Thunder storms and PC'S

raptorboy78

Its really stormy here and IDK what to do, should i unplug my PC from the wall? what do you guys normally do?   

Its really stormy here and IDK what to do, should i unplug my PC from the wall? what do you guys normally?   

IF you live where the powerlines is not under ground or you live on a farm in the middle of nowhere then yes

There's 3 tall cell towers close to me so I am safe for lighening.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

IF you live where the powerlines is not under ground or you live on a farm in the middle of nowhere then yes

I live in Houston,Texas.

if you have good safety stuff in your house it should be just fine, otherwise if you worry unplug and make sure that the plug is FAR away from the socket as the charge can jump 1-2feet or 20-60cm

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

My laptop's ethernet port was damaged by lightning. Lightning hit something, the house's power was cut for a moment and when I rebooted my laptop (which shut off, it was connected to mains) the ethernet port was dead.

So from what I understand, power came into my PC through the power, and left by the ethernet port (hence breaking it).

if you have good safety stuff in your house it should be just fine, otherwise if you worry unplug and make sure that the plug is FAR away from the socket as the charge can jump 1-2feet or 20-60cm

WOAH 2ft thats crazy ever happen to you?

WOAH 2ft thats crazy ever happen to you?

nah, its just actually possible if lighting goes through your wires in the house, tho 2 feet would be SAFE, 1 foot probably safe aswell, but im not sure who would be so lazy as to say, "Meh cant be bothered to move it 1 more foot" :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Its really stormy here and IDK what to do, should i unplug my PC from the wall? what do you guys normally do?   

i love my $700ish invesment to death, so even though i have a power strip, i still unplug it unless im using it. yanking a cord takes almost no effort

I would. For some reason my PCs like lightning (as long as it's a little ways away). They seem to run a touch faster.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I also have 3 cell towers around me. I still use a surge protector.

A surge protector could be useful when thunder storms hit. I use APC surge protectors. I also have a surge protector from Monster that covers products up to X amount of money which is a pretty nice thing to have.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If you live deep into a city it's fine, I live in south Brooklyn and we have had plenty of thunderstorms, I leave stuff plugged in all the time even though we have overhead power lines. If a surge hits and wrecks my laptop I would not be concerned, my specs are poop. (see profile)

I would. For some reason my PCs like lightning (as long as it's a little ways away). They seem to run a touch faster.

Wait what? Explain how that would make the PC run faster

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Always use a surge protected strip. Even that is not 100% guaranteed. I never had a PC fried from lightning but one of the HDMI inputs on my LG LCD got fried from a thunderstorm. If a storm gets extremely violent then I start unplugging everything.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

If you live in a rural area like myself, definitely turn off and unplug. You do not want to see what happens to things (personally) when they get struck by lightning. While it looks cool, what it destroys is no longer cool. :lol:  I'm extra cautious so I purchased a surge protector for 39$ from Amazon (300,000 insurance cover it claims) but even then I dare not let my PC stay on during anything more than just rain.

Always use a surge protected strip. Even that is not 100% guaranteed. I never had a PC fried from lightning but one of the HDMI inputs on my LG LCD got fried from a thunderstorm. If a storm gets extremely violent then I start unplugging everything.

Wow, the same happened to my Sanyo TV! :o

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Wait what? Explain how that would make the PC run faster

I don't know. They seem to run a touch faster when there's lightning a few miles away.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)