So I got an Android

ThyFeared

So yeah as the title says I got an android. I've been hearing talking about all these roms and cyanogen. What is all that and should I mod my phone? My phone is and LG Optimus Dynamic II

Wow, that phone looks really bad.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow, that phone looks really bad.

Yeah I'm a broke bum :P

I was hoping you bought a robot.. :( you disappoint

I think I got scammed I was hoping for optimus too :(

So yeah as the title says I got an android. I've been hearing talking about all these roms and cyanogen. What is all that and should I mod my phone? My phone is and LG Optimus Dynamic II

Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/ They have lots of great info on there.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If you can find some stable roms for it on XDA then I say go for it. But if you do not plan on installing anything that does not require root access there really isn't a point unless you just want to customize the UI of the phone. I had my previous Android phone rooted but with my HTC One M8 I haven't really felt the need for it. We shall see if that changes in time though. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

You likely won't get ROMs for that phone. Because ROMs are made by people, there's really only support for the more mainstream phones. With phones like this the best case scenario would probably be a ported ROM from something that doesn't really work well (usually ported ROMs have broken camera, wifi, bluetooth, etc)

"Rawr XD"

Screen: 3.8" 320x480px

CPU: 1 Ghz

Memory: 512MB RAM, 4GB internal storage, 4 GB SD card included

Camera: 3 MP fixed focus, no flash

Sensors; proximity, GPS

Connectivity: 850/1900 Mhz CDMA/EV-DO, WiFi b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 EDR

Battery: removable, 1700 mAh , up to 11 days standby an 8 hours talk time

Dimensions: 4.43 x 2.55 x 0.47 inches

Weight 4.43 oz

This is some ancient stuff.. Feels like I'm back in the Gingerbread era.

I'm not sure if rooting that phone is even a way to go.

Research the main advantages of rooting your device first.

These days, I find rooting unnecessary for normal consumers, unless you want to run stock android and such.

You likely won't get ROMs for that phone. Because ROMs are made by people, there's really only support for the more mainstream phones. With phones like this the best case scenario would probably be a ported ROM from something that doesn't really work well (usually ported ROMs have broken camera, wifi, bluetooth, etc)

Like he said, finding a stable rom would be difficult, and even rooting would be impossible with a device so unheard of. You can always look in to custom home launcers at the play store, but you won't be able to "truly" customize your device. Try the launchers first since some are really nicely made. You can always try to root/flash ROMs, but you'll likely waste your time.

Also, you won't be able to run anything too intensive like dead trigger 2 and such. I'll rather save up and buy a S5 unlocked and get service on prepaid carriers like Ting and quit when the hell you want.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Screen: 3.8" 320x480px

CPU: 1 Ghz

Memory: 512MB RAM, 4GB internal storage, 4 GB SD card included

Camera: 3 MP fixed focus, no flash

Sensors; proximity, GPS

Connectivity: 850/1900 Mhz CDMA/EV-DO, WiFi b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 EDR

Battery: removable, 1700 mAh , up to 11 days standby an 8 hours talk time

Dimensions: 4.43 x 2.55 x 0.47 inches

Weight 4.43 oz

This is some ancient stuff.. Feels like I'm back in the Gingerbread era.

I'm not sure if rooting that phone is even a way to go.

Research the main advantages of rooting your device first.

These days, I find rooting unnecessary for normal consumers, unless you want to run stock android and such.

Like he said, finding a stable rom would be difficult, and even rooting would be impossible with a device so unheard of. You can always look in to custom home launcers at the play store, but you won't be able to "truly" customize your device. Try the launchers first since some are really nicely made. You can always try to root/flash ROMs, but you'll likely waste your time.

Also, you won't be able to run anything too intensive like dead trigger 2 and such. I'll rather save up and buy a S5 unlocked and get service on prepaid carriers like Ting and quit when the hell you want.

Yeah, but as far as rooting there's Kingo Root as the phone runs Android 4.1.

Why in the world would you buy an S5? I wouldn't buy an unlocked S5 even if somebody just handed me the money to. I could get two Nexus 5's instead. 

"Rawr XD"

Yeah, but as far as rooting there's Kingo Root as the phone runs Android 4.1.

Why in the world would you buy an S5? I wouldn't buy an unlocked S5 even if somebody just handed me the money to. I could get two Nexus 5's instead. 

Isn't it apparent I'm a fanboy? :P

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV