Unity or Cocos2d-X

RexLee

I wanted to learn to make a game in the summer (phone). And I have been searching and these are two that seems best to me. Right now I only know c++. So choosing unity would mean learning c# or javascript. But cocos2d-x is pure code. Would it be slower to make a game in cocos2d-x? And there doesn't seem like there a lot of books for cocos2d-x. But there are a lot of books for unity. So which should I choose?

-nom-

http://www.sfml-dev.org/

It's also code-based, and it's C++, I had to make a project for uni with it, it's OK once you learn its basics, but I was developing for windows so I don't know how to set it up for other platforms.

Guy, don't even think about it.  

Go Unity way.

With the support and multiplatform of Unity you cannot get wrong, also, C# is not that hard one you know any high level language. and javascript is really noobish like language to code in.

It's syntax is really great for newbies in coding in unity, and its still is efficient since its run through unity's compiler, and you can alway code in javascript, and more complex stuff where you think you need complex language, you can just separatly code networking , AI  in C#   and camera controlers , movements, and collision blah blah blah in javascript.

Don't you need Unity pro for phone development? Or is that only to release something?

If you do need the pro version, the free option is usually better for learning, at least to start with.

Thanks, I choose unity in the end.

Don't you need Unity pro for phone development? Or is that only to release something?

If you do need the pro version, the free option is usually better for learning, at least to start with.

Nope, i think something not full year ago they announced Unity for Indie developers, where you just register and have it for free.

Of course you are mising the Pro feautres like dynamic batching , some light options, Profiler and so on (of course there is a plenty of things)  ,

But basically you are getting the standard license as it was for PC but for i think All platforms(i might be wrong through since i use only Android, WEB, and OSX,LINUX,PC platform).