Case for mobile system

I'm currently in the process of gathering components for a new main gaming build, as a result of this I'm planning on moving my current build (the one in my sig) into a new case at some point in the future.

The idea is, I want a portable rig I can bring with me to LAN parties.

As you can see in my sig, the build is running off of an m-ATX board. This does not mean I'm limiting my options to super compact cases, in fact I don't mind going for a mid tower either. I do have a few preferences though.

The case needs to have:

• Great/Good Air Flow (No overly restrictive front panels)
  • Decent build quality
  • Fairly neutral aesthetics (no fancy gaming bling, for reference I really like the Corsair Obsidian aesthetics)
  • It needs to be pretty cheap, as it is only for my "backup" portable rig (anything below or at $80 usd, should be fine)
  • It shouldn't be too large
  • It should still be capable of containing high-profile CPU air coolers, like the Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Currently I'm looking at options like the Corsair Carbide 300R or maybe the Air 240 once it's out. It may seem like I'm limiting myself to Corsair cases, but this is not true, I just don't know much about anything else. Keep in mind, I have no plans of ever doing any water cooling on this build, so radiator support isn't a necessity. Any suggestions you may have, would be highly appreciated.

Now I also have a question with regards the Carbide 300R case:

1) Is it possible to mount the Phanteks PH-TC14PE (or similar) CPU Cooler with the side panel fans mounted?

I know I'm being a little difficult and I have a lot of very specific requirements, but I hope it's possible to find something to fit my specific needs.

Thanks in advance.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R CPU: Intel i7 2600k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w. 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 HDD: Random WD 500GB (It's old) PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial in pull Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz GPU: ASUS GTX780 DCUII SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo HDD: WD Green 3TB PSU: Corsair AX860i

Monitor: BenQ 24" XL2410T Keyboard: Logitech G19 Mouse: Logitech G500 Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital Headphones: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Wait for the Corsair 380T. It's gorgeous.

Graphite%20380T%20Wht%20Down.png

Wait for the Corsair 380T. It's gorgeous.

That does look pretty cool. I'm not in any hurry (my new build is draining all of my money! :P), so I'll keep that one in mind as well.

Edit: Nvm, looking closer the 380T is mini-ITX only, so I wont be able to use it. :P

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R CPU: Intel i7 2600k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w. 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 HDD: Random WD 500GB (It's old) PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial in pull Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz GPU: ASUS GTX780 DCUII SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo HDD: WD Green 3TB PSU: Corsair AX860i

Monitor: BenQ 24" XL2410T Keyboard: Logitech G19 Mouse: Logitech G500 Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital Headphones: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

That does look pretty cool. I'm not in any hurry (my new build is draining all of my money! :P), so I'll keep that one in mind as well.

Edit: Nvm, looking closer the 380T is mini-ITX only, so I wont be able to use it. :P

If you want to downsize, you need to make sacrifices - get an mITX board.

You could just get a 350D or 450D and call it a day :P.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You could just get a 350D or 450D and call it a day :P.

Normally I would probably do just that, seing as I really like the Obsidian series. Unfortunately they are a bit too expensive for me (130$ for the 350D, 150$ for the 450D, prices in Denmark suck). Remember, this is for my "backup" pc only. My main rig will be using the 750D. :)

If you want to downsize, you need to make sacrifices - get an mITX board.

I'm sorry, but this is silly. There are plenty smaller form factor cases out there, capable of housing m-ATX boards. I'm mainly looking for advice as to which of them is good, as I have no experience with any of them. Also it is not even certain that I will be downsizing all that much, all I want is something I can move easily (e.g. no Full towers).

I'm not going to spend a lot of money on this build, as it is only for backup purposes and for taking with me the few times a year I go to LAN parties.

Bitfenix Prodigy M is the smallest and most compact mATX case, but its ventilation sucks and it is not such a great case overall.

Bitfenix Prodigy M is the smallest and most compact mATX case, but its ventilation sucks and it is not such a great case overall.

Yeah, thats also what I concluded after watching the Compact SLI bulid guide from Linus. Unfortunate. :/

Edit: Or was that the Phenom? I can't recall...

Edit2: That was indeed the Phenom M, but they seem very similar.

Phenom's airflow sucks even more, I had the ITX variant.

Normally I would probably do just that, seing as I really like the Obsidian series. Unfortunately they are a bit too expensive for me (130$ for the 350D, 150$ for the 450D, prices in Denmark suck). Remember, this is for my "backup" pc only. My main rig will be using the 750D. :)

I understand your point. You don't want to spend too much on a back up case but there really isn't that much out there that fit your criteria on that budget. My hope is that you can find a case that is cheaper in the EU because that does happen. Especially when the company is based in the EU. Maybe you can find them for cheap in Denmark. Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 and Define Mini are other options. That said the 300R is great too, for the fitting just visit the websites and look at the max cpu cooler height for the case and the height of the cooler.

@Caimath

Oh, you're also from Denmark, where are you buying?

@Caimath

Oh, you're also from Denmark, where are you buying?

I usually use edbpriser.dk to find the cheapest option. If I'm lazy I'll usually default to Komplett.dk, though. They are sometimes a bit more expensive, but I've had good experiences with them.

I understand your point. You don't want to spend too much on a back up case but there really isn't that much out there that fit your criteria on that budget. My hope is that you can find a case that is cheaper in the EU because that does happen. Especially when the company is based in the EU. Maybe you can find them for cheap in Denmark. Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 and Define Mini are other options. That said the 300R is great too, for the fitting just visit the websites and look at the max cpu cooler height for the case and the height of the cooler.

I'll have a look at the Fractal Design ones. I know I'm being a bit difficult, thanks for helping me despite this fact. :)

I'll have a look at the Fractal Design ones. I know I'm being a bit difficult, thanks for helping me despite this fact. :)

No problem bruh, I have very specific wants for the components I buy too. I know the feeling :P.