This is what Samsung's virtual reality headset, Gear VR, looks like

Dietrichw

Source

gearvr_630pxhedimg_sammobile.jpg

Wondering what Samsung's virtual reality headset looks like? Well stop wondering, because when it's announced at IFA 2014 later this year, it'll look something like what you see above. That's a render straight from Samsung, care of SamMobile. Our sources confirm that, while what they've seen isn't exactly like what's pictured above, it's very similar; we're guessing the render is a closer target to the retail model than the developer kits currently in the wild. Keep in mind Samsung still hasn't even teased the headset we detailed last month across two reports.

The headset remains a peripheral: You'll use it in conjunction with your phone, which plugs in via USB and acts as your screen. The hardware is built by Samsung; the software is built by Oculus VR -- the folks behind the incredibly impressive Oculus Rift.

The image highlights another feature we're first hearing about today: a touchpad along the right side. Presumably this will help solve the issue of interaction within the headset's Oculus VR-built software, which was handled by nodding last we heard.

The report also states that Samsung will make the headset's software development kit available shortly after it's announced, just ahead of Oculus VR's first-ever dev conference. Imagine that! We wouldn't be shocked to hear that every developer at Oculus Connect walks away with a free Gear VR headset, fresh for development.

Haha, I just finished writing about this. I'm pretty excited what future editions which use phones with Project Tango will be like.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

What's with the black and orange quotes lately? text colors within quotations have been like this since last week or so,, :huh:

Details separate people.

What's with the black and orange quotes lately? text colors within quotations have been like this since last week or so,, :huh:

I highlight the important stuff

I highlight the important stuff

Ohh... quite right then, ^_^ Thnks for the quick reply

Details separate people.

So basically its the same as the cardboard google was giving out at google I/O this year just built out of metal or knowing samsung it will be plastic and has a little touchpad lol id rather the cardboard.

Omfg no

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

at least its readable in night theme

Considering what Samsung's done with their smartwatches, I fully expect this to be more expensive than the Oculus Rift (despite not having its own screen) and only be compatible with the Galaxy S6.

Looks like a Virtual Boy. Even has the same colors.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx