Dorm Room Gaming PC

tuberolector

This is a new PC that I am building to take to college (University for those of you not in the US) with me next semester. I wanted this system to be relatively powerful, yet somewhat compact, with room for future expansion.

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k (Have)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (Have)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Have)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 (Red) (Ordered)

SSD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB (Have)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Ordered)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 7950 (Have)

Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D (Ordered)

Power Supply: Corsair CX500

Rational

CPU: Even though I am just going to be using this system for gaming, I went with the i7 over the i5 because I was able to get the i7 for the exact same price as the i5, so I figured it was worth it for a bit of (excuse the words) future proofing.

SSD: I bought this SSD over any other one because it was on sale and was only $100 for 256GB.

Video Card: I bought this card off of a friend for cheap (yes it was used for mining, but it is still under warranty and he will take care of it if the card dies), and I don't need anything better yet. Once the GTX 800 series comes out, I might upgrade.

Case: I really like Obsidian cases, and I wanted something RELATIVELY small, so it was perfect.

Power Supply: It may seem like, in comparison to the rest of the parts in this system, the PSU is kind of low end, and the reason for that is because I purchased it about a month ago for a different system that I ended up not using, so I am going to use this PSU until I need more power. 

I will be posting more pictures once the rest of the parts come in, but for now, here are the CPU, motherboard, and SSD:

post-47936-0-09311700-1404095920_thumb.j

Update 7/3/14:

I finished building the system yesterday, and for the most part, it went together without a hitch.

I did, however, have one issue with the BIOS on motherboard. For some reason, with the voltage on auto, the motherboard set the voltage to 1.397 volts! I was able to manually set it to a reasonable amount, but if I hadn't checked on CPUZ, I would have been in trouble. I'm still not sure what a reasonable voltage for a 4790k is (no overclock), but it's currently running stably at 1.150 volts. I haven't overclocked it yet because the voltage issue scared me a bit, but I probably will soon.

I will try to upload some pictures tomorrow, but since it's the forth, I might have to do it Saturday.

If you have a room mate make sure it's loud as shit and have it on when they are trying to sleep it will be glorious

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

"I was able to get the i7 for the exact same price as the i7"

That usually is the way things go, you can usually buy the same thing for the same price. :P Looks good.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Awesome! That Gigabyte board will look great in your system as well.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

CPU: Intel Core i7-4690k

Mistake: i7-4790k.

because I was able to get the i7 for the exact same price as the i7

Mistake.

Sorry, I had to point them out. ;)

You're going to be barely cutting it on 500 watts. I recommend not trying any overclocking until you get at least 600 watts.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

If you have a room mate make sure it's loud as shit and have it on when they are trying to sleep it will be glorious

and make sure to get super bright LEDs and a Cherry MX Blue or Green Keyboard, or a Model M

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

and make sure to get super bright LEDs and a Cherry MX Blue or Green Keyboard, or a Model M

Perfect and have huge 7.1 surround speakers around the room 

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

"I was able to get the i7 for the exact same price as the i7"

That usually is the way things go, you can usually buy the same thing for the same price. :P Looks good.

I meant to type i5. 

Mistake: i7-4790k.

Mistake.

Sorry, I had to point them out. ;)

You're going to be barely cutting it on 500 watts. I recommend not trying any overclocking until you get at least 600 watts.

I was planning on getting the i5, so I'm in the habit of typing 4690k instead of 4790k. Also, I'm going to try and measure the output from the wall to see how much power I'm using. 

Corrected both mistakes now. 

Good luck! I hope it doesn't get stolen.

Don't worry; I'm going to keep it locked up tight!

Why the i7? Do you do Adobe or Autodesk at school?

No, at least not currently, but I paid the exact same that I would have paid getting the i5, so I went for it. The extra threads may not help in games YET, but they don't hurt, and should help in years to come.

Oh then you got one hell of a deal man :D