over 70% of all negative customer satisfaction scores were related to warranty related issues, most of the comments were even "The guys are very nice but this is the 5th time I have to send my console back this is unacceptable" and things like that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

comcast should start a world with ubisoft and EA. then together they can all be dicks

Rogers is worse, they turn what could be a 10 minute call into a half an hour to an hour call by constantly putting you on hold, making errors, taking you to redemption service if you even mention switching (thats like a 5-20 minute hold right there) then they bribe you with some extra crap that you dont need or want, then you have to tell them that you dont want it and you just want to keep your same plan or whatever, or that you just wanted everything to what it was in the first place.

Who the hell is the editor? The headline doesn't even make sense!

Listen to world's WORST EVER customer service call – Comcast says it's 'very embarrassed'

Comcast is an it? It should be they're! GGGAAAAAAHHHHH!!!1!!!

Last time i checked, Comcast isn't a person, so its correct.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Last time i checked, Comcast isn't a person, so its correct.

They as in people. Comcast consists of people.

They as in people. Comcast consists of people.

It can be used in reference to a corporation, so it's still correct.

I have exactly that issue with vodafone,  I wanted my phone to work in remote Australia, they don't cover  remote Australia but wouldn't cancel my contract instead trying to sell me upgrades and give new discounts.  It's just sales techniques and customer retention antics, if you give them an indisputable reason to cancel a service they then know they have lost the sale, so they take that as a green light to go to town on you with every offer they have and tactic they can to try and sell you something. They have nothing to lose because you're already gone. 

My take from this is, they know it's wrong and unless you are a notable person and have access to the media to vent your spleen then you don't deserve an apology or recognition of your years of custom.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I understand the employee. Of course he wants to know why the customer all of a sudden wants to leave comcast after 9 years. The only way you can get better at what you're doing, is to know the reason behind it. Sure, the employee went waaay too far, but the customer is also being a d-bag imo.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I can't wait to listen to this later when I'm not here at the library.

But I think I would've hung up and called back to talk with someone else once it started going downhill.  No way would I stay on the call for 20+ minutes.  If I really didn't want to share info or answer the questions I would have said so, and eventually I would have hung up.  Thats just torture for both parties hanging on that long.  But once he began recording he was basically committing to the long haul.

Sorry but there were two teenagers there.  You could easily say the guy was a teenager experiencing his first breakup as well and didn't know how to do it.  

He is under no obligation to give any information regarding why he was changing. To give a reason, even a made up one, would make the sales guy think he 'won' and that his approach is great. Comcast shouldn't be allowed to bully customers like this into giving a reason.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I've worked in call centers, the blame for this rests squarely on Comcasts shoulders, not the rep trying to keep his job.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers