Does one NEED a resevoir?

So I just found this alphacool-ut60-05.jpg?w=614&h=394 and now I'm asking myself If one really needs a resevoir or if you could just skip the resevoir with this radiator?

I think a reservoir is used because fluid expands when it's hot and needs somewhere to go.

If it were my loop, I wouldn't risk NOT having a res. Why wouldn't you, anyway? They add a nice accent. 

I think a reservoir is used because fluid expands when it's hot and needs somewhere to go.

1340170503014.png

Nah the change in density is insignificant.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

you don't have to have a reservoir, but it is handy to keep the air separated from the loop.

like the AIO kits, the radiator is mounted high and allows the air to stay trapped in the

radiator. the pump is not too strong as to reintroduce the air back into the loop.

problem with the H220/320 is the reservoir is radiator located, but the pump is too strong

and cavitates, pulling air back into the loop.

Yeah... You need a reservoir because water expands when it gets hotter and takes up less space when it's colder.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yeah... You need a reservoir because water expands when it gets hotter and takes up less space when it's colder.

Not only would it be the other way around... (That's why you don't freeze a liquid in a glass bottle) but as @T.Vengance stated it's not a real factor. 

Reservoirs are cheap, when it come to the context of the entire loops cost, why risk your pump, cpu & possibly your GPU to save a few $

If it were my loop, I wouldn't risk NOT having a res. Why wouldn't you, anyway? They add a nice accent. 

Reservoirs are cheap, when it come to the context of the entire loops cost, why risk your pump, cpu & possibly your GPU to save a few $

It's not a plan for my loop (my loop has been running for a while) but it's a could one do that if one was crazy enough to do it. 

@VirtualNinja

there is no risk at all. running reservoir-less has no risks and some builds have no

room for a bulky cylinder or ODD bay to mount a reservoir. just more attention to

bleeding and making sure the pump has no way to suck air into the loop.

The problem is that it evaporates over time, and if you don't have any extra liquid, it will fudge your system up.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Not only would it be the other way around... (That's why you don't freeze a liquid in a glass bottle) but as @T.Vengance stated it's not a real factor. 

Guess I goofed. :P

But I like to have peace of mind and I kind of think that they make it look a little nicer.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@VirtualNinja

there is no risk at all. running reservoir-less has no risks and some builds have no

room for a bulky cylinder or ODD bay to mount a reservoir. just more attention to

bleeding and making sure the pump has no way to suck air into the loop.

So I could in theory could change my loop order from this

post-62105-0-29457900-1404069924.jpg

to this

post-62105-0-01460300-1404070053.jpg

You dont need a res. If i was to rebuilt my loop in my main desktop I would do it without a res. Instead you can use a T fitting, and fill port. The res just makes it easier to get the bubbles out, but it isnt much harder with just a  T connector and fillport.

As water evaporates through your tubes you need to refill it. I suppose a res would make it a little easier. But the evaporation rate is so low I doubt you would need to refill itmore than once every couple of years.

How is it risking anything?

I dont understand what your point is.

Most houses are at a stable temp all year round. The change in volume between a frozen Litre of water and one at 100c is much less than 50%. You relaly think his computer is going to be in temperature differences this great?

How do closed loop coolers work then?

Theoretically you can run without a reservoir, but you definitely should not.

Why?

Why?

Where's you extra fluid going?

What extra fluid?

How are you going to give your your pump enough water, the tubing doesn't hold enough water to supply your pump. your pump will suck so much water up so quickly that it will run dry almost instantly (well your filling). A res exists not because they look nice but because pumps needs a large amount of water readily available. your tubing just doesn't have enough water to properly supply your pump.

It's not a plan for my loop (my loop has been running for a while) but it's a could one do that if one was crazy enough to do it. 

It's possible, but I'm just overly paranoid about such things.

So I could in theory could change my loop order.

you missed the pump..

but yes, using the alphacool, phobya or coolgate with end tank bungs to serve a fill

ports and bleeds can facilitate a non-reservoir loop. my next is to eliminate the res

completely and use the top rad tank bung as a fill/bleed port.

the most important is to make sure the direct line to the pump feed port has no

chance of air at all. 

How are you going to give your your pump enough water, the tubing doesn't hold enough water to supply your pump. your pump will suck so much water up so quickly that it will run dry almost instantly (well your filling). A res exists not because they look nice but because pumps needs a large amount of water readily available. your tubing just doesn't have enough water to properly supply your pump.

Utter nonsense.

If it is a closed loop, and has no air bubbles then there is enough water.

Water doesnt compress. it will boil and evaporate when you exert enough pressure on it. This obviously wouldnt happen inside a watercooling loop as the pressures are so small.

If OP didnt use a res then the water will just push water into the pump as it is pushed outside of the other side of the pump.

If what you are saying is correct, how do closed loop coolers work?

you missed the pump..

but yes, using the alphacool, phobya or coolgate with end tank bungs to serve a fill

ports and bleeds can facilitate a non-reservoir loop. my next is to eliminate the res

completely and use the top rad tank bung as a fill/bleed port.

the most important is to make sure the direct line to the pump feed port has no

chance of air at all. 

Nah the pump would be mounted to this panel thingy. (That how I would make that 90 degree angle work.) All then thanks for your help. Once I'm upgrading my stuff again (when the GTX1000 Series hits) I'll look into doing that. Also another question how terrible would the vibration be if I mount the MCP 655 to that sidepanel thing? 

Also another question how terrible would the vibration be if I mount the MCP 655 to that sidepanel thing?

the chassis/HDD support isn't really thick and would amplify the noise. add some foam

to the displayed side and sandwich it with sheet metal to "thicken" the dampening effects.

Nah the pump would be mounted to this panel thingy.