lightning hit near my building, computer turned off and won't start, need miracle workers/help!

SuicidalPony

Hi Y'all!

So lightning hit around my building today, and when it hit, my computer suddenly turned off. When I tried to turn on my computer, the power button did nothing and the computer won't turn on. However, there is still light on the mobo. I took out the CMOS battery and placed it back in, and now my computer is actually able to run temporarily (sort of). When I press the power button, It runs for about 4-5 seconds, and then shuts down, and then runs again (w/o me pressing anything!), and then shuts down, and the pattern repeats. Also wanna point out that when it is able to run, the cpu fan and mobo fan run, with light on the mobo and cpu case. At this point I'm thinking about replacing the power supply with a new one from microcenter. Any other suggestions/leads on what might have happened and what I need to do? Thanks!

sadly it might mean the mobo was fried when the lightning struck 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I wish I could help, but all the symptoms you listed conclude to this. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Basic Troubleshooting 101

1) It's always the PSU's fault, until proven otherwise

2) The PSU is still a suspect even if nothing else is working

You need to buy a surge protector, I happen to have 2 UPS'. Or as per Linus' new laptop cooler ad for Cooler Master:

Preve_zpsa5ee98b6.jpg

(Credit to @techswede from the Post Linus Memes Here Thread)

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

does it mean the motherboard is fried even if it has some light on the motherboard? (light on the manual power on the motherboard?) 1st custom build pc so not sure on these things!

ITS THOR!!! HE HATES PC"S!!! HIDE THEM WHY YOU STILL CAN!!! OR BUY A SURGE PROTECTOR!!!

DAMMIT THOR!!!

You need to buy a surge protector, I happen to have 2 UPS'. Or as per Linus' new laptop cooler ad for Cooler Master:

Preve_zpsa5ee98b6.jpg

will do once i get this running! also LOLED VERY HARD when i watched this!

Basic Troubleshooting 101

1) It's always the PSU's fault, until proven otherwise

2) The PSU is still a suspect even if nothing else is working

thanks, will try the motherboard replacement next if the psu replacement doesnt work!

does it mean the motherboard is fried even if it has some light on the motherboard? (light on the manual power on the motherboard?) 1st custom build pc so not sure on these things!

a mobo should allow you to post or let you go into BIOS

if it doesn't and basically restart within 4 secs and goes into the boot loop

it is good as dead even there is power to the mobo 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

DAMMIT THOR!!!

Stupid wanna be super heroe! Batman would not have done that ;)

Its all looks these days

Gotta love batman

Its all looks these days

Stupid wanna be super heroe! Batman would not have done that ;)

I will be Iron Man if Thor attacks

I will be Iron Man if Thor attacks

I would be batman and just look at thor in the eyes and say "skrew off, freak...Im batman"

Its all looks these days

I would be batman and just look at thor in the eyes and say "skrew off, freak...Im batman"

Batman will get zapped very badly unless he got anti electricity suit on

Iron man will just absorb the charge and fire back as in the video

Batman will get zapped very badly unless he got anti electricity suit on

Iron man will just absorb the charge and fire back as in the video

Batman will look at the electrity and say back off mother f**ker....... and electricity will turn against thor and kill him......... Go debate this in superhero thread I just made!!!

Its all looks these days

Guys i just want to add something, i let it run its restart cycle and i noticed that every time it turned back on by itself the cpu led would be lighted up! Does this mean my cpu may be fried too?

Guys i just want to add something, i let it run its restart cycle and i noticed that every time it turned back on by itself the cpu led would be lighted up! Does this mean my cpu may be fried too?

lightning can be really destructive and unforgiving

if the mobo was fried, chances are the RAM and CPU or any parts connected to the power point will be a goner

I once have my PC blow in my face because I was on my DSL broadband when the lightning struck. The surge come in from the telephone wire and fried my modem and the PC which was connected to the modem and out to the power point earth

You can test the psu by jumping the green wire on the 24 pin plug to the black wire next to it, the psu fan should spin up.

Test each component on a different PC if you can, that way, you'll see which components are gone, and which are salvagable for the next build you will most likely have to build.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

if the mobo was fried, chances are the RAM and CPU or any parts connected to the power point will be a goner

I once have my PC blow in my face because I was on my DSL broadband when the lightning struck. The surge come in from the telephone wire and fried my modem and the PC which was connected to the modem and out to the power point earth

You can test the psu by jumping the green wire on the 24 pin plug to the black wire next to it, the psu fan should spin up.

Preve_zpsa5ee98b6.jpg

(Credit to @techswede from the Post Linus Memes Here Thread)

I ended up having microcenter check the power supply, and it was actually working! As dragoon suggested, it was indeed a mobo issue (FRIED?), and i also ended up switching my cpu just in case. I had protection plan for these two so they just easily replaced them. Was a chore having to assemble/disassemble stuff, but now my pc is working! Also, upon further inspection, I noticed that there was surge protection on whatever plug I was using. I guess thats why the RAM is still working?!! Thank you all for the help, and DAMN YOU THOR! Praise Linus!

Glad your PC is back up and running, but this reason is why I invested in a UPS. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches