Spilled water on smartphone - should I be worried?

Cs342

Hi guys, today I spilled a few drops of water on my HTC One M8. Most of it fell on the front-facing speakers and I wiped it up pretty quickly. The phone is working perfectly and nothing seems to be broken. Should I be worried about it being damaged over time or am I fine? I saw a video of the HTC One being waterproof so I'm not too concerned atm

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The one is not water proof, but  yes, it should be fine. 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

The one is not water proof, but  yes, it should be fine. 

So I don't have to worry about the speakers being damaged?

Hi guys, today I spilled a few drops of water on my HTC One M8. Most of it fell on the front-facing speakers and I wiped it up pretty quickly. The phone is working perfectly and nothing seems to be broken. Should I be worried about it being damaged over time or am I fine? I saw a video of the HTC One being waterproof so I'm not too concerned atm

its not really water resistant i think...but ur phone should be fine i guess...

So I don't have to worry about the speakers being damaged?

Are they working?

I mean if nothing broke immediately then 99% of the time nothing will happen, it takes quite a lot of water to damage a phone, ive dropped my iphone in puddles before

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A few drops your fine. I used my s4 in the rain before. probably not the best idea but as long as it doesn't get in under the back cover i don't see what the issue is. as long as it is not completely submerged, I wouldnt worry.

If you're worried put it in a jar with rice surrounding it in a warm place...

But by the sounds of it, you should be fine :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

No 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Are they working?

I mean if nothing broke immediately then 99% of the time nothing will happen, it takes quite a lot of water to damage a phone, ive dropped my iphone in puddles before

A few drops your fine. I used my s4 in the rain before. probably not the best idea but as long as it doesn't get in under the back cover i don't see what the issue is. as long as it is not completely submerged, I wouldnt worry.

thanks guys :) the speakers seem to be working fine. I thought water and electronics don't mix but apparently my speakers don't seem to have been affected by being in contact with water. interesting.

thanks guys :) the speakers seem to be working fine. I thought water and electronics don't mix but apparently my speakers don't seem to have been affected by being in contact with water. interesting.

water will find a hard time getting in, really its being submerged that is the problem as the pressure forces water inside

I have seen videos of people pouring bottles of water over laptops and nothing happening

For example at about 6:30

http://www.cnet.com/uk/videos/new-macbook-air-torture-test-at-always-on/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

water will find a hard time getting in, really its being submerged that is the problem as the pressure forces water inside

I have seen videos of people pouring bottles of water over laptops and nothing happening

so even if i spilled water on the speakers they won't get in? O.o

I always take videos, like that, that do water tests with a pinch of salt; you have no idea what type of water is being used, it could be very distilled water which has a lesser effect on the device (though can still have some due to residual residue on metal or any other material that can conduct electricity in solution). But, as you said, if the water does not get inside the components then nothing will happen of course.

so even if i spilled water on the speakers they won't get in? O.o

It could do, but it may not. If the phone was on at the time and is still working now then nothing is likely to happen. If the phone was off at the time but working now I would recommend drying it out for a little while using the rice method; the water may have gotten somewhere that is not electronic and is waiting to be moved, this is unlikely to be the case and I wouldn't worry but if you wanted to be safe then it won't hurt the phone to dry it out.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

I always take videos, like that, that do water tests with a pinch of salt; you have no idea what type of water is being used, it could be very distilled water which has a lesser effect on the device (though can still have some due to residual residue on metal or any other material that can conduct electricity in solution). But, as you said, if the water does not get inside the components then nothing will happen of course.

It could do, but it may not. If the phone was on at the time and is still working now then nothing is likely to happen. If the phone was off at the time but working now I would recommend drying it out for a little while using the rice method; the water may have gotten somewhere that is not electronic and is waiting to be moved, this is unlikely to be the case and I wouldn't worry but if you wanted to be safe then it won't hurt the phone to dry it out.

The phone was on at the time. I dried it off and immediately turned it off and it's working perfectly now.

I always take videos, like that, that do water tests with a pinch of salt;.

Oh agreed 100% it was just something to prove a point 

So the phone should be 100% fine right?

So the phone should be 100% fine right?

No idea, only you can tell is that, there is always a chance water can damage a device but it is not guarenteed

I personally wouldn't worry a single bit

I've dropped some water on my 920 a bit too many times, but its still completely fine.

I'd say its fine.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

My 2nd gen ipod touch is still alive and I dropped that down the toilet xD but it does have a tee damage though :( but it still lives so yarp

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

No idea, only you can tell is that, there is always a chance water can damage a device but it is not guarenteed

I personally wouldn't worry a single bit

Why wouldnt u worry? just curious