Is it my PSU, or something else?

So I got me a brand new GPU, a PowerColor R9 R90X, and I've been not to sure if it's got a good enough power supply to support it.

See, I was playing MvM on TF2 with a couple of friends, and about halfway through on Mann Up Mode by PC randomly restarted by itself suddenly. I'm not sure if this could be TF2 or Steam's fault, but afterwards when I tried rejoining the server it said the server was outdated. Putting that out there incase someone knows it was simply TF2 or not.

I have a Corsair 650TX

AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, I know, massive bottle neck, but I'll hopefully take care of that, no need to comment on it.

4 Fans, 3 are LED with 2 of them beign color shift.

I talked to my friend about it and he beleives the PSU is too weak, but iirc a couple of people on here a while back said my setup could have a 290x. So I need a solid statement.

I ended up clocking it down and TF2 never made my PC restart again, I'm also even playing Metro Last Light now. Also what temperture is alarming for 290x? And if a PSU can't give out enough juice, can it damage parts?

its no where near too weak

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I don't see the PSU being a problem, but it is a possibility. Although my PC has randomly restarted before, also.

Huge bottleneck yea, but I don't see 650W being a problem, It's easily enough for a single card.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

Huge bottleneck yea, but I don't see 650W being a problem, It's easily enough for a single card.

plos no hippie bottlenecks shit on this forum. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

plos no hippie bottlenecks shit on this forum. 

Uhm, what?

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

some games do that, like in AOE III my pc does that after about 48 mins, the game is old and was ment to be played on winxp.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

the PSU could be the problem, but NOT because of the low Watt, but because somethings wrong with it that makes it cut power maybe

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

the PSU could be the problem, but NOT because of the low Watt, but because somethings wrong with it that makes it cut power maybe

It never did this before with my GTX 660s nor old ass 6570.

So I guess it was probably TF2 making my PC bend over for a minute, glad that's all it probably is.

so this restart happens after you installed the new 290X?

before the 290X was installed

what GPU you were using?

which exact model of the 290X you are using?

AMD drivers version?

can you replicate the problem again? and see what temps you get for CPU and GPU? 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

That's one of a bottleneck mate

But it could be that your psu is too weak since mine could easily pull 300+ watt.

What drivers are you using?

did you ever notice if it ran hot?

so this restart happens after you installed the new 290X?

before the 290X was installed

what GPU you were using?

which exact model of the 290X you are using?

AMD drivers version?

can you replicate the problem again? and see what temps you get for CPU and GPU? 

Radeon 6570. And before that an Asus GTX 660, which I got 3 defective cards in a row.

Most recent non beta drivers.

And dunno if it can be recplicated again, I haven't been crashing anymore after I clocked it down a tad.

That's one of a bottleneck mate

But it could be that your psu is too weak since mine could easily pull 300+ watt.

What drivers are you using?

did you ever notice if it ran hot?

I tried monitering it, highest I ever noticed was like 62C.

Also didn't mention the game actually froze for a second before the PC suddenly restarted, it wasn't a sudden flash of a restart, maybe it was really just the game.

Radeon 6570. And before that an Asus GTX 660, which I got 3 defective cards in a row.

Most recent non beta drivers.

And dunno if it can be recplicated again, I haven't been crashing anymore after I clocked it down a tad.

I tried monitering it, highest I ever noticed was like 62C.

what is the model of the 290X GPU?

have you try with Unigine?

do some 3D benchmarks like Unigine or Firestrike or run other games with the stock clocks to verify if its the GPU at fault

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what is the model of the 290X GPU?

have you try with Unigine?

do some 3D benchmarks like Unigine or Firestrike or run other games with the stock clocks to verify if its the GPU at fault

A PowerColor R9 290x, I'm not sure what else to say it is. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131548&cm_re=powercolor_r9_290x-_-14-131-548-_-Product

And I'll try.

So I tried Unigine and everythign seemed fine.

http://puu.sh/a4RHF/55b0ab8ff1.jpg

Though something concerns me, the Benchmark constantly said my GPU was 0c temperture, yet Speccy kept saying it was around 62c.

Here's the settings I benchmarked at: http://puu.sh/a4RJ3/10ca35b9f5.jpg

looks fine the coolers are doing the job

run GPU-Z ID 

it will monitor the GPU load and temps

now try with other games other than TF2

watch the temps and clocks in gpuz or something. if it hits the 94 degree marker and then starts throtling you need to set a more agressive fan profile, like 85% fan at 85 degrees or something. if it starts throtling before it hits the 94 degree temp marker it usually is a power problem or a defective card.

also, is your psu single or multi rail? if its a multi, and the rail powering the 8 pin isnt rated for at least 13 to 15 amps you might be clipping that rail cutting of half the power to the gpu (and partial powerloss to the gpu will result in a freeze and a reboot).  dont thrust the vendors website, a lot of sites list multi rail psu`s as single for some reason.. check the label on the psu or get the spec sheet of the manufacturers site. if it says 12v1-12amp, 12v2-12amp, 12v3-12amp, etc its a multirail. if its a single it should say something like 12v - 40 amp

if your running any gpu that uses at least one 8 pin connector you should use a single rail psu or one that has enough amps on the rails to take at least 15 amps. An 8pin connector takes max 150watts. 150/12= 12.5 amps .

i`m running a 600 watt psu from coolermaster with a single 42 amp rail without problems now, but it cost me two 950watt ms-tech psu`s i had lying around, these had multiple 16amp rails and still blew out.

max wattage output listed for a psu really doesnt mean anything. some server psu`s deliver houndreds of watts on the 3 or 5 volt rails cause they are made for disk farms. one of those, even if its 1500 watt, will blow out in your system

Well, I'm been playing games like Metro: Last Light, the Forest, TF2, and such fine now, but today, when I was just simply on the internet my PC suddenly BSOD.

"Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    a0000001
  BCP1:    0000000000000005
  BCP2:    0000000000000000
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    0000000000000000
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\071114-19422-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Minty\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-59139-0.sysdata.xml

"

Here's the "details" it could show me, I clocked ym GPU back down. I'm not sure how to understand this log.

watch the temps and clocks in gpuz or something. if it hits the 94 degree marker and then starts throtling you need to set a more agressive fan profile, like 85% fan at 85 degrees or something. if it starts throtling before it hits the 94 degree temp marker it usually is a power problem or a defective card.

also, is your psu single or multi rail? if its a multi, and the rail powering the 8 pin isnt rated for at least 13 to 15 amps you might be clipping that rail cutting of half the power to the gpu (and partial powerloss to the gpu will result in a freeze and a reboot).  dont thrust the vendors website, a lot of sites list multi rail psu`s as single for some reason.. check the label on the psu or get the spec sheet of the manufacturers site. if it says 12v1-12amp, 12v2-12amp, 12v3-12amp, etc its a multirail. if its a single it should say something like 12v - 40 amp

if your running any gpu that uses at least one 8 pin connector you should use a single rail psu or one that has enough amps on the rails to take at least 15 amps. An 8pin connector takes max 150watts. 150/12= 12.5 amps .

i`m running a 600 watt psu from coolermaster with a single 42 amp rail without problems now, but it cost me two 950watt ms-tech psu`s i had lying around, these had multiple 16amp rails and still blew out.

max wattage output listed for a psu really doesnt mean anything. some server psu`s deliver houndreds of watts on the 3 or 5 volt rails cause they are made for disk farms. one of those, even if its 1500 watt, will blow out in your system

And, I don't remember if it's rail or not, all I can say is it isn't modular..

Uh.. hello?

And now my PC's constantly stuttering.

Alright, edited the post and saying the PC isn't stuttering anymore and it's running games the way it did before the BSOD again, all I did was turn off the PC for a half hour. Though, I'm worried the issue isn't gonna just slide away, what should I do?

looks fine the coolers are doing the job

run GPU-Z ID 

it will monitor the GPU load and temps

now try with other games other than TF2

http://puu.sh/a75Zn/1296b551bb.gif

I ran Unigine Heaven on max everything on 1920x1080 Windowed and got this.

Anything alarming?

Uh.. hello?

And now my PC's constantly stuttering.

Alright, edited the post and saying the PC isn't stuttering anymore and it's running games the way it did before the BSOD again, all I did was turn off the PC for a half hour. Though, I'm worried the issue isn't gonna just slide away, what should I do?

It's your card man, everyone has problems with those Power Color R9 290's and 290X's (BSOD issues, performance issues). Just check Newegg or many forums. If you are going with an R9 290 or 290X, go with Sapphire. 

It's your card man, everyone has problems with those Power Color R9 290's and 290X's (BSOD issues, performance issues). Just check Newegg or many forums. If you are going with an R9 290 or 290X, go with Sapphire.

So I guess I have to refund it then..

Fucking hell, I've litteraly wasted more than a year of my life on GPU bullshit, first ASUS sends me 3 defective cards in a row, then turns out Powercolor's 290xes are shit.

Are you sure it's not your GPU crashing and not being able to connect back to the monitor again? Next time it happens check to see if your PC is on (check your actual computer, don't insta-restart when your monitor goes black).

If so then you'll need to RMA your card; it's a problem with the memory.

P.S. These issues are uber common which is why I'm scared away from the 290(x) cards xD. Ask for a card with Hynix memory, those cards have faaaaaaar less issues.