Stuck between the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm and AKG K240 MKII

Go to solution Solved by NannerBeans,

The DT 880 are a bit above my budget though...

Oh are they priced higher? Well go for the DT990 then. 

Stuck between the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm and AKG K240 MKII...

A few things about me: 

• I play bass and I have a few videos on YouTube with bass heavy mixes since they're cover videos after all
  • I listen to almost all genres but mostly progressive metal and funk jazz
  • I prefer semi-open back so I can (maybe) hear my environment in case of emergency and can use it for office work
  • I play MMORPGs and use Ventrilo sometimes, so in a sense I'm looking for one that is compatible with clip-on mics such as the Zalman ZM-Mic1 and AntLion Modmic 2.3/4.0
  • I care less about the design of the headphones and more on the performance, durability, and reliability
  • I tend to sweat a bit on my ear since I live in a tropical country, usually around 33-35 celsius
  • I don't have a dedicated AMP and DAC but I do have an audio interface, M-Audio Fast Track Pro which says on their website that it has a "Working Range: 32 to 600 Ohms" so I guess that's it, right? (I bought this interface a long time ago with no prior knowledge to impedance and headphone power, so I'll be surprised if you tell me that these can power up to 600 Ohm cans) This is the link I got the specs from: http://www.core-sound.com/FastTrackPro/2.php
  • If I do need another amp and dac I will get the FiiO Olympus E10

So what do you think I should choose? Thanks all!

With headphones with that high of resistance you will need a good amplifier to drive them The rating you found online for your interface might be for a newer model so you don't know if it will work for sure

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

With headphones with that high of resistance you will need a good amplifier to drive them The rating you found online for your interface might be for a newer model so you don't know if it will work for sure

Or not, really depends on listening tolerances. But DTs CAN be powered off a mobile device just fine

The ease with which a headphone is driven is determined by impedance AND sensitivity. The ability of a headphone amp to drive a set of headphones is determined by the amount of power it outputs at the impedance of those headphones. "32 to 600 ohms" tells you absolutely nothing.

The only thing you can do is to try first and buy an amp if you want more volume. Even though the AKG has a lower impedance, it may not be any easier to drive than the Beyers due to low sensitivity.

Will a FiiO E10 Olympus be enough to drive them?

Will a FiiO E10 Olympus be enough to drive them?

Probably, if you don't listen to dynamic music.

I just updated my original post to prevent confusion and added the link where I got my interface's specs.

He says he likes a lot of bass and with a resistance that high they would barely get any bass running off on board audio or a cell phone

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

What do you mean by dynamic music?

He says he likes a lot of bass and with a resistance that high they would barely get any bass running off on board audio or a cell phone

They run just fine off of my cell phone albeit mine has a pretty good amp for a phone. It's not as hard to run as most people think although there is a good amount of people that will need an amp. That's why we always tell people try it with what they have first. It really doesn't affect the bass. It's just how loud you can get it. 

They run just fine off of my cell phone albeit mine has a pretty good amp for a phone. It's not as hard to run as most people think although there is a good amount of people that will need an amp. That's why we always tell people try it with what they have first. It really doesn't affect the bass. It's just how loud you can get it. 

What headphones do you use? I have a Note 3 as my day to day phone. 

What headphones do you use? I have a Note 3 as my day to day phone. 

It's in my signature but I have owned a lot of headphones in the past and sold them. Currently I have Modded Fostex T50RP V3 from Mayflower. They are definitely my favorite pair of headphones I've ever used. Next comes Beyerdynamic DT770 which I sold once I got the Fostex. I prefer closed headphones so those are my favorite. I also used AKG K612 wiht a modmic when I game because I wanted a pair of open headphones to hear myself and the wider soundstage. The DT770/DT990 might not run on the Note 3 so you will likely need to get an amp but nevertheless, try it without first. For an amp, the Fiio E11 is pretty good for mobile use. 

Edit: Also, since you say you live in a tropical country, the velour pads on the Beyerdynamics are super nice. I can't stand leather in the summer. It's just not as comfortable. 

heres a video reviewing a an AMP seems like a good one for the money since it has the ODAC built in

It's pretty expensive for me. I have a local dealer than can hook me up with a FiiO e10 Olympus for 87 USD.

It's in my signature but I have owned a lot of headphones in the past and sold them. Currently I have Modded Fostex T50RP V3 from Mayflower. They are definitely my favorite pair of headphones I've ever used. Next comes Beyerdynamic DT770 which I sold once I got the Fostex. I prefer closed headphones so those are my favorite. I also used AKG K612 wiht a modmic when I game because I wanted a pair of open headphones to hear myself and the wider soundstage. The DT770/DT990 might not run on the Note 3 so you will likely need to get an amp but nevertheless, try it without first. For an amp, the Fiio E11 is pretty good for mobile use. 

Edit: Also, since you say you live in a tropical country, the velour pads on the Beyerdynamics are super nice. I can't stand leather in the summer. It's just not as comfortable. 

Yes, based on the reviews I saw on yt they are very comfortable and plushy. But the AKGs include velvet earpads too. What do you think?

Yes, based on the reviews I saw on yt they are very comfortable and plushy. But the AKGs include velvet earpads too. What do you think?

How much are you paying for each of them?

Edit: If they are the same price then definitely the Beyerdynamics. Also look into the DT880 because that's semi open and more neutral. It might be better since it won't overload you with bass. 

What do you mean by dynamic music?

Music that has not had the dynamic range compressed. e.g. mostly acoustic genres like classical. Sounds like that shouldn't be problem for you.

Uh, no. Frequency response is not affected by how the headphones are powered. It all comes down to whether the headphones get loud enough form a source because human ears are less sensitive to bass at low volume. And again, impedance alone does not determine how easy a headphones is to drive, it's a function of impedance and sensitivity.

It's pretty expensive for me. I have a local dealer than can hook me up with a FiiO e10 Olympus for 87 USD.

as @NannerBeans  says try them out with out the amp first just know that with out an AMP you most likely won't get the ful effect of the headphones I know a lot of people that complain that their 150ohm headphones sound like crap on their PC's and phones. but it is all personal preference

How much are you paying for each of them?

Edit: If they are the same price then definitely the Beyerdynamics. Also look into the DT880 because that's semi open and more neutral. It might be better since it won't overload you with bass. 

167 USD for the Beyer and 136 USD for the AKGs. If my audio interface is not enough then I can buy the FiiO Olympus for 87 USD. The big downfall of relying on a big ass audio interface though is mobility - I will only be able to use my headphones on my desktop and maybe my phone (but highly unlikely since I have a decent 32 Ohm Shure SE215 LTD already for it)

167 USD for the Beyer and 136 USD for the AKGs. If my audio interface is not enough then I can buy the FiiO Olympus for 87 USD. 

I'm going to say the Beyers. That would be my pick. Although have you looked into the DT880? Because I think that would suit you a little bit better.

I'm going to say the Beyers. That would be my pick. Although have you looked into the DT880? Because I think that would suit you a little bit better.

The DT 880 are a bit above my budget though...

Oh are they priced higher? Well go for the DT990 then. 

The FiiO Olympus are enough to power them, right?

Yeah way more than enough. 

Thanks man you really helped!