Forum Tips for N00bs?

SlayerOfHellWyrm

While I claim to be a techie, I'm saddened to admit, I've never really been apart of forums, or anything like Reddit.

What are some tips you veterans have for the noobs, especially for doing the cooler things like the builds along the botom most people have (but from scratch since I only have a laptop, and can't use PCpartpicker, lol)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Stay well away from @Katsu-K1L

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Read the CoC: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

Always search before creating a topic (to avoid reposts), here's how to search properly: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/45264-how-to-effectively-search-the-forum/

Just generally be nice to people, that's what's important :)

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Don't start a controversial topic. Before you post, take a deep breath, think about what the topic is like, think whether there is more than one side to the topic I.e. Intel v amd, amd v nvidia etc. then return to the home screen without posting the topic.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

BUT IM NORMAL

8WQGd41.gif

666 posts.

I'll say no.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

666 posts.

I'll say no.

He can't post again now, he's reached his limit.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

if you're about LTT Tips, Read the CoC and post on the right Subforum

if you're about Tech and General PC building, always Pick the CPU, Mobo and Graphics card first than build around em, because those are the Most important things and Performance Critics, Never chose your parts based on fanboisme whenever possible, Treat your Computer better than you treat your Girlfriend and to be a Good techie, always seek to know more and never play it like you do know it all, keep on learning all the time, and have that passion for tech Stuff, that's how got here

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

He can't post again now, he's reached his limit.

Limit? You mean goal? :D

Now he can only post in off topic lol.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

if you're about LTT Tips, Read the CoC and post on the right Subforum

if you're about Tech and General PC building, always Pick the CPU, Mobo and Graphics card first than build around em, because those are the Most important things and Performance Critics, Never chose your parts based on fanboisme whenever possible, Treat your Computer better than you treat your Girlfriend and to be a Good techie, always seek to know more and never play it like you do know it all, keep on learning all the time, and have that passion for tech Stuff, that's how got here

I've built close to 100 PC's at this point lol, I'm well versed, I'd say, in that area.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Use Ctrl+shift+V when pasting text from different websites, helps those who are using the night theme on the forum. Always double check google for news before posting(avoids reposts), And when posting your topic don't press the post button twice, it usually ends up with a double post which can be quite annoying. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Don't start a controversial topic. Before you post, take a deep breath, think about what the topic is like, think whether there is more than one side to the topic I.e. Intel v amd, amd v nvidia etc. then return to the home screen without posting the topic.

Don't be controversial, we wouldn't want any intelligible dialogue about the pros and cons of different platforms.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Just don't be a dick, quote posts (so that the person who you are replying to is notified), follow your topics, press "Post" once, and be open minded.

Your profile says 0 posts, I recommend you start posting in GD and other subforums.

Just don't be a dick, quote posts (so that the person who you are replying to is notified), follow your topics, press "Post" once, and be open minded.

Your profile says 0 posts, I recommend you start posting in GD and other subforums.

I'll get to it eventually lol. Just joined today, and I'm new to forums in general, so it's all a bit intimidating. Not as bad as reddit though (don't have a reddit account, and never will)

I'll get to it eventually lol. Just joined today, and I'm new to forums in general, so it's all a bit intimidating. Not as bad as reddit though (don't have a reddit account, and never will)

LTT is a pretty friendly forum, we are not assholes like other forums. We are extremely noob friendly and this forum cracks down very severely on trolling.

Obey the horses

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

LTT is a pretty friendly forum, we are not assholes like other forums. We are extremely noob friendly and this forum cracks down very severely on trolling.

Good to hear. Hoping to learn a lot here, and maybe one day contribute some useful knowledge, or posts or something.