WD blue won't spin down, want silence

ibbadib

Hey there,

Sorry if this is easy, I really searched google a billion times to try and figure this out.

I have a WD blue as my secondary HD. I want the drive to spin down when not in use.

I have set the power manegement HD turn off feature to 1 minute (I will set it up to about 3-5 when I can get this to work).

Now when the drive is idle for more than one minute it will not spin down. I have even checked the resource manager to see if some program was calling the drive. But none was. See picture

Why won't my drive spin down? Any suggestions? Programs that can do this? Anything?

post-25330-0-24627000-1403784904_thumb.p

It sounds like a weird issue. Could be a problem withthe HDD itself. The feature works fine for me.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It sounds like a weird issue. Could be a problem withthe HDD itself. The feature works fine for me.

It used to work for me aswell... But after like a month or so, it doesn't.

I think it might help if I formatted the HDD. But it will take sooo long to get the games and stuff back on there...

I think I've found the problem

Go into your BIOS (or UEFI, depending on your motherboard) and there will be power settings there. I get the feeling that there is a setting in the BIOS that spins down the drive when idle. That could be disabled.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

• 2 weeks later...

Go into your BIOS (or UEFI, depending on your motherboard) and there will be power settings there. I get the feeling that there is a setting in the BIOS that spins down the drive when idle. That could be disabled.

Sorry didn't see your post till today. I spent a week at the Danish national championships (swimming). I'll see if that works:-)

There was no power option to change anything about my HDD. :-(.

Thanks anyway.

Find the power window in control panel, click advanced settings on the profile you are using, set the time it takes for the before the disk will spin down when it is inactive. 

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options

post-11076-0-15346700-1404674576_thumb.j

MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE POWER PLAN THAT YOU CHANGED

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Find the power window in control panel, click advanced settings on the profile you are using, set the time it takes for the before the disk will spin down when it is inactive. 

@ibbadib apparently tried that already to no avail. 

attachicon.gifHDD sleep.JPG

MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE POWER PLAN THAT YOU CHANGED

As you can see I already did that. I also wrote that in #0.

Thanks anyway.

post-25330-0-99068500-1404754412_thumb.p

I think I've come a little closer to a solution today, by doing some testing.

I first formatted the HDD to see if that would help. It didn't. It still refuses to spin down after 1 minute.

I removed the power to the HDD. Weirdly my PC wouldn't boot, even though my boot drive is my SSD. It said: "no operating system found", I checked all cables and it still wouldn't boot.

I plugged in the HDD again and then it booted just fine. What baffles me is it won't boot without an empty HDD installed, but it will with the empty HDD installed... Weird...

Anyway that makes me think it's some windows crap that is doing this. Or the BIOS, which I will check now.

EDIT: set UEFI to default settings. Didn't help. Set the boot option 1 to the Samsung SSD instead of Windows boot manager. Same issue as above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and please tell me if I have to clarify anything:-).

Edited by ibbadib

I think I've come a little closer to a solution today, by doing some testing.

I first formatted the HDD to see if that would help. It didn't. It still refuses to spin down after 1 minute.

I removed the power to the HDD. Weirdly my PC wouldn't boot, even though my boot drive is my SSD. It said: "no operating system found", I checked all cables and it still wouldn't boot.

I plugged in the HDD again and then it booted just fine. What baffles me is it won't boot without an empty HDD installed, but it will with the empty HDD installed... Weird...

Anyway that makes me think it's some windows crap that is doing this. Or the BIOS, which I will check now.

EDIT: set UEFI to default settings. Didn't help. Set the boot option 1 to the Samsung SSD instead of Windows boot manager. Same issue as above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and please tell me if I have to clarify anything:-).

Another question: I ofcourse backed everything on my whole PC up, before I formatted the HDD. Just now when I recovered the back up, My HDD is still empty. I used the Windows 8 system copy function similar to windows 7 (not filehistory). And I made sure I backed up both my SSD and my HDD.

WTF?!

Please help as I don't want to download all my steam games again on a 4Mb/s internet connection :-(.

I spent the last two days trying to figure this out. Because I couldn't even boot without the secondary drive i figured formating C would fix the problem.

So i backed everything up with the built in system image in Win 8.1 and formatted. I then reinstalled windows 8, and tested to see if the drive would spin down. And it did.

But for some reason the system restore couldn't see the bacup I made that same day. I figured MS changed something in that feature from win 8- win 8.1, so I tried updating to win 8.1.

I tested one more time to see if the HDD would spin down, and it did:-). BUT I still couldn't restore my backup. I did some digging and found out I should do the following:

Boot with my backup HDD plugged in and my WIn DVD inserted.Then choose repair my PC-->troubleshooting--> advanced options--> restore from system image, and pick the image. Windows could see the image, but couldn't restore becuase: "Can't restore an image to a PC with different firmware, the image use a EFI and this PC use BIOS". WTF!? I changed nothing in the BIOS. So I tried loading the defualts of the UEFI, didn't help. Tried updating the UEFI, didn't help.

So I am stuck to download all my programs and stuff again (except my games on the secondary HDD), luckily I nothing of importance on the drive.

But if anyone know what is happening and why I can't restore I would be grateful for some help:-).

At least my original issue is solved:-)

• 5 months later...

Hello, I am bringing my old thread up as I do not want to start a new one.

My HDD will now sping down according to my set timer. But once in a while I get theese "bumps" in activity, where something calls it just for a second and it spins back up.

How can I detect what program is calling the HDD and delete it?

This is what I mean: http://imgur.com/VMSWlLs

Thanks