new system {i7 4970k heat problem}

hi, this is my first post and i'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.
basic system info

• ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 
  • intel Core i7-4790k

note* there is no gpu

I don't know why is my system running is running so hot

http://i.imgur.com/hHKJ4Aq.png

and i have a second question: what is the best way to control a fan curve/ fan speed at different CPU temps 

thanks in advance :D

post-25009-0-74461900-1404936736_thumb.p

post-25009-0-74461900-1404936736_thumb.p

if I have future problems, what information should I include? 

What are your oc settings?

if I have future problems, what information should I include?

Full system information and when the issue first occurred along with how long has it been happening to you.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

4.0 ghz / stock settings. I have no overclocked yet, in cpu z its says core voltage 1.268V. I do not think i changed anything in UEFI

Full system information and when the issue first occurred along with how long has it been happening to you.

you're monitoring the iGPU temp though use a program like HWmonitor to monitor CPU temp

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

4.0 ghz / stock settings. I have no overclocked yet, in cpu z its says core voltage 1.268V. I do not think i changed anything in UEFI

Did you use stock heatsink and stock thermal paste?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Did you use stock heatsink and stock thermal paste?

no, i used  XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 an thermal paste that came with it 

Interesting that your GPU is so hot as well. What is your cooling setup on this thing?

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop

Interesting that your GPU is so hot as well. What is your cooling setup on this thing?

im running integrated graphics with XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 cooler and five case fans

it's a miss reading faulty sensor some where if your CPU was really that hot the PC would shut down

ok so im just scary for no reason, LOL

when im overclocking (from 4.0/stock to 4.2ish and then 4.5/4.6 in after future years) what do you recommend I do.

do you think I should RMA it, my dad says it could leed to problems

RMA it, that chip shouldn't be getting hotter than the mid 60's, 

I wouldn't say its a faulty censor, i've seen chips run over 100c without shutting down or even throttling.

You may want to check the cooler is mounted properly and and the airflow isn't blowing warm air onto the chip creating oven effect before you RMA it.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

ok so im just scary for no reason, LOL 

when im overclocking (from 4.0/stock to 4.2ish and then 4.5/4.6 in after future years) what do you recommend I do.

do you think I should RMA it, my dad says it could leed to problems 

RMA it, that chip shouldn't be getting hotter than the mid 60's, 

I wouldn't say its a faulty censor, i've seen chips run over 100c without shutting down or even throttling.

You may want to check the cooler is mounted properly and and the airflow isn't blowing warm air onto the chip creating oven effect before you RMA it.

I would RMA it but for it to actually be running that hot is highly unlikely no newer chip will run that hot with out shutting off. older ones yes but they would burn up after a short period of time. if you want to check if it is a faulty sensor once you see the temps that high touch one of the copper pipes on the heat sink see how long you can hold your finger on it if you can hold it on for more than a second it's a faulty sensor. you can also remove the cooler and see how long the PC stays on if you are brave enough and have enough faith in the safety features in newer chips and motherboards

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

I'd say first step is to check the mount of your CPU cooler. Take it off and make sure you remove any plastic and actually installed the correct amount of thermal paste.

If everything seems okay, RMA the chip.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

it's a miss reading faulty sensor some where if your CPU was really that hot the PC would shut down

This isn't true. My current CPU touched over 100c and didn't shut down and I run the same chip.

I'd say first step is to check the mount of your CPU cooler. Take it off and make sure you remove any plastic and actually installed the correct amount of thermal paste.

If everything seems okay, RMA the chip.

Do this ^^. Reseat the whole  CPU. Clean and apply.

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop

Talk about Devil's Canyon! lol...

Anyway, I thought mine idling at 34°C was high! As others have said, try re-applying your heatsink with a better thermal compound, I use MX-4.

---

As a side question, what is an ideal idle temp for an OC'd DC chip? Mine is on adaptive vcore running from 1.1v to 1.29v the temps bounce pretty quickly but generally stick around 34-40°C idle. Core 1-3 run about 4-5° cooler.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

edit:nm

you need to re-install the cooler and do it properly this time ~90c at idle would mean your cooler isn't making contact at all 

edit:nm

you need to re-install the cooler and do it properly this time ~90c at idle would mean your cooler isn't making contact at all 

Its at 90C under load. But yeah, reseat and retest.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

on my board with an i5 4570 locked i cant even leave it default settings it used to stay at 1.080v and now whatever i do it jump 1.2xx V whenver in load i have to used fixed voltage with disabled speedstep lol,else my cpu overheats.Crap chipset imo.