overclocking fx-8320 issues

In my bios I overclocked my 8320 to 4200MHz, it booted up fine and I went to go into CPU-Z and that is saying I'm only running at 3700MHz. Everything else in the bios is set to auto. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 and my CPU cooler is the cooler master hyper 212 evo. I also noticed my temperature barely changed. It only went up a few degrees and is still around 20°c. I always thought overclocking greatly changed your temperatures. I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong or if its my motherboard.. Thanks!

AMD FX-8320@4.7ghz|8GB Avexir Core Series Ram|Phanteks Enthoo Pro|Gigabyte Windforce GTX 760 4gb|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|Corsair CX600

do not overclock an 8 core FX on this board this motherboard you have does not have the power delivery system to even run an FX 8 core chip at stock clock speed and voltages, you will kill your motherboard which in return might take down your CPU with it...and i'm not kidding i'm dead serious.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

do not overclock an 8 core FX on this board this motherboard you have does not have the power delivery system to even run an FX 8 core chip at stock clock speed and voltages, you will kill your motherboard which in return might take down your CPU with it...and i'm not kidding i'm dead serious.

can you recommend a new mobo? Under $100?

AMD FX-8320@4.7ghz|8GB Avexir Core Series Ram|Phanteks Enthoo Pro|Gigabyte Windforce GTX 760 4gb|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|Corsair CX600

gigabyte 970a-ud3p is the best for the bucks and you can overclock all you want on it..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Do you really need the extra performance? If no, just leave it. If yes, youre better off selling that cpu and get any i5 and cheapest s1150 board. Spending 100$ is a bit useless

Do you really need the extra performance? If no, just leave it. If yes, youre better off selling that cpu and get any i5 and cheapest s1150 board. Spending 100$ is a bit useless

The cheapest, recent i5 is like $185, the i5-4430 and the cheapest board is the MSI H81M-E33 at $45; the total's $230. The other option would be a Sandy i5-2320 for $180 and a Gigabyre GA-H61M-S1 for $33 after rebate; total's $213. These ignore Microcenter and heavily discounted options along with private selling/buying. In OP's situation, he'd have to sell his CPU and mobo for at least $200 to avoid any issues with notable money loss and with selling easily depreciating products, he'd have to find a really gullible, technology-ignorant, or outright stupid person to get $200. I'd expect $100 at the very least since I'd be worried about a CPU that was overclocked "wrong". The best case I'd say is leave the CPU and mobo as is or find a way to lower the performance of the FX-8320 and save up for Skylake, the 2016 FX chips, or even Broadwell at the very least. Right now, it's just burning money by buying, selling, and buying while finding out there's much better CPUs in about a year or two. I'd rather buy, leave, wait, and buy a better and recent CPU and mobo.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

The cheapest, recent i5 is like $185, the i5-4430 and the cheapest board is the MSI H81M-E33 at $45; the total's $230. The other option would be a Sandy i5-2320 for $180 and a Gigabyre GA-H61M-S1 for $33 after rebate; total's $213. These ignore Microcenter and heavily discounted options along with private selling/buying. In OP's situation, he'd have to sell his CPU and mobo for at least $200 to avoid any issues with notable money loss and with selling easily depreciating products, he'd have to find a really gullible, technology-ignorant, or outright stupid person to get $200. I'd expect $100 at the very least since I'd be worried about a CPU that was overclocked "wrong". The best case I'd say is leave the CPU and mobo as is or find a way to lower the performance of the FX-8320 and save up for Skylake, the 2016 FX chips, or even Broadwell at the very least. Right now, it's just burning money by buying, selling, and buying while finding out there's much better CPUs in about a year or two. I'd rather buy, leave, wait, and buy a better and recent CPU and mobo.

Guys, this is 69.99$ afer rebate...if he can get like 20 or 30$ for the current cheap a$$ motherboard that makes it an upgrade that wont break the bank and if the op as a 29$ CM hyper 212 cpu cooler or anything better he can clock this CPU mush higher and this will give him a big performance kick for not much $$...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Guys, this is 69.99$ afer rebate...if he can get like 20 or 30$ for the current cheap a$$ motherboard that makes it an upgrade that wont break the bank and if the op as a 29$ CM hyper 212 cpu cooler or anything better he can clock this CPU mush higher and this will give him a big performance kick for not much $$...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The OP has a micro-atx board and a bitfenix prodigy. He can't get a good matx overclocking board. Only an upgrade to Intel would make sense but the question is how much more performance he wants. If hes gpu bound everywhere, no point upgrading or overclocking that cpu :P

If you want your CPU to run at 4.2Ghz you will need to go into the BIOS and disable the turbo, choose 21 as your CPU Ratio and you're done.

Temperatures don't really rise unless the CPU is under heavy load.

Hey guys, i actually got my cpu up to 5.0 ghz on my board I just didnt feel safe with the voltages even though it was completely stable.. my temps rose to around 30 degrees vs. the normal 20 degrees Celsius I get.  Im probably going to get a new motherboard considering i need one anyways and then overclock the hell out of it. 

Hey guys, i actually got my cpu up to 5.0 ghz on my board I just didnt feel safe with the voltages even though it was completely stable.. my temps rose to around 30 degrees vs. the normal 20 degrees Celsius I get.  Im probably going to get a new motherboard considering i need one anyways and then overclock the hell out of it. 

monitor your VRM temps i'm sure they are WAYYYY beyond safe temps !!!!!! you will kill your system..

The OP has a micro-atx board and a bitfenix prodigy. He can't get a good matx overclocking board. Only an upgrade to Intel would make sense but the question is how much more performance he wants. If hes gpu bound everywhere, no point upgrading or overclocking that cpu :P

i actually plan to upgrade to a GTX 760 or 770. And i would rather not get an intel :P

wasnt aware of the mATX...sorry

Best case if OP's deciding to get rid of anything and wants to move up to a better CPU and mobo since it's pretty much pointless to upgrade slightly or sidestep when everyone knows that Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell-E, and AMD's FX chips will be alive in someway in 2015-16. I didn't mention anything about best case if OP wanted to stay, overclock, and buy a new mobo.

This isn't like going from an AMD Opteron 1212 to an AMD FX-8320 or an Intel i5-4430. This is going from a FX-8320 stock to overclocked or an Intel i5-4430.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

monitor your VRM temps i'm sure they are WAYYYY beyond safe temps !!!!!! you will kill your system..

yes, thats why I didnt feel safe with the temps and removed the overclock after a couple of minutes. 

wasnt aware of the mATX...sorry

I actually have a corsair carbide spec-02 now. size doesnt matter anymore. 

can you recommend a new mobo? Under $100?

A sub 100$ board that can handle a 8xxx well doesn't exist.

It sure as hell doesn't exist for mATX especially.

Error: 410

A sub 100$ board that can handle a 8xxx well doesn't exist.

It sure as hell doesn't exist for mATX especially.

the gigabyte 970A-UD3P has the same power delivery as the gigabyte 990FXA-UD3...wich is an ''8+2" digital power phase with good enough quality heatsinked VRM's i linked it already for 69$ on newegg...this will support and allow great overclocking of an FX 8 core chip. i used it for 6 months with my FX at 4.6GHZ and got ZERO issues, vrm temps where just perfect all the time.

the gigabyte 970A-UD3P has the same power delivery as the gigabyte 990FXA-UD3...wich is an ''8+2" digital power phase with good enough quality heatsinked VRM's i linked it already for 69$ on newegg...this will support and allow great overclocking of an FX 8 core chip. i used it for 6 months with my FX at 4.6GHZ and got ZERO issues, vrm temps where just perfect all the time.

some people say it's hit or miss, but that and the M5A97 are the only decent options. 6

Error: 410

some people say it's hit or miss, but that and the M5A97 are the only decent options. 6

well...from my experience the UD3P was awesome really...and the M5A97 EVO is only a 6+2 board and cost more..i dont know but personaly i recommand the UD3P...

How to really find the power delivery? I didn't find any in the specification.

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

How to really find the power delivery? I didn't find any in the specification.

Finding out which pwm chip it uses. I wouldn't trust specs from the manufacturer, they all lie about how many phases it trutly has.

Finding out which pwm chip it uses. I wouldn't trust specs from the manufacturer, they all lie about how many phases it trutly has.

won't really matter as i mentionned already i overclocked an FX-8320 for about 6 months on this board and it's fine...vrm temps never exceeded 80c at any settings and i was able to get my chip stable at 4.93GHZ but my cpu cooling solution was holding me back..

I want to build a budget AMD rig. The motherboard that is really cheap is the MSI 970 Gaming, and i will put an 8320 on it. I am not going to do any crazy overclock maybe 4.4Ghz will the 970 chipset do this overclock well?

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |