i7 3820 to hot to overclock please help

Hi, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I have a NZXT H440 case, my motherboard is the asus rampage iv gene, I have a i7 3820, and cooling the cpu is a corsair h105. I have replaced the stock fans with 6 noctua nf-f12's 3 in the roof and 3 in the front. I have the h105 in a pull config. My CPU is getting above 80 within 5 min running prime95. This is at 4.6 GHz and it will actually go over 80 at 4.3 after a while. I am not crashing but the lowest I can get the voltage is 1.38 for a 4.6 overclock. I have the fans at 7v because I felt the 12v was to loud. The 140 in the rear is still at 12v. Any ideas?

Do you live in a hot country?

Can you create a diagram showing where the fans are blowing in your case, you can use Microsoft paint for this.

I have a 3820 and its at a higher voltage than this and it is cooler than yours, so something must not be right. have you cleaned the CPU and water-block and reapplied the thermal paste?

It might be your H105. Maybe air bubbles.

Sounds like too high voltages though.

who cares...

It is the air flow I took the top and front covers off and I actually overclocked to 4.750 at 1.45 and kept under 85 and that was still at 7v. I am going to get a fan controller that fits into one of pci holes in the back of the case see if I can run 12v when I need it and 7v the rest of the time. I really was hoping that the noctua's would not be loud but I guess it is just to many fans? It is such a sexy case just can't have everything. Meaning silence, cool, and performance something has to give :(. I have 3 fans in the front blowing in and I took the extra hdd trays out only using 1 in the bottom. I kept the 140 in the rear that was stock and I have 3 fans as exhaust in the roof. I could maybe reverse the airflow but would loose the dust filter and heat up my video cards. I don't live in a hot country actually in Idaho USA. and have the air set at 73f or 23c for everyone else. When I took the covers off the 4.6 overclock dropped below 70c. Thanks for the replies if there is another option I would love to hear them. Thanks!

The fans are not the problem, they should cool your CPU at they voltage you have. Have you tried running the fans at 12v and see what happens?

As you said you could try running the fans as intakes instead they may cool better, or you could have the 140mm as an intake to help with the exhausting roof fans.

Not to be a dick, but if you wanted silence you would have been better with a D14, currently its summer here and I am sill running my fans under 1000RPM with no issues.

As for a fan controller are the Noctua fans PWM? If so get a PWM splitter cable, it will be cheaper and the 12v line for the fans will be from the PSU too so not worries about things going bang.

Hi, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I have a NZXT H440 case, my motherboard is the asus rampage iv gene, I have a i7 3820, and cooling the cpu is a corsair h105. I have replaced the stock fans with 6 noctua nf-f12's 3 in the roof and 3 in the front. I have the h105 in a pull config. My CPU is getting above 80 within 5 min running prime95. This is at 4.6 GHz and it will actually go over 80 at 4.3 after a while. I am not crashing but the lowest I can get the voltage is 1.38 for a 4.6 overclock. I have the fans at 7v because I felt the 12v was to loud. The 140 in the rear is still at 12v. Any ideas?

whats is wrong with 80°? nothing. during synthetic benchmarks, you are stressing the

CPU more so than what normal real work applications will. 80° under synthetics is 60°

with normal usage.

as mentioned before, do the temperatures come down with 12v fans on the H105?

if so, then you have no problem. if not, then what are the temps with the side panel off?

The fans are not the problem, they should cool your CPU at they voltage you have. Have you tried running the fans at 12v and see what happens?

As you said you could try running the fans as intakes instead they may cool better, or you could have the 140mm as an intake to help with the exhausting roof fans.

Not to be a dick, but if you wanted silence you would have been better with a D14, currently its summer here and I am sill running my fans under 1000RPM with no issues.

As for a fan controller are the Noctua fans PWM? If so get a PWM splitter cable, it will be cheaper and the 12v line for the fans will be from the PSU too so not worries about things going bang.

so you are running a 3820 @ 1.38vCore, too? because the OP is running F12 at 7v is

800-900rpm with a stronger fan. not to be a dick myself, but the D14 is a fabulous HSF

but leaving 12° on 1.4v LGA2011 overclock is not compatible to the H105. it really has

a lot to do with cooling performance as well as noise tolerance. i might have used a

different fan than the F12, but the H105 is a bit better in this situation.

Well where I live is around 20 degrees Celsius and I am running the CPU at 1.42v with it not going higher than 75 degrees in prime and under 60 degrees in games and other stuff. 

I was saying that the D14 is quiet, but I do agree with you and the H100 like CLCs are better for cooling capacity at higher RPMs (not too much higher when you look at it). To be honest if OP is gaming and such and he has the fans on PWM with a splitter then H105 is likely to stay quiet anyway. Personally I would rather OP stuck with the H105 instead of the hassle of switching.

OP: I also forgot to say have to tried push/pull it can be better for running fans at a lower speed.

I feel that going over 80 within 5 min. is to fast. I absolutely agree with you that 80 is ok. But over maybe 2-5 hours would be more acceptable. I haven't tried to take the side panel off as I was pretty satisified with the top and front panels off. The benchmark is an unrealistic real world test but I think that is the point. If you test worst case scenario and be within your personal comfort zone as far as temps. That is the point. I think the PWM fans that I bought were not necessary but not wrong by any means. I wanted static pressure and that is what I got. I was going to use splitters and put them on the fan pins but I think it looks a bit messy and I wanted clean as possible. That is why I have gone the way I have with the fans. Besides is more options really that bad? I have used a direct line from the PSU to the splitter in the back that comes with the case and just lowered the voltage from there. To answer the question about running the fans at 12v. Yes I have they still heat up but not as fast maybe 15-20 min. to 80 that is a big improvement but still kinda fast in my opinion. We all love tinkering and playing with settings and seeing what is possible. That is what I am doing. I love that you all have different views and perspectives and possible solutions. That is the strength of our community. I am not getting offended by your different perspectives as I hope you do not to mine. I want the different options and possibilities. Keep 'em coming as far as I am concerned. I am also seriously considering going up to a 4930k. Do I need the extra cores? Not really but I think I have learned alot and could get back into some old hobbies that could use the extra cores. I am concerned if I am running hot at 4.6 with a 4 core that a 6 core would get really hot. I have a x79 board and really not using it to it's potential or am I way off? 

voltage is voltage from CPU to CPU. some handle the increased voltage different

ways. i'd be possible to get a worse scenario than what you have on SB-I.

are you running a 4-pin or 8-pin EPS power to the mobo?

are you having the same issues when all F5 optimised?

8 pin. I am not familiar with what you mean F5 optimized. I Googled it real fast and all I saw was network optimization. I agree there is always something worse out there or more stressful. Maybe it is like the cheese in a mousetrap. The mouse knows it is a trap but still goes for the cheese can't help themselves. Truth is you are right I can probably run 4.6 on my processor and never run into a heating issue unless some crazy things happen. I just am trying to tap the knowledge base. I am not trying to upset you at all sorry if I am. This is my first build and I have had it for over 2 years. I have made plenty of mistakes along the way and learned a lot some the hard way. I am now upgrading or getting ready to and pushing limits. And as frustrating as it can be I truly enjoy it at the same time. I still have a ton to learn.

I'm trying rack my head from when I had my 3820 OCd but I can't remember. 1.38v does seem high. I believe my 3820/could do 4.5 on stock volts by maxing the multiplier. To get a higher OC I had to drop it to 44 and slowly raise bclock.

F5 Optimized Defaults is going into the UEFI and resetting (F5) the motherboard

back to stock after you save your overclock profile.

ok, yeah I have profiles one for stock, one for 4.3, one for 4.6 and one for 4.75 in the asus uefi. Although I have to change auto to either XMP or manual or it will not boot. I just keep it at manual and kind of followed ASUS's guide to how to overclock the x79 chipset. It is on YouTube. I didn't follow exactly but alot.

the 3820 is not fully unlocked just semi to 4.3 you have to basically change the strap to 125.