Direct connection for LAN play?

orangecat

Why do you not just buy a GigE router/switch? Seems easier, don't have to buy special tools etc...

You can, but is not recommended. It's easier to use a network switch then you can also have internet access as well.

Why does everyone think you need a crossover cable?! I've been doing this for years with a standard ethernet cat5 cable without a switch.

connect them to the NICs on both computers, make sure that the network settings are correct (make sure they're in the same subnet, and have allocated both computers a static IP address) and voila, you should be able to connect and have a lan for minecraft.

#!

Why does everyone think you need a crossover cable?! I've been doing this for years with a standard ethernet cat5 cable without a switch.

connect them to the NICs on both computers, make sure that the network settings are correct (make sure they're in the same subnet, and have allocated both computers a static IP address) and voila, you should be able to connect and have a lan for minecraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

"An Ethernet crossover cable is a type of Ethernet cable used to connect computing devices together directly. Normal straight through or patch cables were used to connect from a host network interface controller (a computer or similar device) to a network switch, hub or router"

It is standard practice to use a crossover cable when connecting two like devices, but depending on the auto mdix features of the devices that you're using, you may not need one. It is better to recommend the crossover cable because it will work in all cases.

I think a better piece of advice would be to find out which nic he is running and if it has auto mdix, which all modern motherboards have embedded. I don't even know anywhere that sells cross over cables anymore, well in NZ anyway.

#!

In my opinion, the amount of time and effort spent researching a feature that is usually not advertised (and with varying terminology when it is) on two unknown machines with unknown hardware configurations would be more trouble than it is worth. When you have a solution that will work in all cases (a crossover cable), I'm not sure how much more effort you really need to put into the problem. However, you are of course free to assist the OP with hardware research if that is what you would like to do.

I would suggest a crossover adapter as it would prove more useful in the long run as you could slap it on any length cable and not be limited to the cross-over cable's length.

But my stronger suggestion would be to invest in a switch as it would solve the current problem and be very useful in a plethora of other networking situation you might run into later.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D