Camera ideas

Go to solution Solved by GeorgeWasTaken,

For someone who isn't very inclined in cameras, I'd highly recommend any (with exceptions) mirrorless camera on the market today, like the Sony A6000.

They are essentially the same thing as a standard DSLR, only without the pentaprism within the body, which is an array of mirrors that makes looking through the optical viewfinder possible. 

Other than that, most mirrorless cameras sport a APS-C sensor found in most mid level-pro DSLR cameras, some even have a full frame sensor too! ($$$)

So in short, what are the pros and cons of the mirrorless solutions. 

CONS

- The lack of a truly optical viewfinder means that you will not get an accurate of your subjects prior to taking the photo, rather than with the prisms you see exactly what your eye sees. This isn't so much so a problem in most cases; however it is annoying in low light scenarios when the digital viewfinder can't accurately display what you're looking at.

- Slower autofocus than DSLR (ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE WITH THE A6000)

-Number of compatible lenses is diminished, however with adapters and time, you're bound to have a plethora of possibilities.

-Smaller form factor means smaller batteries... which means battery life is diminished.

-According to other sources, not as customizable in terms of settings as DSLR which shouldn't be a problem for novice.

PROS

-PRICE! Manufacturing the pentaprism within standard DSLR's mean $$$. Omitting that part greatly reduces cost.

-Form factor. Mirrorless cams are so small, they often get mistaken for cheapie point and shoots if you have say a 20mm prime lense on it. 

-You don't look like a professional. When you're taking photos for leisure, you really don't want to look like a pro; you want to be invisible or not taken as seriously. Any pro will tell you   that when they get nasty remarks in museums for taking photos, and your potential clients may even act more natural, and allow for more candid shots.

-BURRRRRRRST. The A6000 can shoot 11fps in burst, holy shit. Why? The camera doesn't have to account for lifting a mirror prior to shutter, so the speed increases.

Now the aforementioned Sony does almost cost $800, however I did find the Canon eos M on Amazon on sale for $368 free shipping.

For an 18mp APS-C sensor this is absurd, with support of 17 fps burst shots with fast sd cards at iso 100, I'm probably gonna jump on this bandwagon myself.

Be sure to post some photos whenever you get a camera! 

Hello, I am looking for a new camera and have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone help me out?

I am looking for a camera with a small(ish) form factor, decent zoom, with good picture quality.

Thanks for the help!  :D

Join the Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate in Star Citizen 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Enlist NOW to join the fleet!!!

I'm guessing you don't want a DSLR because those get really expensive really quick.

I can recommend this seeing how I've personally used it before and it takes pretty good pictures if you're not a photographer.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-1080p/dp/B00B7N9CWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403870719&sr=8-1&keywords=l820

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Hello, I am looking for a new camera and have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone help me out?

I am looking for a camera with a small(ish) form factor, decent zoom, with good picture quality.

Thanks for the help! :D

A camera that seems to be widely popular and known for it's great quality is the Sony DSC-RX100M II. Not sure if that fits your budget but it's apparently very good. So many people on YouTube have bought it and can't stop raving about it. I hope that helps. :D

Here's a video review on it by the very popular Marques Brownlee:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

A camera that seems to be widely popular and known for it's great quality is the Sony DSC-RX100M II. Not sure if that fits your budget but it's apparently very good. So many people on YouTube have bought it and can't stop raving about it. I hope that helps. :D

Here's a video review on it by the very popular Marques Brownlee:

-vid-

Looks pretty good acutally. I just don´t know if I should get it for the price it has as a regular everyday camera. But I don´t know

Join the Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate in Star Citizen 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Enlist NOW to join the fleet!!!

Looks pretty good acutally. I just don´t know if I should get it for the price it has as a regular everyday camera. But I don´t know

I understand that and you're not alone in your thinking. Many people who have bought it also struggled at the price but all I can do is to suggest to you that you do some research and even look at sample photos and videos (if you like) taken with said camera and I think that you'll be sold. But it is your money and definitely your choice. My only regret is that I didn't buy this camera over my Canon EOS 700D. Don't get me wrong the 700D is great but I kinda got talked into by my parents and one of my sisters and I could've saved myself many $$$$ by going with the Sony DSC-RX100M II :(. Once again, I'm not trying to talk you into as the many written professional and user as well as video reviews speak for themselves. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Micro four thirds is the way to go IMO - really small form factor, loads of lenses and accessories, cross compatibility and at a reasonable price! Take a look at Lumix or Olympus, they make exceptional cameras. 

For someone who isn't very inclined in cameras, I'd highly recommend any (with exceptions) mirrorless camera on the market today, like the Sony A6000.

They are essentially the same thing as a standard DSLR, only without the pentaprism within the body, which is an array of mirrors that makes looking through the optical viewfinder possible. 

Other than that, most mirrorless cameras sport a APS-C sensor found in most mid level-pro DSLR cameras, some even have a full frame sensor too! ($$$)

So in short, what are the pros and cons of the mirrorless solutions. 

CONS

- The lack of a truly optical viewfinder means that you will not get an accurate of your subjects prior to taking the photo, rather than with the prisms you see exactly what your eye sees. This isn't so much so a problem in most cases; however it is annoying in low light scenarios when the digital viewfinder can't accurately display what you're looking at.

- Slower autofocus than DSLR (ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE WITH THE A6000)

-Number of compatible lenses is diminished, however with adapters and time, you're bound to have a plethora of possibilities.

-Smaller form factor means smaller batteries... which means battery life is diminished.

-According to other sources, not as customizable in terms of settings as DSLR which shouldn't be a problem for novice.

PROS

-PRICE! Manufacturing the pentaprism within standard DSLR's mean $$$. Omitting that part greatly reduces cost.

-Form factor. Mirrorless cams are so small, they often get mistaken for cheapie point and shoots if you have say a 20mm prime lense on it. 

-You don't look like a professional. When you're taking photos for leisure, you really don't want to look like a pro; you want to be invisible or not taken as seriously. Any pro will tell you   that when they get nasty remarks in museums for taking photos, and your potential clients may even act more natural, and allow for more candid shots.

-BURRRRRRRST. The A6000 can shoot 11fps in burst, holy shit. Why? The camera doesn't have to account for lifting a mirror prior to shutter, so the speed increases.

Now the aforementioned Sony does almost cost $800, however I did find the Canon eos M on Amazon on sale for $368 free shipping.

For an 18mp APS-C sensor this is absurd, with support of 17 fps burst shots with fast sd cards at iso 100, I'm probably gonna jump on this bandwagon myself.

Be sure to post some photos whenever you get a camera!