Nexus 5, need help to decide!

TonnyKing01

Hi!

I'm looking into buying the LG Nexus 5, love everything about it and it would be perfect for me... But! I'm afraid that as soon as I buy it, the new Nexus will come out. Can you tell me when is the new Nexus expected to come out and will the Nexus 5 be updated with a newer Android as the newer Nexus phones and Android updates come out?

Hi!

I'm looking into buying the LG Nexus 5, love everything about it and it would be perfect for me... But! I'm afraid that as soon as I buy it, the new Nexus will come out. Can you tell me when is the new Nexus expected to come out and will the Nexus 5 be updated with a newer Android as the newer Nexus phones and Android updates come out?

Well there are rumours Google will not be making any more nexus devices

But if they were to release a Nexus 6, it would be soon, the 5 Has been around for AGES

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Probably some time around October to December

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

If a new Nexus comes out, will the Nexus 5 get updated constantly with the newer Android updates?

If a new Nexus comes out, will the Nexus 5 get updated constantly with the newer Android updates?

I believe it will get Android L and the new updates, though it might not get all features

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thank you ShadowCaptain, and can you tell me how to reply to comments/replies that are on a topic. :S

the 5 Has been around for AGES

Ages?? It was released like 7-8 months ago lol

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Thank you ShadowCaptain, and can you tell me how to reply to comments/replies that are on a topic. :S

You can press the "Quote" button in the bottom right of posts, or you can write '@' before someone's name to tag them in a post, like this --> @TonnyKing01

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Yes, but not for long.

It'll definitely get Android L, and maybe the release after that, but that's probably it.

Ages?? It was released like 7-8 months ago lol

Yeah, that is ages ago these days, it was back in oct 2013, since phones tend to be on at least yearly cycles you can assume we are only a couple of months off a new model

Yes, but not for long.

It'll definitely get Android L, and maybe the release after that, but that's probably it.

OK, sounds good, thanks for the info :D

You can press the "Quote" button in the bottom right of posts, or you can write '@' before someone's name to tag them in a post, like this --> @TonnyKing01

Thank you, I've been struggling with that one.

The 5 is a very solid phone, and even if support stops after L, that's more than a year away. I would say go for it! Who knows, if they stop making Nexus phones, it'll be rare and worth money in a few years :P

The Nexus 6 will be release roughly a year after the Nexus 5, so expect it in october/november time. 

I'm looking forward to it myself.

Yeah, that is ages ago these days, it was back in oct 2013, since phones tend to be on at least yearly cycles you can assume we are only a couple of months off a new model

Man, no! It has not been AGES, it takes at least 1 year for a new phone to come out, if 1 and 1/2 years have passed then you can complain. but I get what you mean and since the 5th one was amazing I hope a 6th one comes out...

The 5 is a very solid phone, and even if support stops after L, that's more than a year away. I would say go for it! Who knows, if they stop making Nexus phones, it'll be rare and worth money in a few years :P

Hahaha, thanks. I really hope I can get this phone, I just love it :D

Man, no! It has not been AGES, it takes at least 1 year for a new phone to come out, if 1 and 1/2 years have passed then you can complain. but I get what you mean and since the 5th one was amazing I hope a 6th one comes out...

I didnt say the nexus 5 is shit or anything I just said its been out a while. Its coming up to a year old, lots of new phones have come out since then. It stands to reason that it will be replaced soon by a superior model

There is notihng wrong with the 5. But since you asked "if I buy it now will a new one come out soon" it almost certainly will. BUT its a nexus device so it should stay up to date nicely. I am sure the snapdragon 800 will fully support android L so you should get all of those updates too

Hahaha, thanks. I really hope I can get this phone, I just love it :D

post-44947-0-42514800-1405089580.gif

Yes, but not for long.

Even the nexus 4 gets android L support that phone is been arround for 2 years now. You will atleast get 2 extra years of support from google. Then (if you need it) you can make a step to Cyanogenmod wich will give the nexus longer support.

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I didnt say the nexus 5 is shit or anything I just said its been out a while. Its coming up to a year old, lots of new phones have come out since then. It stands to reason that it will be replaced soon by a superior model

There is notihng wrong with the 5. But since you asked "if I buy it now will a new one come out soon" it almost certainly will. BUT its a nexus device so it should stay up to date nicely. I am sure the snapdragon 800 will fully support android L so you should get all of those updates too

Yeah :/ ... Thank you for the information, it really helped :)

Even the nexus 4 gets android L support that phone is been arround for 2 years now. You will atleast get 2 extra years of support from google. Then (if you need it) you can make a step to Cyanogenmod wich will give the nexus longer support.

Hmmmm... thats a good point, thank you @sterreprop .

I would wait for Nexus 6 to come up and drop prices for the other devices, then I would get a Samsung GS4. I hate Samsung don't get me wrong but that phone is soo cheap rn, for the specs.

If you feel ok with waiting until early Q4 do it, a Google exec confirmed (well implied) a new nexus this year. If you can't wait the 5 is still a great phone and as time goes every flagship is less superior than its antecesor

I'm waiting for the N6 to come out so I can pick up a N5 for even cheaper, have a Moto G at the moment so don't need a new phone immediately. 

If I do get an N5, it will definitely be with the wireless charger though!

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

I was thinking about the same thing myself, I ended up with the HTC One M8. Love it, but it is pricy when compared to the Nexus

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches