Fanboyism, it's going out of hand

JujuShinobi
There is also the complete opposite to fanboyism well I know of one its the OCZ power supply's I personally use a zx 850 and its perfect but if you look at some reviewers or on some forms they will say all OCZ power supply's are crap and to avoid them like the plague.

Linus himself mentioned this before and that the rma rate of OCZ power supply's only comes second to some other not mentioned company over a 3 year period (The information came from NCIX's sales and returns).

If I am not wrong, Linus called them zealots... those who instantly shun away the product purely due to it's name even though it's good. I do the same with Apple products to be honest

Wow, some of you on this thread sound like you're living out of a senior citizen home or commune. The world is great if you have a great outlook, the world sucks if you have a sucky attitude toward it.

Lets move this forum to the positive forward outlook of tech and society and improve it not drag it to the sewer.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

This is the best thread I have read yet. I get what you are saying. I see it all the time on newegg on the reviews. Trying to buy the right parts for builds now a days is so hard because you always get mixed feeling about products. I don't trust the internet at all I always go with my gut feeling and it hasn't failed me yet. I like all brands from all different companies
I would say both video cards are very close matched up to eachother the only real thing that the 660ti has that the 7870 does not have is cuda cores. Its comes down to will you ever use the cuda cores for things like video editing in the future or if you do that right now. What I do when I cant decide on almost equally matched cards is weigh in the pros and cons of both cards and see witch one is more beneficial to me I also look at witch one would look good with my rigs theme at the time of the build. I know it can be hard at times to decide but all in all if you want advice chose witch card would suit you best in the long run

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Well right now I myself am debating between a 7870 or a 660Ti' date=' and most of the suggestions I got were not very helpful[/quote']

I would say both video cards are very close matched up to eachother the only real thing that the 660ti has that the 7870 does not have is cuda cores. Its comes down to will you ever use the cuda cores for things like video editing in the future or if you do that right now. What I do when I cant decide on almost equally matched cards is weigh in the pros and cons of both cards and see witch one is more beneficial to me I also look at witch one would look good with my rigs theme at the time of the build. I know it can be hard at times to decide but all in all if you want advice chose witch card would suit you best in the long run

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

The question is... Why didn't C recommend a 7950.
Well, this was more of an extreme example. But why would someone recommend a last gen card instead of the newer ones? I mean the value for the 7000 and 600 series overpowers the last gen ones

Just as an example, here is someone talking about someone buying some corsair vengence headset. "get a decent soundcard to go with it or at least a headphone amp to help drive the 50mm drivers" Not to mention any names, but this isn't fanboyism, but it related to it. This guy blatently doesn't have the slightest clue why you need an amp to drive high ohm headphones, and therefore just wants OP to waste his money. Roar.

Edit: Shit double post, forgot editing works now!

Then explain how my headphones with a resistance of 16Ohm which is the same as the Apple ones don't even get close to being as loud as the Apple ones off the same iPhone? The more driver you have to shift, the more power you're going to need.

With the introduction of the internet' date=' many things have been created since then. Both good and bad. But there is one issue I would like to address right now which is fanboyism. What is it you might ask? Well it is basically the collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response. An example of a fanboy comment would be "If you didn't like the movie, you should'nt come here and trash it."Believe it or not, this also happens within the computer hardware sector. How is this a major problem you might ask? Well I have seen this happening on many tech forums like Tek Syndicate and it is really getting control. The other day, we have a guy who we shall name "A" who was asking what would be a good video card for around $300USD. A guy named "B" said that a good value card at the time was a GTX660Ti and that a lot of people love that card and didn't regret buying it. He also said the the CUDA will help accelerate Adobe products he A uses them. He also gave an AMD alternative which was a HD7870 and explained the good points about it as well. Then... we have the fanboy named "C" who said "You should get the 6950 because it's good and it's AMD" and not giving any more information about the card. Unfortunately, A was naive enough to listen to C and bought a 6950. UNEXCEPTABLE. You can see now what I mean how fanboyism is a major issue which should be addressed and stopped ASAP. There are quite a number of people right now wasting their money on bad products thanks to fanboy trolls saying that the product is "good" without saying much else. It's also like saying get Beats because cool people wear it, which is hardly a valid reason. What is my goal? I only intend to educate people about this rising problem and that you as a community help to put a stop to this madness and make the internet a better place to be. It would help if you report a constant fanboy to a moderator if possible as we need as little fanboys as possible on this amazing tech forum Thank you for your time.

I'd say it's not about fanboyism but about stupidity. Why Mr.A would buy a product just because one random person said it was "good" ? It blows my mind.

Just as an example, here is someone talking about someone buying some corsair vengence headset. "get a decent soundcard to go with it or at least a headphone amp to help drive the 50mm drivers" Not to mention any names, but this isn't fanboyism, but it related to it. This guy blatently doesn't have the slightest clue why you need an amp to drive high ohm headphones, and therefore just wants OP to waste his money. Roar.

Edit: Shit double post, forgot editing works now!

well first off let me apologize for not fully elaborating my stance: I just finished typing a 2-3 paragraph response before the 2 sentence response to the person at issue.

this also leads into how much of my spare time I want to invest into voicing my opinions to complete strangers on the internet. I was on the corsair mainsite to follow up an RMA in progress. I looked for the resistance of the 1300 drivers but I didn't find it. did I want to google around to find the exact ohms it has? No, I already finished typing out a lengthy response to another seconds before the response to the 1300 and I wanted to give a brief response. I'm SORRY.

irregardless of the resistance there is a disconnect between mine and others satisfaction with my set of cans (vengeance 2K) versus the 1300's utilizing the same sized drivers. people have described the 1300 to sound anemic, tinny and weak. while I will agree with crispy highs weak would not describe the sound I and a guildmate who share the V2K experience. while not as great and balanced as ath M50's, they do sound pretty damned good for what they do and in some cases I felt like they rattled the base of my neck, a fun headset.

from what I've seen from the responses of 1300 owners is that they need help meaning a soundcard dac or other wise.

and now I wrote multiparagraphs and wasted more of my spare time over this.

tl:dr V1300 needs help.

my pc manufacturer did the same thing too, i wanted an amd fx series processor but he forced my to install intel i5 which is rather expensive and also lower in the performance.

He did alot worse job affter installing every piece of the hardware that was entry level and charged almost the the double of the money it actual costs.

In End the big issue was my gfx card which i changed later.

On the offchance you wanted a gaming rig, I think you're probably better off with the i5.

With the introduction of the internet' date=' many things have been created since then. Both good and bad. But there is one issue I would like to address right now which is fanboyism. What is it you might ask? Well it is basically the collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response. An example of a fanboy comment would be "If you didn't like the movie, you should'nt come here and trash it."Believe it or not, this also happens within the computer hardware sector. How is this a major problem you might ask? Well I have seen this happening on many tech forums like Tek Syndicate and it is really getting control. The other day, we have a guy who we shall name "A" who was asking what would be a good video card for around $300USD. A guy named "B" said that a good value card at the time was a GTX660Ti and that a lot of people love that card and didn't regret buying it. He also said the the CUDA will help accelerate Adobe products he A uses them. He also gave an AMD alternative which was a HD7870 and explained the good points about it as well. Then... we have the fanboy named "C" who said "You should get the 6950 because it's good and it's AMD" and not giving any more information about the card. Unfortunately, A was naive enough to listen to C and bought a 6950. UNEXCEPTABLE. You can see now what I mean how fanboyism is a major issue which should be addressed and stopped ASAP. There are quite a number of people right now wasting their money on bad products thanks to fanboy trolls saying that the product is "good" without saying much else. It's also like saying get Beats because cool people wear it, which is hardly a valid reason. What is my goal? I only intend to educate people about this rising problem and that you as a community help to put a stop to this madness and make the internet a better place to be. It would help if you report a constant fanboy to a moderator if possible as we need as little fanboys as possible on this amazing tech forum Thank you for your time.

I'd say it's not about fanboyism but about stupidity. Why Mr.A would buy a product just because one random person said it was "good" ? It blows my mind.

This has happened to me at work. people buy a phone because one of my team recommended it then coming back in complaining that they should have gotten the one they actually wanted instead.So many people are extremely stupid and unable to follow their own gut feelings. Its actually a miricale the world still exists.

my pc manufacturer did the same thing too, i wanted an amd fx series processor but he forced my to install intel i5 which is rather expensive and also lower in the performance.

He did alot worse job affter installing every piece of the hardware that was entry level and charged almost the the double of the money it actual costs.

In End the big issue was my gfx card which i changed later.

From what ive heard i5's are better for gaming. And if someone isnt doing what you asked them to do then you probably shouldnt be spending money at their shop/company/etc.

Your last sentence made me giggle. ^^