Fanboyism, it's going out of hand

JujuShinobi

Arguments are probably the best way to get information. An Nvidia Fanboy will dig you the best information about Nvidia and an AMD fanboy will get you the best information about AMD, the more you get the better.

I recon some posts are just plain rubbish and don't even answer one's question. Now, if you we're talking about a fanboy with really little knowledge on the matter, then his posts are going to be misleading, now that would be a problem.

You don't have to gather all your information from a single unbiased person. I don't think fanboyism is a real problem, the problem begin when they start being offensive and arrogant and/or misleading with erroneous data.

Opinions are in human nature and trying to change that, is a bad idea.

There is also the complete opposite to fanboyism well I know of one its the OCZ power supply's I personally use a zx 850 and its perfect but if you look at some reviewers or on some forms they will say all OCZ power supply's are crap and to avoid them like the plague.

Linus himself mentioned this before and that the rma rate of OCZ power supply's only comes second to some other not mentioned company over a 3 year period (The information came from NCIX's sales and returns).

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Your font gave me cancer.
I'm going to give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that the font was a random bug in the vBulletin beta, if not, then I would strongly suggest in the future not using Comic Sans when trying to start a serious discussion. You're right, it shouldn't matter what type face is used, but it does, it really does.

Opinions are all opinions, everybody is entitled to it. Just the OP needs to be more smart about it and do some individual research. I think one way for this "fanboyism" to stop occurring would be to implement a reputation system. So people with a higher reputation (and/or post count) are more reliable posters.

Personally for me, I recommend the brands that I have experienced and have a good customer support with such as CORSAIR, Steelseries, DAS Keyboard, etc.

"Fanboyism" has been around for quite some time (even before the internet), just in different forms, its a problem with people in general.

Best advice - Buy whatever product best suits your own personal needs, if you don't know what product that would be do your own research rather than trusting one random guy on the net.

Rig: CPU: 1x quad core potato(4.6GHz). Cooling: Iced Tea. GPU: AMD HDToaster. Motherboard: Asus "Stale Bread Extreme Edition". RAM: 2x 4GB sticks of 1600MHz celery. PSU: 650w Roborovski Hamster in wheel.  Storage: Many Floppy Disks. 

This kind of stuff removes my faith in humanity.
Screw going up, give me 2 tickets to the front row and lets go out in a bang!

Listening to other peoples opinions without giving your own time and effort into research. Isn't that basically an assumption? An ignorant assumption? hwcompare(.)com gives some basic analysis. There are so many resources out there. Buying a Hardware component, or anything for that matter, based solely on a forum "recommendation" (albeit fanboy opinion or expert). Kinda makes you an idiot

Just as an example, here is someone talking about someone buying some corsair vengence headset. "get a decent soundcard to go with it or at least a headphone amp to help drive the 50mm drivers" Not to mention any names, but this isn't fanboyism, but it related to it. This guy blatently doesn't have the slightest clue why you need an amp to drive high ohm headphones, and therefore just wants OP to waste his money. Roar.

Edit: Shit double post, forgot editing works now!

That's where you're to a certain extent wrong. A larger driver will require more power to move than a smaller one because it is simply a larger driver moving more air. Look at the difference between 15" and 18" drivers - the 18" drivers tend to take an extra 20% to drive than the 15". Look at HF tweeters; 1" drivers use only about 75% of what a 1.75 or 2" would use.

And as for the resistance thing; the higher the resistance of the driver, the more the amp will have to work and push itself to meet the demands of the driver.

actually some people who give more critics rather than the solution are called fanboys, not just they're like this stuff and hate them

"Fanboyism" has been around for quite some time (even before the internet), just in different forms, its a problem with people in general.

Best advice - Buy whatever product best suits your own personal needs, if you don't know what product that would be do your own research rather than trusting one random guy on the net.

lol'd so hard @ "its a problem with people in general" TRUTH!

To be perfectly honest, it's also "A"s fault for listening to "C", even though "C" did not provide any information. The only thing we can do to stop this is to question everything we're told, spread the best and fullest information we can provide, and hope for the best.

Just as an example, here is someone talking about someone buying some corsair vengence headset. "get a decent soundcard to go with it or at least a headphone amp to help drive the 50mm drivers" Not to mention any names, but this isn't fanboyism, but it related to it. This guy blatently doesn't have the slightest clue why you need an amp to drive high ohm headphones, and therefore just wants OP to waste his money. Roar.

Edit: Shit double post, forgot editing works now!

You are talking between a difference of 3" and 10-20mm in driver size. You know as well as I do that is a poor comparison.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

This kind of stuff removes my faith in humanity.
Bang.

Now gimme 20$.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

With the introduction of the internet' date=' many things have been created since then. Both good and bad. But there is one issue I would like to address right now which is fanboyism. What is it you might ask? Well it is basically the collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response. An example of a fanboy comment would be "If you didn't like the movie, you should'nt come here and trash it."Believe it or not, this also happens within the computer hardware sector. How is this a major problem you might ask? Well I have seen this happening on many tech forums like Tek Syndicate and it is really getting control. The other day, we have a guy who we shall name "A" who was asking what would be a good video card for around $300USD. A guy named "B" said that a good value card at the time was a GTX660Ti and that a lot of people love that card and didn't regret buying it. He also said the the CUDA will help accelerate Adobe products he A uses them. He also gave an AMD alternative which was a HD7870 and explained the good points about it as well. Then... we have the fanboy named "C" who said "You should get the 6950 because it's good and it's AMD" and not giving any more information about the card. Unfortunately, A was naive enough to listen to C and bought a 6950. UNEXCEPTABLE. You can see now what I mean how fanboyism is a major issue which should be addressed and stopped ASAP. There are quite a number of people right now wasting their money on bad products thanks to fanboy trolls saying that the product is "good" without saying much else. It's also like saying get Beats because cool people wear it, which is hardly a valid reason. What is my goal? I only intend to educate people about this rising problem and that you as a community help to put a stop to this madness and make the internet a better place to be. It would help if you report a constant fanboy to a moderator if possible as we need as little fanboys as possible on this amazing tech forum Thank you for your time.

I feel like I'm guy B, I post on Tek Syndicate sometimes and replied to something very similar to this with a very similar response.

To be perfectly honest, it's also "A"s fault for listening to "C", even though "C" did not provide any information. The only thing we can do to stop this is to question everything we're told, spread the best and fullest information we can provide, and hope for the best.
agreed, all you can really blame C for is wasting space on the forums

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

fan boys can be fan girls too.........LOL

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

The question is... Why didn't C recommend a 7950.
I wondered why neither B nor C recommended the 7950 as it is right at the $300 price point and a better performing graphics card than the 7870,that overclocks like crazy if you get lucky in the silicone lottery,and about on par with if not slightly better than the gtx 660 ti.

so I guess the true issue here is that A had a question B gave a good answer,provided an alternative which wasn't the best option available on the red side,and then C was so close to being right,he should have just changed the 6 to a 7.lol

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

why didn't anyone recommend a GTX 690 or Asus Ares II? best of both worlds.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

why didn't anyone recommend a GTX 690 or Asus Ares II? best of both worlds.
Not everyone has $1000 to spare lol

Just as an example' date=' here is someone talking about someone buying some corsair vengence headset. "get a decent soundcard to go with it or at least a headphone amp to help drive the 50mm drivers" Not to mention any names, but this isn't fanboyism, but it related to it. This guy blatently doesn't have the slightest clue why you need an amp to drive high ohm headphones, and therefore just wants OP to waste his money. Roar. Edit: Shit double post, forgot editing works now![/quote']

That reminds me more of mount stupid.

This happens with lots of things. Corsair/Seasonic PSUs, Ducky/Filco/Costar keyboards and Noctua fans come to mind

Yeah that happens to be the case nowadays.

This is the best thread I have read yet. I get what you are saying. I see it all the time on newegg on the reviews. Trying to buy the right parts for builds now a days is so hard because you always get mixed feeling about products. I don't trust the internet at all I always go with my gut feeling and it hasn't failed me yet. I like all brands from all different companies
Well right now I myself am debating between a 7870 or a 660Ti, and most of the suggestions I got were not very helpful

You're not going to change the internet any time soon. A lot of people are like this, and the only way to disrupt them is to overload them with proof of why his product of preference may not be the best choice. They are often just kids that don't know a lot yet (come on now, we've all been through that phase right?). I'm happy to see not all of this forum is like that though.

Seeing as there is no way to just ''stop'' them from being there, we should help them and either convince them that their theory is wrong, or just ignore them and move on.

The person A you were talking about, OP, was also pretty stupid for just following someones advice randomly. It's a two way problem. People giving advice should give good proven advice that is relevant to OP's interest and the OP shouldn't believe everything he sees on the internet.

I get what you mean, but every small step taken can lead to a better society

In one of his videos Logan mentioned the "because cake" argument, basically if your argument can be replaced with "cake" then it's not a valid argument ie, "the 7000 series are better" is the same as "the 7000 series are better because cake"

however, "the 7000 series are better because they use a smaller, more power efficient chip" is a valid argument

Yeah I watched that video and totally agree with what he said. And the example I gave was kind of an extreme example