Windows 7 to Windows 8

agentagent47
Go to solution Solved by rhyseyness,

i can do that but the windows 8 is already installed by the service center

That's ok.

You can create a windows 8 ISO, or use the disk to reinstall after.

1. Create ISO for windows 8 and windows 7 install

2. Format

3. Install 7 from ISO

4. Recover files

5. Copy/paste files to external drive

6. Format again

7. Install 8 from ISO/disk (whichever is more convenient

8. Take files from external drive and onto 8 laptop

That's assuming the standard recovery doesn't work in 8 of course

My orginal laptop is just went to the service center beacause the hard drive is rattle-rattle-ing

Before it went there i just backup the internal laptop hard drive to an external hard drive.... just in case somethings wrong

and my sense is right the service-man.....(don't judge what i call them ) forget to clone the hard drive before replacing it and the broken hard drive is already shipped to the part center ( in another word they exchange the broken hard drive first then they get the new hard drive )

soo the windows 7 is gone all my data on it is gone( on the laptop. The backup is still on my external hard drive )....AND somehow they cannot get their hand on a windows 7 cd soo they call me and said i got a option. do i want a windows 8 or windows xp ??? i choose windows 8......

but something cross my mind last night can i use the backup on the windows 8 ??? ( that's my question )

i use the included backup settings that come with windows 7

still done understand or something on your mind ?? just asked me :D

PS : the laptop haven't come back to my hand... i just wondering....need to asked this just soo i can calm myself and sleep alright

How did you save your backup?

Just copied the files you wanted onto the external drive?

i don't do the copy and paste thing i use windows 7 backup things.... it's automatic backup

If you just copied it's just dragging and dropping. If you made a system restore image or whatever they're called I have no idea. Someone will chime in, just wait.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

If you just copied it's just dragging and dropping. If you made a system restore image or whatever they're called I have no idea. Someone will chime in, just wait.

i thing i use the system restore image...

i can't wait...i can but it back next week and i and wondering+can't sleep with that still on my mind

i thing i use the system restore image...

i can't wait...i can but it back next week and i and wondering+can't sleep with that still on my mind

You may be able to IDK...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

i don't do the copy and paste thing i use windows 7 backup things.... it's automatic backup

Yea I think that will work with windows 8.

Just go to "recovery" on the control panel after you've installed windows, and click "restore."

If not, you can install windows 7 from an ISO file on a USB (You can create this from any windows 7 based PC I think), recover your data from your external drive on windows 7 through recovery, then copy and paste anything you want to keep onto your external hard drive. NOT using windows recovery.

After this you can reformat, install your new copy of windows 8, then copy and paste all your data back from your external drive onto your windows 8 laptop.

Yea I think that will work with windows 8.

Just go to "recovery" on the control panel after you've installed windows, and click "restore."

If not, you can install windows 7 from an ISO file on a USB (You can create this from any windows 7 based PC I think), recover your data from your external drive on windows 7 through recovery, then copy and paste anything you want to keep onto your external hard drive. NOT using windows recovery.

After this you can reformat, install your new copy of windows 8, then copy and paste all your data back from your external drive onto your windows 8 laptop.

YES IT CAN... if not there are like 10000000 different programs that can do it.........

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

That's ok.

2. Format

3. Install 7 from ISO

4. Recover files

6. Format again

YES IT CAN... if not there are like 10000000 different programs that can do it.........

really....?? *suspicious*

That's ok.

2. Format

3. Install 7 from ISO

4. Recover files

6. Format again

good one.... i ill use your guide, if it's turns out i can't restore my data using the windows 7 system restore image

That's ok.

2. Format

3. Install 7 from ISO

4. Recover files

6. Format again

seems very time consuming and a lot of things could go wrong....

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

patient what linus say ( i think )

everything is on in the detail

take it easy

patient what linus say ( i think )

everything is on in the detail

take it easy

lol

good one.... i ill use your guide, if it's turns out i can't restore my data using the windows 7 system restore image

Good luck!

If you get stuck, let us know :)

Well as long as he's careful, it should be fine.

I can't see too much that could go wrong.

It will be worth the time and effort if he gets his files back :)