gtx 780 or r9 290

so hopefully(thats a long long long story)...in a few days(if not tomorrow or i mean well today because its like 1:30 AM it's up to Paypal) i'll finally be buying

my 2000 dollar gaming rig but i'm torn between these two cards i love the look

of the stock cool on the gtx 780 but i know that the r9 290 would be better for folding...(so i've heard) and i know amd's cards fun significantly hotter on

stock coolers both nividia and AMD both have great software stuffs...i would assume both would kick a** in gaming no matter what..i mean their high end

cards, and please keep your fanboyism to a minimum thanks just looking for some opinions here

both are equally good GPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n780tf3gd5oc

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr92904gbd5ppdhe

see which fits your rig look and price and go for it

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Dont get the reference r9 290. though if you can find really any after market cooler on it for cheap its a great choice. 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Never buy stock AMD coolers, buy something like a Tri-X if you go AMD.

Lots of heat will be kicked into your room, and make sure you have enough power to handle it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003622sr

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Either are the same when on 1080p but going up, the 290 gains a small lead. If you get a 290, get an aftermarket cooler.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Some stuff off the top of my head:

• AMD cards tend to outperform their Nvidia counterparts at large resolutions
  • AMD cards generally have more VRAM
  • More games are optimised for Nvidia
  • Nvidia cards tend to run cooler and use less power than AMD cards
  • Crossfire does not require a bridge unlike SLI
  • Eyefinity is better than Nvidia Surround
  • Nvidia has better stereoscopic 3D
  • Nvidia cards are able to use Advanced PhysX (and perform better when gaming with PhysX enabled)
  • Nvidia Shadowplay is better than AMD's Game DVR
  • Nvidia cards are better for F@H, while AMD cards are better for Bitcoin mining

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Dont get the reference r9 290. though if you can find really any after market cooler on it for cheap its a great choice. 

yeah I've seen noise tests done on that thing an that reference card is a mini jet engine when it ramps up not to mention amd says they can run at 95 degrees i think at least or its 85 i wouldn't feel comfortable with a video card that high.....annnnddd looks like i'm waiting some more gosh Paypal 

yeah I've seen noise tests done on that thing an that reference card is a mini jet engine when it ramps up not to mention amd says they can run at 95 degrees i think at least or its 85 i wouldn't feel comfortable with a video card that high.....annnnddd looks like i'm waiting some more gosh Paypal

If you're getting a non-reference 290 (tri-x is a good choice) then noise/heat is not something to worry about. It's a very effective cooler.

Power consumption isn't worlds apart and if neither card had no cooler both would get extremely hot. The dissipated heat has to go somewhere and that place will be your case and your room.

I'm personally a bit torn as to what to get (same debate in my head for a couple months time) but some things to consider:

- 780 is a bit more expensive

- 780 generally will OC better

- The 3gb limit of the 780 might become troublesome in the future - look how few people are now being recommended 770s over 280x's.

- AMD have caught up somewhat with nvidia when it comes to multi-gpu performance. The 290 in crossfire scales extremely well and frame time variances are much lower than before, giving a smoother experience. This is especially true with mantle games. Recently a list leaked showing what would have mantle support and the list was surprisingly big.

If you're getting a non-reference 290 (tri-x is a good choice) then noise/heat is not something to worry about. It's a very effective cooler.

Power consumption isn't worlds apart and if neither card had no cooler both would get extremely hot. The dissipated heat has to go somewhere and that place will be your case and your room.

I'm personally a bit torn as to what to get (same debate in my head for a couple months time) but some things to consider:

- 780 is a bit more expensive

- 780 generally will OC better

- The 3gb limit of the 780 might become troublesome in the future - look how few people are now being recommended 770s over 280x's.

- AMD have caught up somewhat with nvidia when it comes to multi-gpu performance. The 290 in crossfire scales extremely well and frame time variances are much lower than before, giving a smoother experience. This is especially true with mantle games. Recently a list leaked showing what would have mantle support and the list was surprisingly big.

so pay less for 1 extra GB of GDDR5 memory mmmm maybe just go with an r9 290x(approximately same price bracket ad gtx 780) if i could get one with out a stock cooler for >550

wouldn't be a bad idea i guess....

so pay less for 1 extra GB of GDDR5 memory mmmm maybe just go with an r9 290x(approximately same price bracket ad gtx 780) if i could get one with out a stock cooler for >550

wouldn't be a bad idea i guess....

The general consensus is that in most cases the cost doesn't justify the gains over the 290, though the 290x is of course a great card too.

The general consensus is that in most cases the cost doesn't justify the gains over the 290, though the 290x is of course a great card too.

i'll go look at some benchmarks somewhere from some multiple sites to see if it does or not