Windows 8.1 network trouble, faulty IP adress?

AndersT2

Have some problems with a PC that I just put together for a buddy.

It does only have a wired connection.

When I put it together at home, I had no problem.

When we set it up at his place, we use a powerline to get the signal to the PC. (Powerline=Planet Ethernet Bridge 500m, PL-702)

Temporerly we had to put his Asus RT-N66U wirelss router between the powerline. and the PC, before he could place that wireless router at it's correct place. The PC worked as it should with this setup

When he late removed the Asus, and connected the PC directly to the powerline, he got that the IP Adress was wrong, and can't get on the net. We tried to uninstall the networkcard driver, but it didn't seem to help.

Anybody know what fault might be?

The Asus can't be used between the powerline and the PC because they won't get a signal where they need it.

So it was moved from it's original posision, and replaced with a normal giga switch. Everything is after the ISP router.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Powerline kits use the wiring already in place to transmit and receive data. You must understand that not all wall sockets are connected together and therefore the powerline kit will not work from everywhere. They will only work if both pieces (of the powerline kit) are on the same circuit.

Best way to test? try using a working laptop or other computer from where you want your new computer to be. Should the laptop or other computer is also unable to connect to the internet then the powerline kit is at fault.

and more information would be helpful such as what IP address is assigned to the computer?

The powerline works fine. It worked when the wireless router was connected to ut, after, but not when it was removed.

It was connected like this: IPS router -> Gigaswitch -> Powerline -> Asus wireless - > PC (wired)

When the Asus was removed, the problem started.

EDIT: And it's no problem using the powerline on different circuits. There's in a circuit breaker there's noting to stop the signal going through. I'm an electrician, and I have open them up to see how their build up :D

And both powerlines lights up correctly as they're connected, and gives full speed.

Haven't assigned any IP adresses. Normally I let them do it automaticly, never had a problem with that before.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Are you getting an IP like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx? Those are Windows's fallback IPs, when Windows cant't get an IP from the Network. Usually, that means that your card & your drivers are OK, but the Network settings are wrong(Probably DHCP), most likely on the router. (The powerline kit should be "invisible", and not manipulate traffic in any way, so should the switch)

Try to access your ISP's router using another notebook directly, and set it to DHCP, if it isn't.

Problem has been solved.

The IPS have only a modem solution, so we had to put the wireless router back in the front of the line, and everything worked as it should be. But not as we want it to be setup.

All other IPS that I have used, and people I have helped have used, has delivered router solutions.