Question about Downsampling

Go to solution Solved by moimoi,

Welcome in short yes for both video and wallpapers.But it wont look as good as on a 4K screen.Also 4K has diminishing returns if you have small screen lets say 20" of 1080p you already have a very high pixel density squeezing 4K wont bring much quality.

In games its different because of edges which become less aliased besides sharper image which has a bigger visual quality increase,also its rendered real time to your screen aspect ration its totally different then playing a video or looking at a 4k image,but the answer is still yes you get the same downsample effect but not as big quality bonus.

Sort of, Down-sampling generally only applies to moving frames and by throwing a tonne of pixels in an area (4K) then forcing them to fit inside a smaller region (1080). 

However in a wallpaper's case, downsampling isn't as effective due to only having captured one frame...and one frame cannot be downsampled as downsampling requires multiple frames scaled.

Game devs make 4k+ textures then downscale (different term, similar sense) the texture into one that can fit inside a 1080p/standard HD environ to make it perform well. (Called:Baking to come people). Look up High-Poly and Low-Poly rendering to give you some further insight.

Also, welcome to the forums :)

Thanks guys for the reply , @Sigmatech & @deviant88 , I now understand why I don't see a lot of difference by changing a 1080p wallpaper to a 4k wallpaper, it now makes sense to me!

Hello everybody, i'm new in this forum and i got something to ask in my mind.

In the past, i saw Linus's video about Downsampling (the one with Slick explaining how to configure your GPU to render at higher resolution), and i think the other video i saw was the ultimate linus media group video tour. In the linus ultimate media group tour i heard him saying about recording video at 4k then downsampling it to 1080p which resulted in increase sharpness in the review videos. 

Now I'm just wondering about the downsampling stuff. I wonder if i have a 4k wallpaper, then i apply it to a 1080p monitor, is it called downsampling ? And do we also benefits in the increase sharpness just like the one in linus video?

Hope to see replies from the forum so i could have better knowledge about the "downsampling stuff".

Thanks in advance :)  !

I need to work hard because I realized my toys are not cheap.

In the past, i saw Linus's video about Downsampling (the one with Slick explaining how to configure your GPU to render at higher resolution), and i think the other video i saw was the ultimate linus media group video tour. In the linus ultimate media group tour i heard him saying about recording video at 4k then downsampling it to 1080p which resulted in increase sharpness in the review videos. 

Now I'm just wondering about the downsampling stuff. I wonder if i have a 4k wallpaper, then i apply it to a 1080p monitor, is it called downsampling ? And do we also benefits in the increase sharpness just like the one in linus video?

Hope to see replies from the forum so i could have better knowledge about the "downsampling stuff".

Sort of, Down-sampling generally only applies to moving frames and by throwing a tonne of pixels in an area (4K) then forcing them to fit inside a smaller region (1080). 

However in a wallpaper's case, downsampling isn't as effective due to only having captured one frame...and one frame cannot be downsampled as downsampling requires multiple frames scaled.

Game devs make 4k+ textures then downscale (different term, similar sense) the texture into one that can fit inside a 1080p/standard HD environ to make it perform well. (Called:Baking to come people). Look up High-Poly and Low-Poly rendering to give you some further insight.

Welcome in short yes for both video and wallpapers.But it wont look as good as on a 4K screen.Also 4K has diminishing returns if you have small screen lets say 20" of 1080p you already have a very high pixel density squeezing 4K wont bring much quality.

In games its different because of edges which become less aliased besides sharper image which has a bigger visual quality increase,also its rendered real time to your screen aspect ration its totally different then playing a video or looking at a 4k image,but the answer is still yes you get the same downsample effect but not as big quality bonus.

Thanks guys for the reply , @Sigmatech & @deviant88 , I now understand why I don't see a lot of difference by changing a 1080p wallpaper to a 4k wallpaper, it now makes sense to me!

I need to work hard because I realized my toys are not cheap.