LGA 775 Revival

seiny

Hey guys doing a revival build, would like some input :)

So what I have is:

MSI G31M3-L V2 Board

Intel celeron E1500

2GB kingston DDR2 667MHz

There's also a floppy drive involved.

I wanna add either:

core2duo E8400

or

core2quad Q8200

I know the core2quad is like a no-brainer but how much better is it than the core2duo?

Where can I see benchmarks for these cpu's?

Also gonna add another 2GB DDR2 667MHz :lol: !

And possibly a geforce 9800 (if I can find one)

I would take some pics but everything's so dirty, need to clean up first.

This build is just for the fun of it.

Also gonna have windows 8 :ph34r:  possibly..

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

The quad is basically the same as the duo with twice the core count. It's a safe bet that it will perform twice as well in multithreaded programs that use more than 2 threads.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The E8400 is a pretty damn good CPU. Not sure how much better the quad is though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If it was me I'd go with the Core 2 Quad

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If it was me I'd go with the Core 2 Quad

Yeah I think so

The E8400 is a pretty damn good CPU. Not sure how much better the quad is though.

The quad is basically the same as the duo with twice the core count. It's a safe bet that it will perform twice as well in multithreaded programs that use more than 2 threads.

Ok next question - Geforce 8500gt 1GB or 9500gt 512MB

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

9500gt cuz yolo

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah I think so

9500GT. A little more power.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The C2D E8400 will out perform the Q8200 in all apps that don`t utilize more than two cores, not to mention that the E8400 can be easily OC-ed to 4GHz.

Regarding the GPU, the 9500GT is a re-badge of the 8600GT, so I would go for the 9500GT ;)

The C2D E8400 will out perform the Q8200 in all apps that don`t utilize more than two cores, not to mention that the E8400 can be easily OC-ed to 4GHz.

Regarding the GPU, the 9500GT is a re-badge of the 8600GT, so I would go for the 9500GT ;)

OC on that board of mine? MSI G31M3-L V2

You can try, I tested it on an Gigabyte board with the same chipset as yours and got 3.7GHz, but even at default the E8400 will outperform the Q8200. 

E8400 is clocked at 3GHz and has 6MB of L2 cache for 2 cores, where the Q8200 is clocked at 2.33GHz and has 4MB of L2 cache for 4 cores.

You can try, I tested it on an Gigabyte board with the same chipset as yours and got 3.7GHz, but even at default the E8400 will outperform the Q8200. 

E8400 is clocked at 3GHz and has 6MB of L2 cache for 2 cores, where the Q8200 is clocked at 2.33GHz and has 4MB of L2 cache for 4 cores.

E8400 was used to crush most C2Q ;)

(demn intel an their marketing politics, y u lock ur shit?)

E8400 order placed.

E8400 order placed.

I`m assuming used? I can`t imagine that someone has those CPU`s on their shelves :)

If it was me I would have overclocked the hell out of that E1500, it performs quite admirable when you push it @ 3GHz+ ;)

Don't forget to check BIOS version :D

Wait, what :o ! what should I be looking for?

I`m assuming used? I can`t imagine that someone has those CPU`s on their shelves :)

If it was me I would have overclocked the hell out of that E1500, it performs quite admirable when you push it @ 3GHz+ ;)

Never overclocked before, advise me?

You can use CPU-Z to check the current bios version, and then check on the MSI website which version you need to run a Wolfdale based CPU. You can find that here.

As for overclocking the C2Ds are relatively easy to OC. The E1500 has an 11 multiplier so you calculate the clock speed of the CPU as FSBx11, the stock speed is 200x11=2200MHz, if you can get 300MHz FSB out of your board you will get the clock speed to 3.3GHz. That will require some trial and error, first to see can that board do that FSB clock (that shouldn't be an issue as it supports 333MHz FSB out of the box when flashed with the latest bios) and then to see how good of an overclocker your CPU is. You will also have to raise the CPU voltage, and maybe the NB voltage to stabilize the system. I ran my Pentium E2140 @ 2.96GHz at 1.44v

You can check system stability with programs like Prime95, LinX, OCCT or Orthos.

But overclocking will raise the heat output of the CPU so you should monitor the temperatures, CoreTemp will help there, anything to 65-70c under load is OK but I would not push it over that. If you're using the stock cooler your overcloking will be limited.

You can use CPU-Z to check the current bios version, and then check on the MSI website which version you need to run a Wolfdale based CPU. You can find that here.

As for overclocking the C2Ds are relatively easy to OC. The E1500 has an 11 multiplier so you calculate the clock speed of the CPU as FSBx11, the stock speed is 200x11=2200MHz, if you can get 300MHz FSB out of your board you will get the clock speed to 3.3GHz. That will require some trial and error, first to see can that board do that FSB clock (that shouldn't be an issue as it supports 333MHz FSB out of the box when flashed with the latest bios) and then to see how good of an overclocker your CPU is. You will also have to raise the CPU voltage, and maybe the NB voltage to stabilize the system. I ran my Pentium E2140 @ 2.96GHz at 1.44v

You can check system stability with programs like Prime95, LinX, OCCT or Orthos.

But overclocking will raise the heat output of the CPU so you should monitor the temperatures, CoreTemp will help there, anything to 65-70c under load is OK but I would not push it over that. If you're using the stock cooler your overcloking will be limited.

I'm running the latest bios V28 and the e8400 requires V22 am I safe? Also the E1500 is on the stock cooler but I'll experiment

Yes you are ;)

You have a newer version than the minimum required :)

And one more thing if you can get your hands on a Q9400 or even better a Q9550 that would be a decent Quad build  B)

You can try, I tested it on an Gigabyte board with the same chipset as yours and got 3.7GHz, but even at default the E8400 will outperform the Q8200

Not really, multi-threaded is fair amount better but overall they are pretty equal.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Not really, multi-threaded is fair amount better but overall they are pretty equal.

The C2D E8400 will out perform the Q8200 in all apps that don`t utilize more than two cores....

I men`t this from my previous post. I he`s going to be encoding video or doing some 3D rendering on that computer then the Q8200 would have a slight edge in the performance because of it`s 4 cores, but if he`s going to surf the internet, listen to music, watch movies, and play some older games on it then the E8400 will do a better job :)

I had an e8500 and it performed great in anything. I actually had it pared with my gtx 780ti for a while. The only thing I noticed that was restricted as far as the cpu went was that I was unable to a L.A. Noire.

I had an e8500 and it performed great in anything. I actually had it pared with my gtx 780ti for a while. The only thing I noticed that was restricted as far as the cpu went was that I was unable to a L.A. Noire.

You had a 780ti on the lga 775 board? How does that work?

Why wouldn't it work? The CPU will bottleneck the 780 though but it will work.

Why wouldn't it work? The CPU will bottleneck the 780 though but it will work.

I thought PCIe 3.0 cards weren't backward compatible with PCIe 1.0 slots.. Looks like I was wrong :)  I looked it up on wikipedia the other day, maybe I didn't read the whole thing

There are LGA 775 boards with PCI-e 2.0 ;)

And some 3.0 card do work in 1.0 slots :)

My GTX 650 Ti and GTX 660 are Gen 3.0 but my board is Gen 2.0 and they work perfectly fine. Also my brothers old Asus X38 is paired with a Gen 3.0 GTX 760 and works perfectly fine.