AMD vs Nvidia new GPUs

With rumours of both companies reusing the 28nm process for their new up and coming GPUs to be released in the next couple months (hopefully) Will we see more fierce than usual competition between AMD and Nvidia?

Talk can be heard all across the internet of AMD trying to drastically increase power efficiency and reduce heat output for their latest cards putting more pressure on Nvidia to stay on top of their game. Both up and coming cards appear to be using the same 28nm process and layout of the previous generation.

Will AMD pull ahead this time around with their highly competitive pricing, improved power efficiency and heat output?

Or will Nvidia retain their lead by pulling an ace out their sleeve?

What do you think?

Main Sources:      itworld.com/hardware/419558/amd-may-finally-have-power-efficient-gpu-works
                            theregister.co.uk/2014/06/20/amd_25x20_power_efficiency_pledge/

Well, if AMD make their cards cooler and more efficient, lets just say...SHIZZLE IS GONNA GO DOWN!

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I think it will be good to see some fierce completion between nvidia and amd.

Aside from price and power efficiency/heat there isn't much between them. At the end of the day, the competition will be good from consumers.

Lol I doubt AMD can increase the efficiency of their cards so that they are not a jet engine in your PC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lol I doubt AMD can increase the efficiency of their cards so that they are not a jet engine in your PC.

We can only hope...AND DANCE!

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

There has been speculation over both companies using closed loop water cooling systems built in to allow higher, more stable overclocks.

There has been speculation over both companies using closed loop water cooling systems built in to allow higher, more stable overclocks.

Source?

I would hate that being the reference design...I don't have space in my case for it.

Nvidia's next generation Maxwell won't need that, it's already ridiculously power efficient, look at 750Ti and below.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Doesn't sound like it would be true for Nvidia at least because of the reputed power efficiency of Maxwell.

I can't find the forum article at the moment but a condensed version of what is said was that: there wasn't that much they could change on that architecture (Nvidia) so increasing the clock speed was one of the only ways of increasing performance, which would result in more heat.

Doesn't sound like it would be true for Nvidia at least because of the reputed power efficiency of Maxwell.

Maxwell was reported to be a 20nm chip something which we won't be seeing for some time :(

with new cards allways come price battles. even month before them. its usually amd who is leading with P/P,  undercuts nvidia with new releases. also overclocking is / will play big role. and free game deals.

allways good to drop prices :D its no mistery that best p/p cards like 7870 / 7950 rule the market, and the premium price cards follow, dropping all the way down to 100$ - 250$ mark, where cards end up in very tight price points.

280x (HD7970) is allready dropping under 300$ huehuheuehuehe :U

Nvidia will retain their lead even if AMD pulls an ace out of their sleeve. Fanboyism will ensure the Greens prevail.

Nvidia will retain their lead even if AMD pulls an ace out of their sleeve. Fanboyism will ensure the Greens prevail.

At least if AMD does well, then their R&D budget goes through the roof meaning that they will be able to scare the pants off of Nvidia and their fan boys in years to come because they have money (which it all comes down to). To be fair though, AMD hasn't been doing very well for the last few years so those who were loyal to AMD have went to Nvidia. I just hope over the next couple of generations the tables will turn, or is at least be more balanced. 

At least if AMD does well, then their R&D budget goes through the roof meaning that they will be able to scare the pants off of Nvidia and their fan boys in years to come because they have money (which it all comes down to). To be fair though, AMD hasn't been doing very well for the last few years so those who were loyal to AMD have went to Nvidia. I just hope over the next couple of generations the tables will turn, or is at least be more balanced.

With people moving to higher resolutions their higher end r9 2xx series has done pretty well, but there's still lots of people who just assume AMD's cards are hot and loud, irrespective of which cooler is on it. It's that preconception that hinders AMD, and that is false.

I look forward to see what they do next. 290 performance at 280x price please!

if my calculations do not fail

i think nvidia cards will improve by 20%, still, i hope i be wrong 

because i think we will need at least a 40% improve

i know AMD already have a master plan (like always)  :ph34r:

but the green side, is always on dark (to me)

i hope that nvidia make something new and awesome (this time)

Joker - you know what i noticed?
nobody panics when things go "according to plan", even if the plan is horrifying  :lol: lol

if my calculations do not fail

i think nvidia cards will improve by 20%, still, i hope i be wrong 

because i think we will need at least a 40% improve

i know AMD already have a master plan (like always)  :ph34r:

but the green side, is always on dark (to me)

i hope that nvidia make something new and awesome (this time)

Joker - you know what i noticed?
nobody panics when things go "according to plan", even if the plan is horrifying  :lol: lol

As I think I mentioned earlier, i doubt there is that much more performance that both teams can squeeze out of their cards without putting the clocks up or doing something Frankenstein. If there is a fairly significant improvement, then I would be rather annoyed (let me explain) that would mean that that potential performance increase was there all the time and would have been able to be utilised on the last gen of cards which meant that both companies were cheating the consumer.

As I think I mentioned earlier, i doubt there is that much more performance that both teams can squeeze out of their cards without putting the clocks up or doing something Frankenstein. If there is a fairly significant improvement, then I would be rather annoyed (let me explain) that would mean that that potential performance increase was there all the time and would have been able to be utilised on the last gen of cards which meant that both companies were cheating the consumer.

still, i do think nvidia have the power (and i am super red, as you can see friend lol)

green plan was running super well, until the 20nm crash (they hit them like a truck)  :ph34r:

and if they release the Z before the 295, they will win a ton of $$$ (bad timing)  -_-

i am sure they can do a great next gen card (if they want) 

but they move really slow this year (not sure why)

but yea, i think they can do a great card

but yea, i think they can do a great card

Here's an interesting thought experiment! What if Nvidia don't deliver and AMD do with a 5-10% performance increase over Nvidia with lower heat and power combined with their lower prices. What would you buy?

I don't think Hawaii runs that hot anyway, it's not like GTX480 where regardless of cooler it couldn't be tamed.

It's just the garbage reference "cooler" that all the benchmarks use :P

But I'd like to see max TDPs of 250W (8+6 pin) while maintaining a high performance (so the rumored Hawaii XTX 3072 core @ 250W instead of a more likely 300W+).

AMD have a tough job though, with GCN they moved more towards Fermi by adding complicated stages etc to the pipeline but the result was a large increase in raw compute performance.

Whereas nVidia took a "RISC" approach and cut down on as much as possible (shader core etc) to reduce TDP and just use the die space for more CUDA cores. (Hence why GTX580 went from 512 cores to the 1536 in GTX680; but realistically the 580~=1000 cores because of shader clock).

Maxwell was reported to be a 20nm chip something which we won't be seeing for some time :(

Even the maxwell layout on the 28nm process is very power efficient..

Tonga is coming soon. Once it's here, we should have a better estimate. Like said above Maxwell is here on 28nm, and it's impressive.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Here's an interesting thought experiment! What if Nvidia don't deliver and AMD do with a 5-10% performance increase over Nvidia with lower heat and power combined with their lower prices. What would you buy?

oh, i'm not worry for AMD ^_^ 

i think they are targeting the 8k at this point (isn't even the 4k)

and all go "according to plan" lol  :lol:

(as far as i know)  :ph34r:

so... i raise my hopes on the green side also (but, i'm a very optimistic person to tell the truth)

It is so tiring always hearing that AMD GPUs run "hot , loud and draw a lot of power".

Hawaii chips do draw lots of power and take extra measures to cool, but Pitcairn, for example, is entirely different. I just got a brand new 270 Windforce for $165 and it maxed at 62C at 54%fan speed during firestrike. 1000mhz/1425mhz/stock voltage (1.206v max reading). This is with one case fan and closed side panels.

AMD throughout various generations had the power efficiency advantage over the green team, but no one really cared. Now it's like "OMG hope your PC doen't melt" when someone mentions an AMD graphics card...lame. That shit is so stupid. Even Hawaii with a proper cooler is not "hot", look at the tri-x 290(x) temps compared to reference 780(Ti). Remember too that GK110 is stupidly huge (not in a bad way), and a larger die is inherently easier to cool.

Whatever, I am excited to see the next generation from both AMD and Nvidia. If the next gpus are still made at 28nm, it will all come down to architecture; our little maxwell peek from the 750ti is pretty exciting so I can't wait to see the same architecture upsized a bit! Also, it will be fun to see if AMD starts pumping out GPUs at GLOFO and not only at TSMC; they restructured their gauranteed orders from GLOFO earlier in the year to include an extra 500million USD or so worth of chips. I doubt all 1.2billion USD of chips are going to be Piledriver FX, APUs, and console SOCs. The process node they are using at GLOFO for Kaveri was tailored for the CGN part and not the CPU (lower clock speeds on CPU than Richland), so CGN only chips are feasible without changing processes....hmmm :ph34r: