Best Graphics Card for Single Monitor 1080p gaming?

TheUNCONN3CT3D
Go to solution Solved by TheUNCONN3CT3D,

Well thank you everyone for the replies. I've decided on the 2GB GTX 770.

I'm building my first computer and I've been stuck on picking the Radeon R9 270X, 280X, Geforce GTX 760 or the GTX 770. I plan on only gaming with one 1080p monitor with a second for OBS or a Twitch stream. I would like to keep that GPU for 3+ years and have it to be able to run new games at max settings for long enough that I would not have to replace the GPU (SLI or Crossfire would not be an option for me although my PSU would allow for it because drivers are normally pretty bad with the two especially with AMD.) 2GB of VRAM would not be enough anymore as Watch_Dogs and BF3/4/Hardline all use more than 2GB. However, I've also heard things about bus widths and how they aren't able to use all that VRAM. I would like your guys knowledge about GPUs that would help me make the best decisions. I also would be a user of ShadowPlay if I went with a Nvidia card however I know OBS would be fine with AMD. If you have any other GPU recommendations go ahead and link them as well. They must have a black PCB. I also like backplates. As for EVGA GPUs I will buy the backplate. Also 4GB 760s are a waste because the 760 simply isn't powerful enough to utilize the VRAM according to all my research.

Here are my choices of 270X - 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127775
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150704

Here are my choices of 280X - 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150690
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127786

Here is my choice of 760 - 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130953

Here are my choices of 770 - 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130946
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945

Your help is very appreciated!
Here's my PCPartPicker - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nk3Qf7

Get an R9 280.  Great Price/Performace and can overclock well enough to compete with cards above its price bracket.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

280X's are not as much more expensive so I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them.

280X's are not as much more expensive so I wouldn't mind paying a little more for them.

Please quote so people can get back to you quicker. 

I'd go with a R9 280, its a re-branded 7950 for $200-$250, it does really well for 1080P and 1440P gaming  due to its 3GB frame buffer.

Also, saying that 2GB isn't enough for 1080P is not true, I have a friend that runs 3x1080P in BF4 and BF3 with a 7870GHz with 2GB's of Vram. At single 1080P 2GB's is enough for most any game. Watch dogs can't be used in this situation because it is a really bad game on Vram, not due to high textures but because you need a damn GTX Titan to run it well. lol

Please quote so people can get back to you quicker. 

I'd go with a R9 280, its a re-branded 7950 for $200-$250, it does really well for 1080P and 1440P gaming  due to its 3GB frame buffer.

Alright 91wow, I don't really post much on forums so I'm still getting used to this. I also like PhysX and all the Nvidia optimizations because I don't really care for Mantle.

760 or a 280

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Alright 91wow, I don't really post much on forums so I'm still getting used to this. I also like PhysX and all the Nvidia optimizations because I don't really care for Mantle.

Physx doesn't really do much as most games don't use it. The Nvidia optimization (i'm thinking that DX11 patch they did) isn't all that amazing either since for the price the 280 is going against a 760. Even with the optimization, without mantle the 280 beats the 760 in FPS and can actually use it's 3GB frame buffer. 

Go with R9 280, for 1080p you don't need any more really. In 1080p you're ok with 2GB, Watch Dogs is a bad port, but the 280 has 3GB of VRAM, so you're in a "safe zone". There's not such thing as future proof, and I don't know if even a 780 Ti will max all the games in the next 3 years, games will improve and in that 3 years period you will have to lower some visual effects to achieve nice framerates. Anyways, the R9 280 it's your best bet.

TBH I would buy a CHEAP R9 280X from a miner on a fire sale. So long as the card is from ASUS or MSI and has some remaining warranty I would go that route (ASUS and MSI honor warranty based off of the serial on the card. Proof of purchase/original invoice is not needed for a warranty claim).

Cheap, powerful, 3GB Vram and CHEAP.

Go with R9 280, for 1080p you don't need any more really. In 1080p you're ok with 2GB, Watch Dogs is a bad port, but the 280 has 3GB of VRAM, so you're in a "safe zone". There's not such thing as future proof, and I don't know if even a 780 Ti will max all the games in the next 3 years, games will improve and in that 3 years period you will have to lower some visual effects to achieve nice framerates. Anyways, the R9 280 it's your best bet.

I kinda want to go Nvidia just to get Watch_Dogs too since I really haven't been able to buy any games this year.

How does Nvenc (or however its spelled) compare to x264 in OBS?

If you are using an intel CPU use quick sync for encoding while live streaming, it might not look amazing like a good x264 dedicated streaming card but is good enough and not very resource intensive. 

TBH I would buy a CHEAP R9 280X from a miner on a fire sale. So long as the card is from ASUS or MSI and has some remaining warranty I would go that route (ASUS and MSI honor warranty based off of the serial on the card. Proof of purchase/original invoice is not needed for a warranty claim).

Cheap, powerful, 3GB Vram and CHEAP.

+1 on this. My local craigslist has R9 280x's DCUII top cards for $220... If only I had money

r9 270 or 750 Ti on the cheap, r9 280 for if you have money

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

That's ok then, you also get Nvidia features like Shadowplay, looks like you want to record your gameplays so this technology will help you. Don't worry, I made the same choice, I bought the 760, it was cheaper than the 280 and I got Watch Dogs for free (AMD doesn't give any bundle in my country). Now you're stuck between the 760 and the 770, the 770 is clearly better, but it's also more expensive.

That's ok then, you also get Nvidia features like Shadowplay, looks like you want to record your gameplays so this technology will help you. Don't worry, I made the same choice, I bought the 760, it was cheaper than the 280 and I got Watch Dogs for free (AMD doesn't give any bundle in my country). Now you're stuck between the 760 and the 770, the 770 is clearly better, but it's also more expensive.

I personally don't think that someone should make the choice based around shadowplay as it is still very limited, and for livestreaming OBS is still much better, especially with an intel CPU, due to quick sync. 

I kinda want to go Nvidia just to get Watch_Dogs too since I really haven't been able to buy any games this year.

well tbh if u want nvidia then dont bring up amd and if u want to play watchdogs on a 770 on medium to high good luck so if your gpu choice just depends on one game thats a bad decision
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

I personally don't think that someone should make the choice based around shadowplay as it is still very limited, and for livestreaming OBS is still much better, especially with an intel CPU, due to quick sync.

I agree with you, but the OP wants to go with Nvidia, he gets some extra features for going that way. Nobody should buy a GPU just for Shadowplay, and yes, there's better options, but at least he gets Shadowplay in case he needs it, better than nothing right?

I agree with you, but the OP wants to go with Nvidia, he gets some extra features for going that way. Nobody should buy a GPU just for Shadowplay, and yes, there's better options, but at least he gets Shadowplay in case he needs it, better than nothing right?

Also, the games that AMD offer don't interest me too much.

Also, the games that AMD offer don't interest me too much.

what do you mean games that amd offer ?
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

what do you mean games that amd offer ?

They're Never Settle deal thing. Now that I look at it a 280X can get me Tomb Raider, Thief, and Dirt 3 or some other games. WHY IS THIS SO HARD!

They're Never Settle deal thing. Now that I look at it a 280X can get me Tomb Raider, Thief, and Dirt 3 or some other games. WHY IS THIS SO HARD!

ya imo get the r9 280x cause you will have the 3gb vram and the 280x performs close to the same or better then the 770 and then you can oc above that and once you oc the 280x will really perform, but thats my knowledge for gaming i may be wrong on some things but im planning my first build also and i love nvidia but im most likely going for the 280x myself
Spoiler

and a car thread !