Water cooling wiring question

So I'm making a water cooling loop and I've got everything figured out but the wiring. I've got 6 cougar 120PWM fans to mount onto my 360mm rad in push pull. What do you all suggest for connecting all the fans? All to a fan controller? (I have an NZXT Sentry 2) Or hook them all up to the CPU fan header? OR what else?

I was thinking of using 2 channels on my fan controller and connecting the three "push" fans to one channel, and the three "pull" fans to the other.

Let me know if you need any extra info, I'll be watching for comments!

Not experienced with water cooling, but putting the push and pull fans on different channels sounds like it would work, and should work well for trying to lower overall fan noise at different computer loads.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Don't plug all those fans into one header it may burn out the header. The NZXT fan controller looks like it can only control 4 fans so get some splitters so that 3 channels controller control 6 fans and then you can have a unused channel for something else. Or you can plug that in another way. The other way of doing this is to use something like this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20988/ele-1196/Swiftech_8-Way_PWM_Cable_Splitter_-_SATA_Power_8W-PWM-SPL-ST.html

and then you can have all your can at one speed. I suggest 7 volts for silence. You can't control the fans but with a 360 rad you don't need to worry about overheating and if one fan fails you stills have 5 more.

Don't plug all those fans into one header it may burn out the header. The NZXT fan controller looks like it can only control 4 fans so get some splitters so that 3 channels controller control 6 fans and then you can have a unused channel for something else. Or you can plug that in another way. The other way of doing this is to use something like this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20988/ele-1196/Swiftech_8-Way_PWM_Cable_Splitter_-_SATA_Power_8W-PWM-SPL-ST.html

and then you can have all your can at one speed. I suggest 7 volts for silence. You can't control the fans but with a 360 rad you don't need to worry about overheating and if one fan fails you stills have 5 more.

This is the fan controller, it had 5 channels, I am currently using 3 of them. But with this slitter you linked me, can I control the speed?

@retrop

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

if you are going to use the fan controller, use 3-pin fans. 4-pin PWM fans were not

meant to be voltage controlled and can adversely affect the lifespan of the fan or

the performance of the fan (noises, grinding, or clicks).

either use the PWM function with the motherboard or use 3-pin fans with the fan

controller for 3-pin fans.

This is the fan controller, it had 5 channels, I am currently using 3 of them. But with this slitter you linked me, can I control the speed?

if you change the voltage going into the splitter by modding molex connectors to have a 7 volts in.

@retrop

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

if you are going to use the fan controller, use 3-pin fans. 4-pin PWM fans were not

meant to be voltage controlled and can adversely affect the lifespan of the fan or

the performance of the fan (noises, grinding, or clicks).

either use the PWM function with the motherboard or use 3-pin fans with the fan

controller for 3-pin fans.

@airdeano

Thank you for the welcoming! What fans would you suggest? The radiator came with 3 XSPC fans marked "1650" I'm assuming that RPM.

@retrop

use those (yes, 1650rpm), they are pretty good for temps. you can be the judge on

noise tolerance. no since in blowing more money until you really know what you are

after or want.

Also, the fans came with this 4pin to 4pin molex, and the fan controller hookups for them, but it only uses 2 wires, as the pictures show, so would it still be bad? I mean, my H100 changes the speed of them?AT8D5Jk.jpgEZUkb2t.jpg