Microcenter crazyness...overwhelmed looking for advice

I went to Microcenter for the first time today and it got a little out of hand. It's all Valve's fault...damn Summer sale got me to buy $90 of games, most of which I cannot run lol.

I am currently using an OEM (Dell) Ivy-bridge Pentium machine with integrated graphics for my living room HTPC/gaming computer. It is a tiny case and has a useless power supply, so upgrading would be limited to maybe a 750ti low profile at best. I decided to put something together to replace it so I can play games other than Dota2 lol.

$99 for the G3258 and the Z97 MSI PC Mate mobo, are you fcking kidding me?!?! That is like paying me 10-20 dollars on top of giving me the unlocked Pentium for free with purchase of that mobo. In the cart you go.

I stood there looking at the processors and thought hmmm, but what if I don't want to game on the couch and want to have a proper desk PC gaming experience? fx8320 and the Asus M5A99FX pro 2.0 for just over $200, yes please! In the cart you go.

Windforce cooler r9 270 for $165?!, cart.

1TB WD blue 7200rpm for $49, sure.

Crucial M500 256GB for $115, yep.

2x8 GB Crucial 1600mhz cl9 for $129, ok.

Okay so you guys get the picture. What I ended up leaving with is everything I need to build one of the systems and most of the 2nd, but I got home and have found myself unsure about how to approach this.

I currently do not have a decent "monitor", I use Panasonic 50" 16:9 1080p 600hz (really 60hz) TV. I honestly love this thing, contrast is fantastic and black is actually black...I can't stand glow from back lights and plasmas kick ass in that regard.

So, do I build the HTPC with the 8320 or the G3258? Obviously the AMD chip draws 3-4 times the power compared to the Pentium so cooling will be a bit louder I figure. Do I hold up on the new HTPC and dedicate this rig to a desktop setup? 

I guess I am looking for some suggestions. I have two wildly different chips and not sure what I should so here.

One thing I would like to do is compare game benchmarks on the Pentium with stuff running in the background. I know it kicks ass in lightly threaded games like any haswell, but reviewers obviously never test games with AV, browsers open, teamspeak, etc. I am curious if this little 2c/2t chip can handle real world scenarios without being overrun.

I will start a proper thread in the build log section when i get going, but wanted to hear some of your thoughts before I make a decision and dive in. I've never built a PC, I'm super stoked!

Sorry for the wall-o-text, thanks for reading.

Keep the HTPC as an HTPC and use the parts you bought for a new desktop.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So you spent money for two systems instead of putting it all towards one? Nice. :P

HTPC = G3258 no doubt

or just build yourself a proper gaming pc :P

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Keep the HTPC as an HTPC and use the parts you bought for a new desktop.

The current PC under my TV (my only computer other than old XP machines) can't really run any games, it will be replaced either way.

So you spent money for two systems instead of putting it all towards one? Nice. :P

I actually went in there to buy the AMD setup, but how could I leave without the G3258/z97 for $99?!

Put the faster system where you'll spend the most time. Those are words of wisdom that my boss told be.

Yes, I agree 100%. Considering I do not have a "desktop" set up and just do all my computering (i know that's not a word lol) on the couch, maybe I will want to spend more time at a desk if I actually have a rig on it.

Thanks for the insight everybody

HTPC = G3258 no doubt

or just build yourself a proper gaming pc :P

Yeah the Pentium seems ideal for the living room, I am leaning in this direction ATM.

The current PC under my TV (my only computer other than old XP machines) can't really run any games, it will be replaced either way.

I actually went in there to buy the AMD setup, but how could I leave without the G3258/z97 for $99?!

Yes, I agree 100%. Considering I do not have a "desktop" set up and just do all my computering (i know that's not a word lol) on the couch, maybe I will want to spend more time at a desk if I actually have a rig on it.

Thanks for the insight everybody

Lol. Well, if you're happy with what you've bought then that's good! :)