PLP vs Ultrawide vs LLL vs 2 monitors

I will buy some monitors with my new pc in one month. I was thinking about the set-ups I could use and have a hard time finding a good option for me. The pc I will buy will be GTX780 based with probably future upgrade to SLI. My screen buget is around 700-800$ I will use this pc primarily for video editing, special effects and photo work, but I also want to play on my computer and that is where 2 displays won't do the job due to the bezel in the centre.

I though about 3 monitors in landscape, but I heard a lot of games just stretch the image on the sides and I think its too wide.

The Ultra-wide screens are really appealing but:

• LG 34" 1440p 1000$
  • LG 34" 1080p 700$ (I am not sure how 1080p looks at this size)
  • Other 29" 1080p around 500$ (I think they don't have enough height)

Then I though about PLP I can edit and game on it, it is less wide then LLL, but I don't know what size monitors I should get or if there will be game stretching issues. I want to know if it would be a good option for me, how I should set it up, and how much it would cost?

For clarification, are the P's and L's "portrait" and "landscape"?

EDIT: Also follow your own thread so that you know when people post in it.

• 4 months later...

Hey, about a year ago I tried different monitor setups.

I have tested different setups, all with Dell Ultrasharp monitors. (their "better" monitor line)

2 x 24 inch widescreen 16:9 -> I didn't like the bezels cutting up the displayed area, right in front me.

1 x 30 inch widescreen 16:10 and 2 x 19 inch 4:3 in portrait  ( PLP, or Portrait - Landscape - Portrait setup)  -> the total screen surface was just too big if you sit close to your desk, as you normally would.  Also, 16:10 is less ideal for playing games, and you cannot use the two side monitors in portrait mode with most games.  Stuff like Eyefinity (extend game viewing area onto multiple monitors) only works if the monitors are equalliy sized.  And 3 x widescreen monitors next to eachother is just ridiculous, IMO.  And you might need multiple graphics cards to support this setup.

1 x 29 inch ultrawidescreen 21:9 ->  I settled with this setup.  It provides 30% more viewing area than a standard widescreen, just enough to allow me put the "extra utilities" on screen which I need, which I would otherwise place on a side monitor.

I now have the Dell 29UW 2560x1080, and very satisfied with it since a year.  I'm now looking at the soon to be released Dell 34UWC 3360x1440 (curved ) as a possible upgrade.

Ah, get it now. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I picked up my LG 34UM95-P on sale for <$800 and I am super happy with it. 

That being said it is for 70% productivity 30% gaming. Some stuff does not scale well. (Like RTS games)