Maximum Voltage on Video Cards

Hi Forum,

for about 2 Months I'm owning a new gaming rig and since I didn't really have time to ocerclock the system properly, I just started with it now.

After overclocking my processor (3770K) just slightly to 3,9 GHz I'm now approaching my graphics card (Gigabyte GTX 660ti with 3GB VRAM).

While doing it I began to think about the maximum voltage you could propably apply to a graphics card. In my thought you encounter two general problems:

1. More power consumption and due to this more heat generation.

2. Electronical damage to the silicon parts, since semiconductors should burn out at a certain voltage. (depletetion range can collapse, if to much voltage is applied to the device)

The first problem can be solved by just do better cooling (higher fan speed, better fans etc.) and shouldn't be a big problem in reasonable extends of overclocking.

The second problem can in my opinion be a severe problem: My question to the forum is, if anyone knows kind of a "critical value" after which the semiconductors begin to be damaged.

I would like to get the max out of my graphics Card (temperatures aren't a problem at the moment; just over 60°), but I don't want to set the voltage to high and thereby kill my card.

System and Overclocking Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Processor: Intel i7-3770K (OC to 3,9 GHz at 1,15V)

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB not OC)

VGA: Gigabyte Geforce GTX660ti 3GB (OC to 1150/1228 MHz (+118MHz) at 1,000V (+0,012V)

Hoping for help and a good discussion,

Hyrikan

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Well first you can slowly test voltage don't kill it reach max oc on base voltage then bump it up by like 0.025 it takes a while but that's how i do it.

PRIMARY NVIDIA PC

("I'm a Fanboy of Everything")
| CPU - i5-4670K @ 4.8ghz | CPU Cooler - Antec Kühler H2O 620 | GPU(S) - BIOS MODDED Twin GTX 770 4gb (Gigabyte)-master (Zotac)-slave @ 1337/2000 (8000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Ram - 8gb Gskill RipjawsX @ 1866Mhz | Monitor - Samsung 27" 550 1080p 75Hz | Keyboard - Razer Black-Widow Ultimate 2013 | Storage - 2x 1TB WD-Blacks' | Mouse - AzzA Mouse Would Say "SQUEEKSQUEEK"|

SECONDARY RADEON PC

| CPU - A10-6800K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler - CM Hyper EVO 212 | GPU(S) Twin Radeon 270x 2gb @ 1115/1500 (6000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 | PSU - Logisys 750W | Ram - 8gb @ 1600mhz | Moniter - Acer 24'' 1080p 60Hz

@AMD_Nemesis: I generally know how to overclock a GPU, did I couple of times. It's more the general approach to this problem. In my theory there has to be kind of a general maximum voltage, since all GPUs are based on the same principles.

A massive amount of transistors, which should have a similar brakethrough voltage. So you should be able to set a value to which you can overclock without your card taking damage. This value would be, what I'm interested in.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Most of the time the manufacturer just bios locks the voltage. There are many kepler bios tweaking utilities that can change the maximum voltage. That's if the manufacturer doesn't hardware lock the voltage, in that case, there are hardware mods for those crazy individuals.

For an example, my "OC ready" GTX 670 Power Edition had a max voltage of 1.15V. I edited the bios (really easy), flashed it, and I can raise it to 1.21 volts, which is the maximum for the voltage regulator if I'm not mistaken.

To the OP, modern nVidia cards won't allow you to 'kill' your card with voltage. They have limits set, so just keep an eye on your temperatures. For AMD cards, I put my old 7950 to 1.3 volts, and it ran just fine. It heated up pretty fast, but not to the point of failure.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 @ 3.9gHz

GPU: MSI GTX 670 PE @ 1411/7387

I wanna go fast! :P

Most of the time the manufacturer just bios locks the voltage. There are many kepler bios tweaking utilities that can change the maximum voltage. That's if the manufacturer doesn't hardware lock the voltage, in that case, there are hardware mods for those crazy individuals.

For an example, my "OC ready" GTX 670 Power Edition had a max voltage of 1.15V. I edited the bios (really easy), flashed it, and I can raise it to 1.21 volts, which is the maximum for the voltage regulator if I'm not mistaken.

To the OP, modern nVidia cards won't allow you to 'kill' your card with voltage. They have limits set, so just keep an eye on your temperatures. For AMD cards, I put my old 7950 to 1.3 volts, and it ran just fine. It heated up pretty fast, but not to the point of failure.

"The Green Light program requires vendors to send in their board designs to NVIDIA, where they wait for their approval from the GPU maker. NVIDIA will check that the design meets their noise, power, voltage and heat numbers - and if it meets them, the card is approved. If not, it is declined and they'll have to resubmit."

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26082/nvidia_s_green_light_program_are_we_seeing_the_beginning_of_the_end_of_overclocking_gpus/index.html

I am sure there is a reason to why nvidia would neuter there own cards before approving them for sale. I would not mess with it there was a reason why nvidia don't want people to tamper with their design. If you want to OC get "Graphics by AMD Radeon HD" just imo.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

G.Freeman, on 18 May 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

"The Green Light program requires vendors to send in their board designs to NVIDIA, where they wait for their approval from the GPU maker. NVIDIA will check that the design meets their noise, power, voltage and heat numbers - and if it meets them, the card is approved. If not, it is declined and they'll have to resubmit."

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26082/nvidia_s_green_light_program_are_we_seeing_the_beginning_of_the_end_of_overclocking_gpus/index.html

I am sure there is a reason to why nvidia would neuter there own cards before approving them for sale. I would not mess with it there was a reason why nvidia don't want people to tamper with their design. If you want to OC get "Graphics by AMD Radeon HD" just imo.

I agree with that. I'm stuck with my 670, I wish I got a 7970. Anyways, maybe what you said was true with most aftermarket cards. My MSI card was voltage locked to 1.15 from the BIOS. So MSI probably snuck an overvolting card to the market, then nVidia brought the banhammer and told them to drop the voltage down. Easiest way to do that is by software. No changing of the PCB components required..

Lots of people reported dead cards from overvolting, so it seems that Kepler is a little sensitive. Although, I don't see 1.21 volts as being harmful to a graphics core. My temperatures don't exceed 70C, and that's with the fan only reaching 55%.

Hi Forum,

for about 2 Months I'm owning a new gaming rig and since I didn't really have time to ocerclock the system properly, I just started with it now.

After overclocking my processor (3770K) just slightly to 3,9 GHz I'm now approaching my graphics card (Gigabyte GTX 660ti with 3GB VRAM).

While doing it I began to think about the maximum voltage you could propably apply to a graphics card. In my thought you encounter two general problems:

1. More power consumption and due to this more heat generation.

2. Electronical damage to the silicon parts, since semiconductors should burn out at a certain voltage. (depletetion range can collapse, if to much voltage is applied to the device)

The first problem can be solved by just do better cooling (higher fan speed, better fans etc.) and shouldn't be a big problem in reasonable extends of overclocking.

The second problem can in my opinion be a severe problem: My question to the forum is, if anyone knows kind of a "critical value" after which the semiconductors begin to be damaged.

I would like to get the max out of my graphics Card (temperatures aren't a problem at the moment; just over 60°), but I don't want to set the voltage to high and thereby kill my card.

System and Overclocking Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Processor: Intel i7-3770K (OC to 3,9 GHz at 1,3V)

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB not OC)

VGA: Gigabyte Geforce GTX660ti 3GB (OC to 1150/1228 MHz (+118MHz) at 1,000V (+0,012V)

Hoping for help and a good discussion,

Hyrikan

Your CPU overclock seems a little off though. My sandy bridge processor does 3.9gHz with 1.12 volts. You have an ivy bridge, and it really should be capable of 4.4ish gHz at around 1.2 volts. Your voltage is too high for the current overclock.

I agree with that. I'm stuck with my 670, I wish I got a 7970. Anyways, maybe what you said was true with most aftermarket cards. My MSI card was voltage locked to 1.15 from the BIOS. So MSI probably snuck an overvolting card to the market, then nVidia brought the banhammer and told them to drop the voltage down. Easiest way to do that is by software. No changing of the PCB components required..

Lots of people reported dead cards from overvolting, so it seems that Kepler is a little sensitive. Although, I don't see 1.21 volts as being harmful to a graphics core. My temperatures don't exceed 70C, and that's with the fan only reaching 55%.

Instead of nvidia mentioning that their cards are not very robust they use there marketing muscle and call it "Green Light" LOL. I think allot of people would actually say that Green Light is a good thing. IMO Green Light is a cop out mechanism for nvidia to cover up the fact that they perhaps should have developed the design a little bit more before bringing Kepler to market. Fermi never had quality control issues and those cards are beast. If Kepler is truly better than Fermi than they should be at leased as durable imo.

Instead of nvidia mentioning that their cards are not very robust they use there marketing muscle and call it "Green Light" LOL. I think allot of people would actually say that Green Light is a good thing. IMO Green Light is a cop out mechanism for nvidia to cover up the fact that they perhaps should have developed the design a little bit more before bringing Kepler to market. Fermi never had quality control issues and those cards are beast. If Kepler is truly better than Fermi than they should be at leased as durable imo.

Yeah I agree. The boost overclock is the most annoying thing in the world IMO. My core clock ranges all the way from 1100mHz to 1380mHz. I like stability. KEEP MY OVERCLOCK WHERE I WANT IT. I'm seriously considering selling my 670 and buying a 7970, or saving up for the next gen AMD cards.

Yeah I agree. The boost overclock is the most annoying thing in the world IMO. My core clock ranges all the way from 1100mHz to 1380mHz. I like stability. KEEP MY OVERCLOCK WHERE I WANT IT. I'm seriously considering selling my 670 and buying a 7970, or saving up for the next gen AMD cards.

If you take Vsync off does the "Boost" make the frame rates fluctuate noticeably when the clocks go up and down ?

If you take Vsync off does the "Boost" make the frame rates fluctuate noticeably when the clocks go up and down ?

Sitting at the main menu of Metro Last Light (using 99% of the GPU), the framerate was jumping between 47 and 58. V-sync was off. The clock speed was between 1150 and 1300.

Sitting at the main menu of Metro Last Light (using 99% of the GPU), the framerate was jumping between 47 and 58. V-sync was off. The clock speed was between 1150 and 1300.

Well in game is what would matter. Boost is absolutely ridiculous if it makes the frames rates fluctuate more than they should and that's broken even I would say. 

Well in game is what would matter. Boost is absolutely ridiculous if it makes the frames rates fluctuate more than they should and that's broken even I would say. 

The main menu uses full graphics power, like in game. It really is broken though, I'm seeing if there are ways I can mod the bios to get rid of GPU boost..

The main menu uses full graphics power, like in game. It really is broken though, I'm seeing if there are ways I can mod the bios to get rid of GPU boost..

What I am saying is you are not playing the game menu you play the game so in game while actually playing is what would matter is what I am saying. The fix to the boost problem would be Vsync though but still I mean would would want a non solid OC LOL.

You aren't going to damage your card using any kind of software voltage.  Nvidia set those limits well below what would actually do damage.  If you were to mod the bios and do a hard mod with a soldered resistor you could set the voltage to whatever you wanted (but the crap reference VRMs would probably blow at anything over 1.35V)....

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Your CPU overclock seems a little off though. My sandy bridge processor does 3.9gHz with 1.12 volts. You have an ivy bridge, and it really should be capable of 4.4ish gHz at around 1.2 volts. Your voltage is too high for the current overclock.

Ah your right there ... I took the voltage from my other OC-Profile: 1,3V are at an Overclock of 4,6 GHz :).

Your graphics card can't be overvolted so there's not much to say. You can flash the bios if you dare to risk it which will raise the stock volts and net you something ridiculous like an extra +10mhz offset.