Devils Canyon Overclocking Results - Does it live up to the hype?

Simpy put this thread has been made in order to get an idea of the results various different people have been getting with their i5 4690K's and i7 4790K's, anywhere from the worst chip to the best chip on LTT.

I personally am getting my own in a few weeks and will be sharing my results on here.

This format would be appreciated:

CPU: i5 or i7

Highest  Overlock:

Highest Stable Overclock: (Minimum 12 hours)

Vendor: (Place where you bought it from)

All in all this should help give everyone an idea on the average highest OC achieved in general

Whether the chips live up to the hype

And lastly what store produces/sells the best chips around.

Thanks.

The problem with community results pooling is that a few idiots will lie.

I can do 4.6 on a 4690k and 4.8 on a 4790k. I'm migth update this with pictues to prove it but that will be in two weeks cause I'm currently in Murica. 

I got them from Mindfactory. Also these are stable overclocks. 24 hours of testing with aida 64. 

CPU: i5 4690k

Highest  Overlock: 4.8 @ 1.34V

Highest Stable Overclock: 4.7 @ 1.335V

Vendor: mylemon.at

Does not live up to the hype, my moms 3570k does a stable 4.8 @ 1.305V

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

my answer is no it doesn't but other may feel differently

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

its just as bad as a delidded haswell.  

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

its just as bad as a delidded haswell.  

haswell isn't too bad I got mine stable at 4.8

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

@theawesomejman

Should also specify whether they are water cooled or air cooled and with what cooler so people get an a good idea of what cooler to buy as well if they are deciding to upgrade :D

haswell isn't too bad I got mine stable at 4.8

most of them are. my pentium does 4.9ghz, but it won't do 5ghz, even with 1.6v. that is the worst scaling cpu above 4.8ghz i have ever had. most of them make ivy look good for overclocking :P 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

@theawesomejman

Should also specify whether they are water cooled or air cooled and with what cooler so people get an a good idea of what cooler to buy as well if they are deciding to upgrade :D

They can add that information if they want to, I don't want this to become what's the best way to cool a CPU, but yeah you got a point.

They can add that information if they want to, I don't want this to become what's the best way to cool a CPU, but yeah you got a point.

Its actually quite essential information that people want to see. People also want to see the temps as well

EDIT: Also maybe what case you have would be good info considering, most of the time, CPU temp is dependant on case airflow and cable management and space

Not that I really want to burst the bubble, but isn't this thread effectively a less-informative duplicate of the LTT overclocking database?

I'm working on my 4690K overclock right now, I suppose I'll post an update when I get something stable.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

I7-4770k

Micro center

4.8 ghz on a swifteck h320.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Not sure if I struck gold but I'm running a 4790k a 4.7 GHz a 1.168 Vcore, essentially all I did was bump the Vcore off auto by .001 and turned the CPU current draw to %140 and ran with it. Done multiple Cinebench passes no problem but I haven't tried anything super stressful yet.

Not that I really want to burst the bubble, but isn't this thread effectively a less-informative duplicate of the LTT overclocking database?

I'm working on my 4690K overclock right now, I suppose I'll post an update when I get something stable.  

this premise is kinda being done already with screenshot proof on the OC Database.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/17646-ltt-forums-cpu-overclocking-database/

really don't see another need for another repetitious thread?

This thread is specifically for Devils Canyon, two CPU's and to uncover their potential and whether they live up to the hype.

That thread as far as I know is a general Overlock thread, this is just specific, whereas the other one is general.

This saves time and hopefully only contains relevant info to Devils Canyon Overlocking, unlike the other one.

Hope you get what I'm saying.

I7-4770k

Micro center

4.8 ghz on a swifteck h320.

Thank you, but this thread is only for the i5 4690K and i7 4790K

Devils Canyon only.

Please stay on topic.

Not sure if I struck gold but I'm running a 4790k a 4.7 GHz a 1.168 Vcore, essentially all I did was bump the Vcore off auto by .001 and turned the CPU current draw to %140 and ran with it. Done multiple Cinebench passes no problem but I haven't tried anything super stressful yet.

I suggest trying to aim for a higher clock, with a higher VCore, but yeah you struck gold.

Almost seems unreal to run 4.7 GHz at 1.1VCore

well thats the only real validation we have on the forum.

you got many people replying they hit X frequency but not one validated screenshot provided...?

I have tested both i5 and i7 DC chips

4690k hit 4.6ghz @ 1.3V  4.7GHz was not happening for me. not even under water

4790k.. currently still testing but effectively the worst overclocking chip i have ever purchased. trying to stabilize 4.6ghz is going to require more than 1.34V for this chip.

The chips I have got in my opinion are below average.  DC has not been a welcoming experience for me. DC will basically guarantee a decent core speed of 4.6 or higher on air\water, thats it.

all the average DC OC results posted on hwbot are far from spectacular.

15fls12.jpg

if you want to see the 5.2ghz screenies I have those to :)

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I suggest trying to aim for a higher clock, with a higher VCore, but yeah you struck gold.

Almost seems unreal to run 4.7 GHz at 1.1VCore

Ran AIDA64 stress test for a few minutes and observed 1.184 Vcore under load at 4.7 GHz. I think I heard AIDA uses more voltage automatically. CPUz reports 1.176 for the VID.

Tried to DL ROG RealBench but I think their servers are down. Will try tomorrow and see.

Image of it running Cinebench, best score is 944cb at 4.7 GHz. Hope the pic is big enough to see.

1zody4l.jpg

Yeah mine is quite the pig. I hit the worst of the worst on my lottery ticket.

Cpu: 4790k

Highest overclock: 4.6ghz at 1.375v

Highest Stable Overclock: 4.6ghz 

Cooling: custom loop 2x 480 rads with only 1 cpu and 1 gpu block.

Tried 4.7ghz but i hit the throttle degree limit before i found any form of stability.

Mine was alright.  

CPU: 4690K

Highest stable overclock: 4.6GHz at 1.29V

Cooling: H100 with NF-F12s

Bought from NCIX

I think I can get higher because I'm only averaging 60C at this clock speed, but I need a functioning computer right now, so I'll have to try later.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

CPU: 4790k 4.7ghz @ 1.27v

Highest stable OC:  4.8ghz @ 1.34 

Cooling: H105 push pull 

Vendor: Amazon

I have gotten to 4.9ghz @ 1.38v but didn't like the temps hitting low 80's, so I run the 4.7ghz as my daily OC.

Alienware 15

-i7 7700hq

16gb 

256 960 Evo

1tb HDD

GTX1070